1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writers: Your Rates.......

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Kraven2, Jul 30, 2010.

1. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ha ha yeah I guess I should practice what I preach eh? I do proof read my articles, and I pretty much always proof read my posts on here if I am in the middle of a disagreement... but I quite clearly don't when I am nice and relaxed... too relaxed!! Although reading through it again, I can see two typo's off the top of my head - I would say that is 'numerous', only in the most literal sense. Yes I pay close attention to typos when I am being paid to write for someone. Fortunately if you're using word or open office, it tends to pick a few up for you too, but you can't beat a good old fashioned read through or three!

gvan, to be honest it is not often that I actually offer anything anymore, because I have a very small group of clients who need a lot of work so I don't often have time to dip my toes into other stuff. If I do, I try to pick and choose what I like the look of. Most of my work is written work, although there are other things I can do if needs be, but I prefer these days to stick to writing where I can. Depending on the client this sometimes involves some keyword research, it sometimes involves article submission, and I also do SEO friendly website content redesign from time to time.

To be honest I just want to write really, but obviously on here you need to be a bit of a jack of all trades. I don't really think this is what I am- there's a lot I can learn about linking and SEO despite working in the industry until about a year ago. It's always changing and it can be tough to keeping up with what's new.

Sorry to go off subject Kraven, back to the thread!

j3rr3my8, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  2. allwinners

allwinners Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the ego thing and I had a few "direct" words to say to the person who pulled me up on it, but I guess in some respects, I can appreciate what they say. I think it depends on where the post is being made, and the context in which it is written, but I agree that sometimes, I am writing "passionately" and in "heated" circumstances, and the object is to post quickly, rather than accurately.

I think to be considered a writer we don't have to be perfect 100% of the time, we just have to know and understand how to, captivate an audience with what we say, and I certainly have no problem doing that. These egotistical people who determine the rules of the game based on what they deem them to be, are for the most part wrong. My customers come back for more because they enjoy what I provide, not because they have followed my writing style on forums.

in fact thats a great point to make. I have only ever had one client that stated they approached me for what they saw of my writing in posts on a forum. That person spent $160 within 24 hours, to receive my work.

It amuses when I hear people say "It can take 40 hours to write a great sales letter", and then use that as a threshold to which other should measure themselves. I can put a sales letter (that converts) together in 2 to 3 days, and I charge accordingly. Some writers are too self indulgent, and others are opportunists. I am who I am and I do things my way!

allwinners, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  3. j3rr3my8

Best Answers:
    Well if you don't want to get too bogged down in SEO, then take a look at some of the best journalists in the world, working for the Guardian or the Times, in England, and the New York Post or whatever in America - I don't know which of your papers are well written, but you can bet your bottom dollar that their best reporters are churning out well researched watertight articles and news items ten or twenty times every working day! So I agree with you allwinners, there are no set rules to say that you have to take a particular amount of time to write good stuff. We're all different and that is a wonderful thing!

And for anyone who wants to jump on this comment, I know that people writing for newspapers are not doing the same work as us, but they are putting together work that must be perfectly written and error free, must be well researched, and must grab the readers attention, so I think there are plenty of similarities.

4. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    J3rremy8, Let me jump on to this one. You are right that the writers for these big newspapers must write perfect stories each and every time they publish. But, I do know that the local newspaper, not nearly as big as the New York Times, has a few errors each week. Yep, I said each week. It is a weekly newspaper. Just wanted to point out that not all journalists are created equal. Even though the stories are captivating and interesting they even make spelling errors from time to time. I guess to err is human.

gvannorman, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  5. j3rr3my8

Best Answers:
    Yep, some of the news stories are appallingly written in my local news paper too!

6. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please do not mix up culture & location with a simple post like that of mine. Thanks!

parsibagan, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  7. allwinners

allwinners Peon

Best Answers:
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about or asking for, but I don't do requests :)

8. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Self explanatory!

9. allwinners

allwinners Peon

Best Answers:
    Um yes I totally understand the connection between my post and what you wrote! I have o idea about why you say not to relate it to a "simple post" like yours!?

