1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

www.website.com vs. website.com : backlinks, PRs & numbers of pages are different

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by medhahari, Oct 12, 2004.

How can it be, and how everything can be optimized?

[​IMG]

medhahari, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It isn't uncommon for relatively new sites -- some of your backlinks are in one form and some in the other. Eventually, Google and other search engines will recognize the two as the same domain but in the meantime it is treating them as if they were separate sites.

1. Make sure that all of your own INTERNAL links are consistent -- in most cases, it is best to use the www form because that's what people expect and because backlinks are most likely to be in that form unless you specifiy othewise.

2. Contact as many of your external backlinks as you can and ask the site owner/webmaster to change the link to the www form

3. Wait and be patient -- as I said, Google will eventually figure it out.

minstrel, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is just a matter of time, same thing happened to one of my sites, but Google picked it up and everything is normal now.

fryman, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The only way it's going to be picked up as the "same" is if it actually is the same. One of the sites redirecting to the other. You can have totally different content on domain.com than you do on www.domain.com... It could basically be a totally different site.

If you want to do it "right", you would want to do a 301 redirect from one to the other. For example how if you go to any URL in digitalpoint.com (for example http://digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/ and it will automatically redirect you to the correct URL (with the www). It works the same for search engines. They will see the redirections, and then they will know (for certain) it's the same. That's why links are identical for digitalpoint.com, www.digitalpoint.com, www.optigold.com, www.data-point.com, etc.

digitalpoint, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  5. medhahari

medhahari Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanations!!!

"it is a matter of time"? I have been observing it for more than 2 months.

medhahari, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's true, of course... I assumed from the question in the initial post that this wasn't the case but rather just a matter of inconsistent linking.

7. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I agree 100% with Shawn. Google isn't always quick to pick up on that. My site is over 6 years old and for as long as I can remember "G" had different PR for the www version and non www version even though both were exactly the same. I had problems using a redirect or rewrite because I used MS front page and the redirect seemed to screw up the extensions. It was actually only this morning that got around to adding the 301 redirect to my htaccess file with the help of Eric Walker over in the " Your Google PageRank" thread. I checked it and it seems to work great. Hopefully Google, Yahoo and all the rest will realize their the same now. And if they combine both sets of links (I hope) the backlinks will more then double.

lowrider14044, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Did you do this? Most of the time that I have seen examples of Google not recognizing the sites as the same it is because even internal links are inconsistent, and you still should try to ensure as much consistency as possible in external links.

9. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I tried contacting as many as possible. Without much success. The site has been up for so long that we had quite a few natural links pointing not only to the non www url but also using the site name instead of anchor text. On top of that quite a few from foreign countries where I don't speak the language. Hey....I'm an American...I have a hard time speaking one language. :) It just turned out to be a real pain. Using the re-direct was by far the easiest. Even thiough it won't help the anchor text situation it should eventually fix www/non-www situation.

10. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Speaking of internal links, I do have a mix of link types in the site. All on the main pages are absolute ie: http://www.mysite.com/directory/page.htm but on some of the internal pages I just used relative links ie: ../../page.htm. Browsers seem to do just fine with relative links and so do spider simulators but do you think SE's would perfer that every link was absolute?

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    also having different anchor text isn't a problem either, nor is using just "mysite.com" as anchor text, as long as the URLs are consistent

13. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    It would be nice though if the anchor text was keyword based rather then site name. Unless keywords in anchor text isn't as important any longer. Personally I wish the SE's would put more importance on content rather then backlinks. But I doubt that will happen in my lifetime. :)

14. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    The emphasis on keywords stemmed from the SE's trying to reward site on the basis of sontent. The better and more abundant the content the more often certain terms would arise. The problem is that this apsect of the algo is too simplistic and everyone has long since gotten wise to it.

reli4nt, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  15. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Everyone gets wise to everything eventually, especially SEO's. :) Personally I liked it better when good valuable content and natural themed links was king and got you decent placement in the serps. Without any stuffing meta's with keywords, repetition of keywords, stufing comments, hidden text, hidden links or any other underhanded tactics. You could spend your time developing your site and making it better rather then wasting so many hours trying to move up 10 spots. OK, rant time is over. Time to get back to trying to move up a spot or two. :)

16. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    lol

I agree with you 100%. Something definately got lost somewhere along the way.

reli4nt, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  17. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    ... like the point.

reli4nt, Oct 12, 2004 IP