1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

yahoo 301 dangerous?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by alenses, Apr 10, 2005.

Today I found my site disappeared from the first 3 pages on yahoo on many keywords. My website used to rank very high from Dec. 2004, and I have rencently been useing CO-OP (about 30k weight using about 8 keywords) to advertise my website. 2 weeks ago, I found yahoo does not handle url very well, for example, it show [my web site].com/url.html instead of www.[my web site].com/url.html, so I added 301 redirect in php, and if it founds the url is not start with "www" then it will redirect it to full url.

Rencently I found some of my keywords ranking became worse, and 3 days ago, yahoo showed my website as [my web site].com/url.html on my main keywords, it used to show www.[my web site].com/url.html . Today I found lost these keywords' ranking.

Could it be yahoo algo change or my 301 redirect is wrong ? or co-op did a negative effect on it

alenses, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  2. MyPages

MyPages Active Member

Best Answers:
    What I think I've found with Yahoo! is the right way to handle 301s is to forward the link for some amount of time, then 404 the old link.

Everything looked like we were set up at the new URL. But looking at Yahoo!'s cache, I would see that it actually had the old URL.

We only started 404ing Friday afternoon but are already seeing some positive results from it.

MyPages, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you checked the Server Response Header for the Non-WWW URL? What is the URL?

ResaleBroker, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  4. alenses

alenses Guest

Best Answers:
    This is the code I use

$host=strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
    if ($host=="[mysite.com]"){
    $url="http://[www.mysite.com]".$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
    header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    header("Location: ".$url);
    header("Connection: close");
    exit;