1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writing JUST for the money.

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lightless, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Stephanie Mojica

Stephanie Mojica Guest

Best Answers:
    Writing is one of the hardest ways to make a living. I do it because I LOVE it.

Stephanie Mojica, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about that. But the perception among some non-writers and wannabe writers seems to be vastly different.

lightless, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  3. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not simple, certainly, but one of the hardest? I can think of a lot of jobs that are more difficult. There are jobs that are physically difficult, emotionally difficulty, more mentally taxing, that require more continuing education on more complex topics...I think "one of the hardest" is an overstatement.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  4. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I do my writing by etching words on stone. So I think he got it right there. :D

cd928, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  5. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I always knew you were a caveman at heart, CD :>)

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  6. WritingConsultation

WritingConsultation Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to have a full time job but I have started to write full time since 2008 because I just love it. While I write for a living, the main reason for me to write is because I love to write ever since I was a kid. I think that is anyone wants to write for a living, the most important thing is to love writing because that is the motivation to continue writing rather than giving up half way.

WritingConsultation, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  7. mahadevan

mahadevan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I can relate to WC when he says he used to have a full time job and is now writing full time. I have started doing this since a month and find that this activity is most relaxing as well apart from the monetary aspect.

It really stimulates your brain and keeps those cells active.

mahadevan, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. procopywriter

procopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I absolutely love what I do... AND I do it for the money.

I used to write classical music, and I loved it too. But there was no money in it. Classical music doesn't add dollars to business owner's bank accounts.

Now I write words that sell. And get well paid for it.

Best of both worlds.

I'm not concerned about the $1, $10, even $25 article writers. Those who hire them aren't my clients... and they're not your clients, either if you don't want them to be. There are plenty of clients who already appreciate the value of good copy and are willing to pay premium prices for premium work.

I generally don't write articles. I write sales copy. But I just did a 1200 word article for an existing client for $500. However... this was no ordinary SEO article for the web. It was for publication in a trade journal.

For you article writers out there, this is an area opportunity if you're good at it. Show business owners how to get published in trade journals so they can get all the benefits of advertising and more without having to pay astronomical advertising rates. It can cost $10,000 or more for a full page advertisement, depending on the circulation and other factors. It's not hard to demonstrate ROI on that one. A story typically covers 1 or more pages. And it offers massive positioning, credibility, and PR-factor an ordinary ad won't give them.

Aaron

procopywriter, Feb 4, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  9. leads0122

leads0122 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow...just....wow.
    The so called writers that I have run into in my practice have often had this level of skill. They did not get paid.

leads0122, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a VERY good tip. Magazines, newspapers and books will do as well.

lightless, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  11. diaadriansyah

diaadriansyah Peon

Best Answers:
    Not easy writing for paid from advertiser and I think their have opp for increase business online

diaadriansyah, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  12. sandivalentine

sandivalentine Member

Best Answers:
    Writing for offline businesses is also an excellent way to bring in a steady income. These clients know exactly what marketing can do for their business, but often know very little about online marketing. The Well-Fed Writer is a great book on this topic for anyone wanting to market to brick and morter businesses.

sandivalentine, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  13. raj101

raj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of people tried to make money out of their blogs. Its absolutely true.If you know you can write articles, then whats wrong with it? I think a plan without action is useless.

raj101, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  14. antirem

antirem Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree but I dont think your message is that effective since people who are in it for the money dont care if they are any good at if, if they get paid.

antirem, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  15. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't have a problem with writers who do it for the money, I think many of us have that as a major motivation, especially when it comes to niches in marketing, internet content, PR, ect. However, I agree with you, lightless. It annoys me when I see people with little or no writing skills taking up the job, or those who cannot properly write English refusing to stick with the language they are fluent in.

I think that writing is a wonderful way to make good money from home, but it should be reserved for those who have a certain amount of talent to build on. While I can see the merit in the point that practice makes perfect, no amount of practice is going to help you if you have no language skills.

oo87, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  16. alain94040

alain94040 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a terrible writer but I worked at it, over more than 10 years. I believe in small steps. Just like illustrations, you build a portfolio over time.

When you get started, you may even offer your first gig for free. Just to get a reference. Once you have a reference, you find a couple of low-paying works, which pay by the word.

Eventually, someone likes what you did for them and offers you a better deal: you get a batch order of multiples articles, prepaid. You don't count the words so much anymore (well, you still do, but not for the same reason).

You keep progressing, little by little. Every time you reach a new height, it gives you more confidence to find more gigs at the same level. Then go up again a bit. The first time you write something in the national press, you're pretty happy! Then you do it twice, then it becomes "just the usual". It happens.

My dream? Write a book. I think that's the ultimate writer's dream. Am I the only one?

alain94040, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  17. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are right, always go for what you hav or you will stuck at the half way.

lifeplayer, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  18. harvester

harvester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is completely off-topic, but a poster has written 'it's a plain sail,' meaning that it's an easy course of action. Is this American English? Here in England we would write 'it's plain sailing,' if we would write it at all, which isn't very likely as it isn't used much these days.
    I'm not being pedantic, I'm just curious.

harvester, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  19. CashWriter

CashWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean, it's technically correct, but that's not a phrase that I've ever heard before. Sounds awkward to me :rolleyes:

CashWriter, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  20. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand the frustration in that respect, but the truth is that English is the language in most demand. If people are looking to find jobs more easily, they come to places like this and write articles that aren't up to standard. I don't really blame them, it is the type of people hiring them and the way they want articles just to please the search engines.

I would like to think that these non-fluent writers could find better jobs in their own language, there are many that do but many find it easier to come places like DP.

mspennylane, Feb 13, 2009 IP