1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

XP Retiring in 2008 (for those who don't know already)

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Jag100, Sep 5, 2007.

1. picklemy

picklemy Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that Mac's are pretty much useless now for what they were originally designed for. The whole big thing about Mac's was the Risk chips, the mass capabilities for eating up media processes without blinking an eyelid.

Well thats now all gone out the window now that a Mac is just a PC with a different OS.

On the XP/Vista front, i wont go anywhere near Vista until its as compatible as XP.

picklemy, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  2. spid4r

spid4r Guest

Best Answers:
    I have had vista installed yesterday and uninstalled today. Vista is a HUGE memory hog and not recommended for computers running with <2 Giga Ram .

spid4r, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  3. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    So very true they were rendering monsters and hence why a lot of graphics people and modelers used macs. Well now that they're using the same hardware as standard pc's the advantage isn't barely there anymore.

InFloW, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  4. CGlines

CGlines Peon

Best Answers:
    when i was hired as a new employee to the company im currently working at, they provided me with a laptop that had vista pre-loaded on it. it absolutely killed my productivity. vista is TERRIBLE. it offers NOTHING that matters to me that XP doesnt. its just prettier. every single time you want to take an action on vista, it asks you 100 times if "You're sure you want to do that". long story short, it was so bad that i went to my new boss and asked him if my new laptop could be exchanged for one with XP on it. best move i ever made since joining this company.

CGlines, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  5. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean Vista with the GUI.

worldman, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  6. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you explain how to run Vista without GUI ?

techpr, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  7. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista's GUI is probably less strain on CPU and memory if you have a decent video card. Considering it's now rendering that with a video card not using your CPU to do it.

As for UAC you can disable it if you like (I don't recommend it). What it's doing is trying to limit you from performing administrative level tasks without your knowledge. It's basically what happens in a linux environment when you need to do something that requires root access. Although at this point it's a little annoying, I imagine as more programs don't write to program files constantly and other area's that are suppose to be restricted this will be a less of a problem.

InFloW, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  8. j_o

j_o Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They have already stopped selling xp liceanse keys...now you have to buy vista business edition and mircrosoft considers that the equivalent to a liceanse key for xp pro

j_o, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  9. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    Can someone help me understand this better? I plan to buy Windows XP Home Edition sometime this month. Does this mean my XP licence will not be useable after Microsoft stops supporting XP? Will I be allowed to use the Windows XP long after the support is gone? All that information in the article confuse me. I've never tried Vista and I already don't like it, XP has served me good and I think it's the best version of Windows ever created so I'm not considering jumping to Vista any time soon. Tell me, if I buy XP licence now, will all this mumbo jumbo affect me as a user (not considering the support)?

bsdpowa, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  10. Chris Blood

Chris Blood Peon

Best Answers:
    No your license will still work but you won't get support for it. I suggest you upgrade to vista when service pack 1 for it comes out though. I have vista and I've only has 3 or 4 problems with it.:)

Chris Blood, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  11. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Is that 3 or 4 big problems or just problems... LOL

I have XP pro and it has no problems.. So I ask, why in the heck would I want to trade something with no problems. For something that has problems?

Does not sound like something I would be interested in..

I would would rather run pup Linux on a pen drive, before I would take that over bloated, mega prompt window jumping up thing!

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  12. Chris Blood

Chris Blood Peon

Best Answers:
    Their just simple problems like folders becoming invisible when moving their location but that problem can be fixed by restarting the PC.

13. Boulder

Best Answers:
    Oh so you mean, I can not just grab folders and drag and drop them, with out the folder going invisible inside where ever I dropped it? And than having to restart my computer the next time I need to find that file or folder.. Okay.. yea that sounds like a simple little problem and a real good way to get angry at an OS.. I drag and drop and cut and paste a hundred or more files a day man.. That sounds like an OS that would not work for me!

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  14. Chris Blood

Chris Blood Peon

Best Answers:
    No this actually only happens once and a while , NOT every single time and it only happens when u move something to the desktop. Sorry for not stating that before.

15. Boulder

Best Answers:
    Oh okay, not so bad than, I guess! But that does sound a little bit like the old Win98 forte.. LOL

That aspect of when in doubt? *REBOOT* I remember so well from the old 98 days.. LOL

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  16. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    I have not once had this happen on a vista machine I have.

InFloW, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  17. Chris Blood

Chris Blood Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i guess microsoft hates me:(

18. XandroZ

XandroZ Peon

Best Answers:
    The UAC is very bad implemented.Even if I am login as administrator ask for administrator permission.
    Even if I don't transfer files to the root or program files the UAC ask for permission.

The biggest security method that Microsoft implemented in Vista:mad:
    Ask the user, if something wrong happen is user fault the SO asked for permission.

XandroZ, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  19. mahz

mahz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have the UAC off. There's no need for it unless you button mash and click randomly when you use an OS and you need the extra permissionary level of protection to save your OS from yourself. I do recommend leaving it off. If there are only 3rd party threats to having the UAC off, there are generic and caught by generic-level ware-protection like AntiVir.

I also turned most of the effects off. Not a big deal. I don't need my windows to slither into the start bar when I minimize them.

The only real nuissance I've had is that Vista has memory leak problems. While it seems hit or miss if your machine is effected by it especially if you have a lot of RAM, my 1 gb laptop has a lot of memory loss and needs to be restarted periodically. Also when Vista first came out, if you hibernated/slept your laptop, you'd lose wireless functionality with almost all drivers but that has been fixed.

I'd be fine with Vista if it wasn't for the memory problem.

mahz, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  20. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can put Vista back to the basics from the CP panel.

worldman, Dec 21, 2007 IP