1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WSC Setup on Win 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by lavadude, Apr 26, 2006.

I notice the manual has instructions for WinNT. Are there updated instructions for Win2003 server?

lavadude, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  2. DELREY

DELREY Peon

Best Answers:
    WSC really doesn't work on Win2003. I did get it to work once, sort of by accident because I could never repeat it. Make sure you only have the Java 1.2 JRE and no others. I seem to remember that you have to crash the installer in the middle, because it fails in the end and will remove what it has done if you let it finish. Beware trying it, because you will fight with it, likely for hours and hours. There are some other things in IIS 6 to worry about, like application pools and web service extensions. It was a while ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I hope this helps at all. My best advice, use Windows 2000 or Red Hat if you can. If you have to use Win2003, Optiskin is better than the standard interface and doesn't require the WSC.

DELREY, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  3. lavadude

lavadude Guest

Best Answers:
    WSC really doesn't work on Win2003. I did get it to work once, sort of by accident because I could never repeat it. Make sure you only have the Java 1.2 JRE and no others. I seem to remember that you have to crash the installer in the middle, because it fails in the end and will remove what it has done if you let it finish. Beware trying it, because you will fight with it, likely for hours and hours. There are some other things in IIS 6 to worry about, like application pools and web service extensions. It was a while ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I hope this helps at all. My best advice, use Windows 2000 or Red Hat if you can. If you have to use Win2003, Optiskin is better than the standard interface and doesn't require the WSC.

Okay, crashing the installer in the middle doesn't sound like a good idea. When you say use redhat, do you mean with WINE? Or is it possible to run FM Pro 5.5 natively on redhat?

lavadude, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  4. DELREY

DELREY Peon

Best Answers:
    No, the WSC can run natively on Red Hat, though FM Pro Unlimited cannot. You would need to run Unlimited on Windows on another machine, and whatever web server (Apache) on the Red Hat machine.

DELREY, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  5. lavadude

lavadude Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for your help Delrey. It's slowly coming into focus. I'm thinking of running apache on Windows 2003. Anybody have instructions on setting that up?

lavadude, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  6. BigDave

BigDave Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.devside.net/

have a really good package that will install Apache, MySQL, TOMCAT, PERL and PHP onto a windows NT based machine (NT/2000/XP/2003)

I have used it successfully for years. very simple all-in-one package, you can opt to install just Apache if you so choose

BigDave, May 28, 2006 IP