1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writing "samples" for prospective clients: How many of you actually do this?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Nov 9, 2010.

1. waxgirl333

waxgirl333 Peon

Best Answers:
    Those editors ask for pre-published clips, not samples. I work with them all the time and they use established freelancers. On occasion they may ask for something written on spec...that means they may or may not take the article once written. Obviously, Perry Rose, you are talking about a topic that you have not worked in. Folks, don't pay attention to this person. I've worked in publicity for years and editors ask for clips, not samples. If they like you and want to give you a shot they might ask for something on spec but if they use it, it's always paid for.

waxgirl333, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  2. StephanieMojica

StephanieMojica Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, clips is the standard word. Just please guys don't give away original work for free...it waters down the market for all of us as writers.

Stephanie

StephanieMojica, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  3. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    On the few occasions I've been asked for full samples, I sent the requester the 500 words or whatever AFTER I posted it on a parked site I own, with my byline.

That way, you can always argue "duplicate content" if they use the sample ... if they pay for it, you take your copy down.

crabfoot, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  4. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would only accept it if it was for a well known magazine but these publishers just don't pick you out of thin air to write for them either. They more thank likely seen what you write, how you write, and like it.

scotman, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  5. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, newspapers will occasionally want to see samples, so they know you can write on a "special" piece they may want.

Name the editors and the names of the magazines you say you have worked with.

Really? ... Is that what it means? Ok...thanks.

Like 12 clowns at the circus being able to fit in a "funny car" the size of a golf cart, it amazes me how so many on the Internet says the most "huh?" head-tilting crap.

It's almost like the twilight zone.

I'm expcting Rod Serling to come walking into my office.

Rod?! ... Is that you???!

Ya wanna put that cigarette out?

Perry Rose, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Content writing requires little research? Guess we write different sorts of content. Sure, MFA fluff is supposed to not really say anything, but quality articles should be researched. Unless you just want to write stuff that's a rehash of Wikipedia or something on EZine Articles, web content articles can easily take as long or even longer than copy.

YMC, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  7. southflausa

southflausa Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. That is what a portfolio is for. If you are a professional writer then your previous work should speak for itself with a potential client.

southflausa, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  8. writeon

writeon Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I always write quality articles, below are links to some of my work online. The point is that the research you would undertake as a copywriter is far more intensive and wide ranging than the stuff you would need for a 300-500 word informative article.

http://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/news/post/Its-an-Old-Spanish-Custom.aspx
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Places-to-Visit-by-Car-From-Nice&id=3727823

http://www.finweb.com/mortgage/do-you-need-a-solicitor-for-a-remortgage.html
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6664544_education-qualifications-teachers.html
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6677114_hr-training-development_.html

writeon, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  9. premiumwriting

premiumwriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll typically do a discount for a new client, but not a free sample. My discounted rate is still quite a bit more than what I see most writers here charging. My content writing portfolio is extensive enough now that I generally have a relevant sample for most niches anyway, so I've never been asked to do a free sample.

premiumwriting, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  10. homeworker11

homeworker11 Banned

Best Answers:
    I do now "write" a sample for any of my clients ever :D

But yes, I do provide some samples/links to my previous work :)

homeworker11, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  11. vishals

vishals Active Member

Best Answers:
    But what if google has already crawled your site? The client may have no use for the content in that case.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    vishals, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  12. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're almost getting the point ...

crabfoot, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  13. SEOArbiter

SEOArbiter Peon

Best Answers:
    I think submitting samples of previous work or portfolio should be sufficient. Depending on how much you want the job, I suppose.

SEOArbiter, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  14. vishals

vishals Active Member

Best Answers:
    not quite. lets say you put the content on your blog, and google crawls it, before the client gets back to you. Now when he/she is ready for payment, that content is already in google database, becoming relatively less useful for the client. Is that a correct statement?

vishals, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  15. healthdomainbuyer

healthdomainbuyer Peon

Best Answers:
    The OP is talking about spec work -- writing unique samples for a potential client. Traditional magazines generally do not do this. They look at a writer's body of work and make a decision. So when the poster says it's "not the norm," she is correct.

healthdomainbuyer, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  16. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you even write for magazines (not content mills or cheap, never-read small magazines) on a regular basis?

Do you even talk to the staff, the editors and even the regular writers of said magazines?

Just another poster making stuff up (spouting off BS) just so he/she can be part of a conversation.

Like I said to the other poster spouting off her BS, name the editors and the names of the magazines you say you have worked with, along with showing, reliable, sources (links, names) to back that ridiculous post of yours.

Perry Rose, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  17. sethczerepak

sethczerepak Peon

Best Answers:
    I just love when clients ask for "samples" when you have a portfolio full of them. I suspect that this is a means of getting free writing done. After all, if you ask ten writers for one free "sample," you've got ten free articles. I had someone ask them and claim: "How do I know you actually wrote the samples in your portfolio?" Really dude? How will you know if I wrote the sample either. It's ridiculous.

sethczerepak, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  18. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Aww, does it bother you to have competition in that arena?

Why should she have to prove anything to you? I gave you all those things you whined about - plus quoted the guidelines of a mag you claimed sought you out personally and,basically, shot everything you ever typed all to hell. Do you really wanna subject yourself to that kind of abuse again?

You know what? On 2nd thought...I hope she does post it.

And I'm still waiting for your answer to my question:

If you really are the Be All, End All of the written and sold word - as your haughtiness suggests that you believe yourself to be...why are you still here in a cesspool like this?

Senobia, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  19. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

*nods*

Right on.

Senobia, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Whaaaaaat?! You mean those editors, the staff and the writers themselves made it all up?!

Damn them!! *kicks the cat*

Really? Huh. I must have missed where you posted all of those magazines you write for, and those editors names you keep in contact with.... What were they again???

They sought me out? Really? Where did I claim that???

And here all this time I thought that it was me who contacted them, and that it was me who talked to the editor and staff, and it was from them who told me this.

Huh. *scratches head*

I need to stop drinking so much.

Thanks for setting me straight.

She doesn't. But if anyone is going to make such dumbass statements, they should expect to be called on it.

I'm sure there are at least a few posters here who want to be REAL writers and copywriters, so they want FACTS, not a bunch of crap normally read on the Internet.

Hello???

Geez, I thought that at least you would have gotten that one.

Never said I was the "Be All," there, sweetcheeks. I just know there are posters here who want facts, not crap from those who think they are writers (copywriters).

Hey, look at me, for $10, I write for content mills and for webmasters in India, and such and such....!

lol

Again...hello???

Oh, and, uh, this place is not a cesspool, as you call it, princess.

I'm sure the owner of this wouldn't think so.

Perry Rose, Dec 5, 2010 IP