1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Xhtml 1.0

Discussion in 'Programming' started by obenix, Apr 21, 2005.

What does it mean when some websites put in the sign W3C XHTML 1.0 ?
    Is it important to show these compliances?

Attached Files:

obenix, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  2. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it usually means the site validates xhtml 1.0, but i've seen many cases where the code doesn't validate at all :)

it's a good way to show the user that the site they're viewing validates, which would usually mean that there has been a lot of tweaking and care with the site development itself. the sad fact is, the end user doesn't really care/know at all, and probably wouldn't notice or care if a site validated or not.

grantmoney, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  3. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    That's what I thought too... If users doesn't care 2 hoots whether your site is validated or not, so why put it? There must be some sort of importance here.. otherwise there won't be a need to validate...:confused:

obenix, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  4. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i guess it's like car manufacturers putting a v8 badge on a car. most pedestrians won't care what sort of engine a car has when it drives past, but the owner of the car does :)

grantmoney, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  5. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's usually one of two reasons:
    - Egotism - getting a site to validate in XHTML 1.0 can be difficult, especially with complex layouts
    - Promoting web standards

nullbit, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Yeah, all of us that care to do it "Right" are egoists. That's the reason there are standards. :/

The standard exisits because if your code is proper and the end users browser is complient you will be guaranteed to get the proper display on all browsers.

Getting M$ to follow standards has been difficult. M$ in their egoistic ways break it diliberatly and arrogantly. That's the only place I see ego in this.

Of course coding properly can be hard, but not so if you just read the tags and use the validator. It hands you what you need to fix any problems just like a good compilier will.

noppid, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  7. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    No you minsunderstood my comment, I meant some people display the little XHTML logo as an ego thing (some also do it to promote the standard, as I suggested in my second point). Standards are good I know, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

nullbit, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

Best Answers:
    Ah, I took it wrong. I was surprised to see that coming from you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. (oh yeah, and I like to brag, so I'm hush now.)

noppid, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  9. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried myself hard with my new site and finally at time of promotion , i had to paste some people's code over pages. ( Link partners) and guess what was the result ?

w3c validation gone. Those link partners code will never gets validated. :(

Tuning, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  10. noppid

Best Answers:
    If you mean the coop code. Shawn did not make the image tag XHTML and terminate it with />, it's just >.

Fix that and you'll get xhtml. (if that's whatcha mean.)

noppid, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  11. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nope, its not co-op, its some other link partners code with lots of images and all. btw, I can fix it, then I will see a new link partner and this process goes on...

Tuning, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  12. noppid

Best Answers:
    Yes, us perfectionists have a tough life. But you'll fix it now and then again when ya get a new problem if you're like me.

noppid, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  13. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    It's also a convenience thing. If you want to validate a page, you have to go to the W3C validator page and type the URL. This button is actually a link and the validator will validate the referrer page, whatever it is. So, once you added this button (e.g. as a standard footer), you can just click on it and see if your page conforms to the standard.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 21, 2005 IP