1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WTF?!? Why is google not doing something about this?

Discussion in 'Google' started by gadgetsguy, Aug 27, 2007.

I received an IM from a friend tonight who was quite distraught about a website he had received a link to

http://www.serptimized.com

I had glanced over something Site Pro News had sent me a couple days ago about this, but did not pay it alot of attention.

Tonight I decided to see what my friend was fussing about, and I am astounded to say the least that Google has let something like this go on for so long! :confused:

How serious of a threat is this stuff, and is it something we need to secure our sites against? I own hundreds of domains, so if this crap is real, then it looks like my summer vacation is going to be cut really short. :(

gadgetsguy, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a fake tool i think. We will soon fine out,

Rob

Robert Allen, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  3. jajed

jajed Peon

Best Answers:
    What could Google really do about it anyway? They've already banned the site from their own search results, so all they could do is start legal proceedings. It's probably not worth their effort, if they shut one down, more will just pop up. They are probably working on a technical fix, since this has been getting more and more attention.

jajed, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    What gets me is that everyone thinks this is a new problem...
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=372735&postcount=157
    It's not, the problem is open proxy servers, many of which are pulling ad revenue off of others content, which lessens the motivation for the proxy operator to fix the problem. AdSense and the Google Crawl Caching Proxy Servers exacerbate the problem.

This may help in defending against the problem:
    http://www.seoegghead.com/blog/seo/how-to-guide-prevent-google-proxy-hacking-p210.html
    Here are some good links:
    http://www.seobook.com/archives/002420.shtml
    http://www.seofaststart.com/blog/google-proxy-hacking

In reality, Google should be able to identify these problem proxy sites and ban them...

NetMidWest, Aug 27, 2007 IP
    r3born likes this.
  5. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been doing a bit of reading, and this seems very legit ... the only question is how far is its reach?

Many SEO sites are talking about this exploit ... but nobody is really saying how much of a problem it is.

Why Google has not taken action is what really disturbs me? :confused:

gadgetsguy, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. alarik

alarik Active Member

Best Answers:
    why not?one of the reasons may be that the big G already has all the power, you know what happens if there is no real competition? In any domain, competition is a must, or people will start ignoring and abusing the power.

alarik, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. domaininvest

domaininvest Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmmmm this is slightly worrying to say the least

domaininvest, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  8. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After all it's a working explicit and it could remove any domain from the main google index to the supplemental results, watch out webmasters.

IEmailer.com, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  9. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
  10. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    This seems like a REALLY BIG problem. I guess I have to pay better attention, because I didn't even know about it until now. Something like this could really poison Google's index, making them far less valuable as a search engine. Are they working on fixing this problem, or are they just going to wait until it's exploited on a mass scale?

davewashere, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  11. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone stop to think if the known IP addresses do not match, the request to remove the URL would not work??

The Google engineers are not CS majors for nothing. ;)

Sem-Advance, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  12. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    You are comparing apples to oranges ...

The problem lies in the fact that it is not a 'request to remove' per se ...

Google, since BIG DADDY, uses multiple datacenter indexing to determine overall rank and results, and even passes some of the decision-making down to the crawlers ... it is far more likely NOW than ever before, that your site can lose the coin toss with the proxied site for the dominant content.

If the proxied URL can slip into ONE datacenter as the authoritative site, then your chances of having a crawler dump YOUR site as duplicate content just went up 10 fold ... :eek:

13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok first crawlers cannot make ranking decisions as it is left to another set of robots which are not involved in the crawl process.

Next we will explore what is known as checks and balances and how they are applied in business.

If you submit a site to google through Webmasters tools you must verify that the site is indeed yours via an meta tag added to your page or construction of a page which google names.

This is a check to keep things balanced ;)

Now to remove a page it would seem to reason, there would be a check & balance in place. So for example if a request to remove the URL was in place a crawl of the server to indicate whether the owner removed the page would be a logical check

IE

URL removal request received:

A crawl is done.

Document found on server = No removal

Document no longer found / blocked by robot instruction. = URL Removal

Check & Balance :cool:

As for the duplicate content issue... Google keeps a date of first inception on all documents. Therefore the proxied site would be the one receiving the dupe content filter.

Sem-Advance, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  14. vickyiori

vickyiori Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Sem-Advance
    That's quite logical. Now I'm not that much worried. :) Nice Blog.

vickyiori, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  15. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    This doesn't bother me a bit, google is a billion dollar company they would have something that would mess them up.

kirby009, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  16. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    OK ... the proxy exploit is FAKE ... Sem-Advance says so!

Dan Theis and Danny Sullivan are full of sh!t I guess ... :(

17. salmonbones

salmonbones Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This website looks like a data mining operation - exactly why I can't tell - in fact I don't imagine the data has anything other then curiousity value.

They are basically collecting a list of domains that people would like de-indexing, and probably also the IP address that made the request.

salmonbones, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  18. batman75

batman75 Peon

Best Answers:
    The thought occured to me, maybe G wants this problem to be left open, to "test" the webmaster "community". So, a few sacrifices have to take place, like getting a few "good" websites knocked out of the index, so what. If google can find "bad" webmasters or bad SEO folks, it is worth it to them. And, I think on their policies they state that google can not/will not be held responsible for indexing concerns. Something along those lines.

Google is giant and has lots of gaps. I sort of doubt they are not aware of this problem, but then at the same time, maybe they don't and if they do maybe they are not sure how to fix it just yet without messing up all the data within the servers. It may not be an easy fix.

batman75, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  19. gadgetsguy

gadgetsguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep telling yourself this ... looks like somebody is about a good year behind on his Google knowledge ...

Makes for a great bedtime story, but the flaw to your system is that not even 4% of the results in Google are submitted by the sites' owner(s) ...

Again ... your Google info is a bit dated.

I AM NOT TRYING TO PISS WITH YOU MAN!!! :(

I am trying to help you, and my fellow DP'ers -- this is a very REAL exploit that can have very real repercussions on those of us that make our livelihoods (or a good part of them) at the hands of Google.

Educate yourself with facts - not assumptions, because everybody knows what happens when you ASSUME .....

:eek:

http://www.seofaststart.com/blog/google-proxy-hacking
    http://www.sitepronews.com/archives/2007/aug/24.html

20. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to me you are missing the whole point of how this works.

It is not a removal request, have a read here: http://www.sitepronews.com/archives/2007/aug/24.html

I have had this happen to me before. Had to block the proxies from accessing my site.

m0rtal, Aug 28, 2007 IP