1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Xoom money transfer

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by ifeallday1, Aug 27, 2007.

I am a U.S. and I want to do a bank to bank transfer, but my bank charges waaaaaaaaay too much for money wires.

I am looking at xoom and it looks good, I wanted to know if someone can break down the registration and money transfer process.

I never used them so I want to make sure its safe.

Registration
    1.) Do I have to call, mail or fax information?
    2.) Is there some type of deposit thing (like paypal/moneybookers)
    3.) how long does the process take?

Transfer
    4.) How do they take the money from my Bnk Acct?
    5.) What is the transfer process like?
    6.) how long does the process take?

Feel free to PM or reply. Thanks.

ifeallday1, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. tsenseless

tsenseless Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been trying to send a xoom transfer for 4 days (4 different transfers). With no luck yet.

I have a paypal account which is verified and has been active for several years. I've used it to send and receive payments from clients and have quite a few verified buyers on my account.

I had a fraud problem with my bank of america account and wanted to use them to send myself money so I don't starve and can pay my bills while I wait for my new BofA card.

So far, I've spent over 3 hours on the phone with them, have faxed them my passport and drivers license, gave them all necessary information, and they still refuse to send my transfer and are 'holding' my money.

Now they want to contact paypal directly and see if I'm fraud or not. They say I'll know tomorrow morning their time (PST).

After hearing about this I started looking around about paypal in the philippines. Apparently, if paypal gets word that you're living in the philippines they will delete your account. I did not know this prior, I currently have about 1500$ in my account which after this news I decided to attempt to transfer to my BofA checking account. Hopefully that process completes before my account gets shut down or paypal will just 'keep' my money as they're so infamous for.

When I was in college I received around 20,000$ in loans for school, I didn't have to show up in person to apply for the loan, and didn't need to give them anything other than my info (name/address,etc) and SSN. I find their security verification system is a joke. Also, Instead of just, calling you, as any normal company would when they think there might be fraud on your account. They just cancel your order. I've placed orders then had them canceled while sitting on the phone waiting for customer verification to pick up.

My advice, if you don't need the money immediately, and dont care to have an anal probe to send money, then they'll be ok. But I have not as of yet received any money from their service.

tsenseless, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  3. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    bobchrist, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  4. ifeallday1

ifeallday1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the much needed insight. its unfortunate that you went through that.

Yeah, I heard about how PayPal keeps people's money (they're probably making a killing over there).

I hope others haven't had the same type of experience.

ifeallday1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  5. ifeallday1

ifeallday1 Peon

Best Answers:
    In response to: bobchrist

I know what xoom will want to put under their FAQ. but I want to know what the people have actually experience.

Of course xoom will say what they are a good choice.

ifeallday1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. arvind_srivastava

arvind_srivastava Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent service. No denying the fact.
    I have had an American and Indian paypal acc both with paypal and have always used Xoom to transfer money to India.

If you are sending money from US for the first time, they will call you to cnfirm the transaction. They will then transfer the funds in 2-3 days else bank transfer will be done in 4-5 days max.

Incase you will be uploading funds from our bank acc to your paypal and then sending it to xoom, better way would be to use WU.
    Cheaper than Xoom and instant pickup is possible.

Hope this helps.
    Incase of any further questions, feel free to post here.

Al

arvind_srivastava, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. Coder

Coder Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes Arvind I am totally agree with you.
    Xoom is faster and trusted...

Coder, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  8. goforhunt

goforhunt Banned

Best Answers:
    No doubts...great service!

goforhunt, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  9. tsenseless

tsenseless Active Member

Best Answers:
    ifeallday1,

As an update to my original post (well after the fact). I have since sent like 10 or 20 transfers through xoom and all were made available in less than 2 hours (Except for one where their server screwed up and didnt register my payment). I haven't experienced anything like my original post after my original transfer. So it looks like what I was saying in my first post still holds true. When you first use this service, they will give you an anal probe, and then afterwards you can use it without much issue.

tsenseless, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  10. enovator

enovator Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use Moneybookers for this purpose.

enovator, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  11. labwiz459

labwiz459 Peon

Best Answers:
    Xoom is a SCAM. I was burned by these people and it took nearly 30 days to get part of my money back. There is a really good post by a Filipina lady that has collected a BUNCH of stories of Xoom mishaps.

http://www.fmqinc.com/xoom-money-transfer-complaints-filipinos-beware/

labwiz459, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  12. lershelsheder

lershelsheder Banned

Best Answers:
    they aren't scam - actually my friend from india just sent me $50 here in the philippines and within minutes i already receive the money through cash

lershelsheder, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  13. bamb00

bamb00 Peon

Best Answers:
    The process of transferring is different now, especially when your transferring $ 1,000 +
    They asks lots of documents to verify..
    Not sure if it's safe to gives such as DL, passport, SSN, company name and address

bamb00, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  14. mail2kamaal

mail2kamaal Banned

Best Answers:
    they r proving them self as scam.

mail2kamaal, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  15. vietnamimpressive

vietnamimpressive Peon

Best Answers:
    they are not scam but poor support service to the receiver.
    i have an receiving account blocked by them by NO PROPER answer why.

vietnamimpressive, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  16. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    Xoom is awesome. I've done business with them many times over the last year and I've found them to be reliable.

TheVccMatey, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  17. cromarty

cromarty Peon

Best Answers:
    they just took 2'000.00 from my credit card and never sent the money and tried to call them and e-mail them no-reply so do not use them if you want to keep you're money

cromarty, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  18. Dave11

Dave11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Xoom just ripped me off for $150. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE ! Someone hacked into my Xoom account and sent $150. Since they got into my account they had access to the list of people I send money to and set up the whole transaction. Must have had access to the transaction #, secret word etc. How they were able to pick up the money is beyond me. Fake ID I guess. But after filing the claim and doing everything Xoom asked they DENIED the claim. Unbelievable ! Then they say there is no appeal. Seems like if they cannot figure out how it happened they wiill deny, deny and deny your claim. There is no way I authorized this transfer so if you want your money at risk go ahead and use Xoom !

Dave11, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  19. noneed

noneed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did they charge ur CC or paypal? nt sure if they still accept paypal.

noneed, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  20. Siestakey

Siestakey Peon

Best Answers:
    Xoom is fastest and safest but xoom cuts 10% charge from money transected...

Siestakey, Jul 13, 2010 IP