10. homeworker11

homeworker11 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm just starting out and charging $1.5/100 words for SEO articles.
    Attending writing classes to hone my skills though :)

homeworker11, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  11. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    The capability to have ideas about those things depends on the culture you were raised in, and where in the world you live.

12. raman891106

raman891106 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

I have been doing articles for quite some time, along with writing for my own sites. Writing is my passion and I love sharing it with everyone.

I charge $10 per hour, and generally deliver 3 articles in that time frame. All articles will be thoroughly researched, verified and originals.

I'm good at writing latest IT/Tech related articles. These maybe IT/Tech News, Software Reviews, Reviews of New Makes and Models, How-To's and Tutorials etc.

I do not write outside my field of interest and knowledge to ensure quality and originality in all my articles. This is also a reason why I can give almost fixed & stable price to all my customers.

I take up article writing as a serious part-time business to support my college education, private coaching classes and other needs.

raman891106, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  13. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Love the way this thread is turning out! Healthy discussion, on great topics. That's the stuff that make threads worth reading! So in that regard props to you all :)

Butt(There is that butt again), with the exception of J3(thanks for that btw) everybody stated what they charge, not how they came to that amount. It would be nice to read a little more on that as well.

So those that posted in this thread and stated what they charge, how did you come to this rate?

Kraven2, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  14. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    arf! I was just busting his chops. I'm sure he's an excellent writer. Boy did this thread turn into a fully-fleged spelling bee!

contentboss, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    I think all this talk about language spelling is such a waste of time. In fact it is the people with the BIG HEADS, that are all talk and no action. Sentence structuring and the transition from paragraph to paragraph, is something few have mastered. If you even write at 12th grade level, you do not understand writing.

The average reader reads at a eighth grade level, not that of a person finishing college majoring in English. I can take a high school dropout can turn them into a better writer than the high majority of people on this forum within 12 weeks.

In addition the person will be learning true SEO, 90% of SEO writers should be tarred and feathered. They do not know that SEO is a part way street. Either you know it fully, or you are dangerous with the term.

Getting back to the theme of wages, tutoring by email my learner will double or triple wages within 12 weeks. That means they are above the 55% of others on here regarding wages. They write like an eighth grader, with one super advantage, they draw the people in to read what they have written.

Others can write their perfect library material that will set on the shelf collecting dust. My person will be presenting proposals, not for $20 articles, but for those in the $50 to $250 range. Or for a package of services up to $2,500.

PLUS Mark your, "A content writer merely informs or provides useful information." Is a disgraceful remark. SOME copywriters need to leave their EGO six feet behind, so they can communicate. Someone that can make millions, is not a MERE content writer.

A qualified content writer can do many of the same writing tasks as a copy writer. If the client was selling a physical product, the copywriter would reign. If the client was a service professional, long sales copy would be a complete waste of money. I own five classic British cars, but do not give a bloody toot lad, about watching a British TV program.

So cut the crap that copywriters are better, and that being from England is superior. I know two English skilled copywriter/content writers that are much more useful. The average internet seller today can get a product that already contains a copy sales sheet at under $10.00 with the page developed by a copywriter.

If anything the rates at the top 3% are about even for copywriters and SEO content writers. At 1%, I would through personal experience give it to the writer of copy, the content writer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
    dyadvisor, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  16. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    For now, I am offering re-writing services. And my rate is just only $2 per 300 words. But sometimes
    I go lower depending on the number of articles to be rewritten offered to me. :)

rob485, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  17. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So the more time consuming the job, the less you get paid? Am I the only one to whom that does not make sense?

Kraven2, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  18. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    I get your point but I just wanted to give a little discount to my clients. I didn't say that the discount is
    really that big but it's just enough for my time's value. And I'm doing this because as a starter, who has very
    few connections only, wants to give my time on more articles from a certain client because it's somehow the
    same situation (for me) when I'm looking for a job here in DP.

rob485, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  19. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rob, Click the link in Kraven2's signature and start making more money. Just visit the forum and join. You will be amazed at exactly what you will be able to accomplish with the method that Dyadvisor can teach you. The man has a mind to make money. He is always thinking of a way to make your job easier and the wallet thicker.

gvannorman, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    *cough* bullshit *cough*

Sorry, I have to do something about this cough of mine.

Perry Rose, Aug 1, 2010 IP