1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Write it yourself or hire someone??

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by kisae, May 31, 2007.

1. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

kisae, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  2. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you have the time, it is better to write it yourself. You really never know what you get when you hire someone. They may be just rewriting other articles that they found Online. If you do not have the time, make sure the writer is of good reputation.

allout, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  3. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    very good writers on dp its just finding the correct one ask for samples and examples before you hire them!

LegendaryPosting, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  4. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. that gets me thinking..

If it's rewritten, it wouldn't be duplicate content right? As long as the information is good, is there any downsides to rewritten articles?

I'm sure it's been thought of already, and people probably do this.. but what do you all think about getting good articles and having a writer rewrite it? Would this be kind of "stealing content" in a way?

kisae, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's illegal unless you have the right to have it rewritten (like with PLR content). Otherwise, you can't change something's wording and claim authorship in any way, and you'd have to cite your sources for things taken from elsewhere. What you can do is write on the same subject, but not "rewrite" them.

jhmattern, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  6. enigmatic9

enigmatic9 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you wish to boost credibility then shell that extra dollar and get a better article.
    Apart from facing legal actions you are bound to loose the confidence of your audience if the articles are rewritten.

Dont shy away from the hard work.

enigmatic9, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  7. inkslinger

inkslinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Focus on how to market your site and leave the writing to a freelancer. It'll be of great benefit to you in the long run.

inkslinger, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  8. iska

iska Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a writer, so I always write for my blogs/site, and of course, for customers/clients.

As a writer, my tip for you is to make sure that you clarify your terms and your topic if you later decide to hire one. Identify the things you don't want so that the writer will avoid that if it's anything objectively avoidable. You can also narrow down your topic if it's too vague or too large. This will help you and your writer focus on your topic and improve site traffic.

What sites do you usually build?

iska, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  9. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't like the way they write, you have 2 options:
    1) Fire them and hire some new ones at this Freelance Website
    2) Try writing yourself. You know better than anyone what you want. You just have to put them in good words. It's not as hard as it may seem. I am not a native english speaker (English is actually my 4th language) but I have written some articles that I think are better than those written by "professional" writers.

ablaye, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  10. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
     Rewritten material doesn't provide readers with new value, and rewriting published content without injecting a fresh perspective about it is just straight up tantamous plagiarism. But if you had the right to move words on a published document in order to come up with rewritten material without new concepts, wouldn't this be legal plagiarism? If you were the author of the document you need to rewrite, wouldn't you want to just write a fresh piece out of it?

For real original material, go get someone with a PhD or an MBA or something to create content for your purposes or even ask them to train people already writing for you. Writers with PhDs, MAs and MBAs can provide you with thesis-style writing and logical reasoning. Western-educated people tend to charge more for the same quality, so go and hire educated people from the third world - no difference whatsoever, and you may just get the best by paying them more than the third world rates.

ZeroInfinity, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  11. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I ever needed such services I would have definitely done that.

Flif, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  12. sir_round

sir_round Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a Phd it doesn't mean that you are a good writer! I know people with such degrees in literature but they say that they are not into writing because they don't have the creative juices flowing.

sir_round, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  13. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right - old Al had a PhD, and he wrote something virtually unintelligible to almost 85% of the population! But then again, it was real original work, wasn't it? Exactly my point - you get thesis-style writing and logical reasoning from people with PhDs, MBAs and MAs. Some may have problems writing up concepts about certain things, but I don't think they would have trouble thinking about real original concepts out of it, especially if they have a PHD on it, right?

ZeroInfinity, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  14. hopewilbanks

hopewilbanks Guest

Best Answers:
    The key is finding a writer who writes in a voice that you like. For example, I write in a conversational, personal tone.

The best thing to do is to ask for several samples of their writing before you hire them. If you like the quality of their writing, but you don't like the tone or style, ask if they can write it in the way you like. Lots of copywriters are versatile and do this.

The issue of pay should never be an issue if you're going to hire a good writer. If you are working with a limited income, you can bank on getting what you pay for.

I speak on this from experience, as I used to ghostwrite articles for very little money. I did it because I love writing and I loved the fact that I was helping out the WAHM community (which was my target market then). The problem was that I wrote tons of articles in a short amount of time for very little pay. In the end, I was burned out and had to stop.

That being said, there are really good writers out there who charge affordable rates for small business owners. And then there are the high-dollar copywriters, who write mostly for big businesses and charge accordingly.

Moral of the story is do your research and look for a writer that you can see yourself building a long-term working relationship with.

Hope this helps!

hopewilbanks, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  15. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have the skill and talent to write for yourself, then go for it. Otherwise, it's better to hire a skilled writer to do the work for you.

You mentioned that you didn't like the way your previous writers wrote, did you look at samples of their writing before hiring them?

Another option is to pay an editor to polish the pieces that you've already had written.

latoya, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  16. Borneouk

Borneouk Peon

Best Answers:
    Always try and pay for the best possible writing. It's shocking to see so many terrible articles.

Borneouk, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  17. pstone

pstone Peon

Best Answers:
    The difference between something written by a professional and something by yourself is huge especially when you know nothing about it. It could cost you a lot. If you know what I mean.

pstone, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  18. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Once again, thanks a lot everyone for all your input.

kisae, Jun 26, 2007 IP