1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writing anonymously is a worse choice?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by b. J., Jan 31, 2008.

Recently I launced a blog as an anonymous writer, Im giving no details about who I am and realized that it's not really great.

Your readers dont really care much about ur blog if you're putting personality in your posts. Anyone had any experience with anonymous writing??? There are some good examples around like Fake Steve and Mini Msft - and my blog is about a company just like those examples.

I found it hard to promote, so wishing to come clean :D

b. J., Jan 31, 2008 IP
  2. Toe

Toe Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless the anonymity is your zest, it is better to tell who you are and what you do. To come clean :) People will believe a real person with real posts much more than an anonymous blogger. Probably you can create an imaginary personality, but only if you are sure that unmasking will not ruin everything.

Toe, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  3. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Question is... why anonymous?

You say "it's not really great." - why is that?

What's your site's point in the first place? What are your goals?

Game Producer, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  4. b. J.

b. J. Peon

Best Answers:
    Blog is about a company and gossip related to its decisions. So our character seems to be stronger cause she spreads the gossip from the source.

Why anonymous... cause it's written by an artificial character and that character is a company insider...
    Everybody knows its parody and the blog is a joke but I believe that curiosity may help to put more fun into it.

also, what I mean by coming clean is not announcing everyone that blogger is artificial. ill of course keep the artificial hero around and tell readers "listen this is a joke and the real blogger behind this character is me, and I'm .... blah balh".

b. J., Jan 31, 2008 IP
  5. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm... what's the problem then? :)

Game Producer, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  6. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because being "anonymous" free speech will be get more protection. :rolleyes:

bobchrist, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  7. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    I second that.

Why are you even asking, then? Just keep doing it.

Perry Rose, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  8. mahz

mahz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Harnessing ANY authoritative presence as the blogger is important. Even if you have to make a "stage name" with an About Me page that is completely made up. People want to know who is writing and telling them about yourself commands authority on the issue you are covering. Even the sites you mention, like Fake Steve, have a blogger that the readership still knows something about. Fake Steve's anonymity is one of his characteristics while in your case, you have none.

mahz, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  9. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    well. i think putting your name or at least some contact details to your work is better than having anonymous personality, who knows, there are some who are interested to your write ups then that will also make another profit for you.

carol.prime, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  10. bestofmoney.info

bestofmoney.info Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a good practice but as for me I stay anonymous for the reason my family wouldn't believe their eyes if they knew I blog for money as I have a good regular job :D But I want to be able to quit it one day.

bestofmoney.info, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  11. infogle

infogle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think that people who like some post on some blogs actually come for the information the blog is having rather than the personal interest with the blog writer...

other than this its your own way how you project yourself...

infogle, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  12. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know exactly where you're coming from. Ive never blogged as me personally.
    Id love to make some videos of tips etc but im afraid my current employer will find them somehow!

I work full time and the web bit is all on the side :)

I feel your pain and understand. Sites like johnchow , shoemoney etc work because of the personal touch!

Tom Thumb, Jan 31, 2008 IP