1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Write it yourself or hire someone??

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by kisae, May 31, 2007.

Hello everyone,

I'm quite new here on digitalpoint, and I love all the great info and inputs from everyone!

I'm bad at writing content so I tried hiring a writer (several different times), but I do not like the way they write.

Just wanted to ask if anyone uses a decent writer, where you can get one, and how much is the usual or average amount you would pay for decent writing.

kisae, May 31, 2007 IP
  2. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well you can post it in the buy sell section of the forum..

djrishi, May 31, 2007 IP
  3. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you post your offer in the "Buy, Trade or Sell" section.

As for the rates, they vary widely depending on many factors and the best you can do is search for opinions on the topic. There are tons of them so far.

All the best:)

Flif, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  4. pstone

pstone Peon

Best Answers:
    The copywriting section is the place to look for writers

pstone, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you can't write well, then the answer to the question is obvious: don't write it yourself. At the same time, if you want to pay next to nothing (not saying you do), you probably won't get terribly impressive results from hiring a writer. Look for a writer that specializes in the niche or industry to want them writing about; otherwise the articles tend to end up a muddled mess of pretty basic Web research that your readers could have found somewhere else already... unique isn't just about the text. :)

jhmattern, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  6. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies!

I think I will try a writer from here.

I also wanted to know.. how do you know you can trust your writer? That your writer will not reuse or resell the content written for you?

I assume there is a type of written contract that can be used.. If so, is there one that anyone can recommend?

kisae, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  7. MafiaMaster

MafiaMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Although I agree with most of what she said, the bold part is the only part I want to mention. She is right, you are not going to get magazine content or anything worth bragging about or writing home about. However, are you going to get content that gives the information that your site is providing? Yes, you will. The content you will get will do its job. I've seen some exceptional (for what I need) writers that charge a penny or less. It gets the job done.

MafiaMaster, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  8. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you recommend some of these writers you have done good business with?

kisae, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just be sure when hiring a writer that they're style will really meet your goals. There's a huge difference between what many people write targeting search engines as opposed to really writing for readers to build a reputation as an authority site. First decide what you specifically want. Then you can start getting referrals for people who would meet those needs. :)

jhmattern, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  10. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of writers will have their own contract that spells out the rights you're getting with the article. Of course, it's up to you to negotiate the rights you need.

It's not hard to come up with your own contract. Just include your expectations for the article - length, price, due date, and how you expect to be able to use the article/how the writer cannot use the article after the sale.

Something like: (I'm not an attorney. You should always consult with a professional for the most accurate advice.)

latoya, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  11. kisae

kisae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much. That really helped!

kisae, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. moneybully

moneybully Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think choosing a writer has to come from within you. I highly doubt that anyone wants to steal people's niches but if they do come to me, I'll break some knee caps :)

moneybully, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since trust is important to you, here's a tip: hire a writer from the US, Canada or UK.

Why?

Think about this. What if you hire a writer and that writer rips you off or gives you stolen work. What will you do? If the country doesn't have a strong legal system, you're pretty much out of luck.

Contracts mean absolutely nothing if they can't be legally enforced.

marketjunction, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  14. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good point. Before hiring a writer, you need to figure out what the job to be done is. I can tell you that I've built some sites where I didn't need pro-level content. And thus, I didn't spend my time writing it. The job was done as needed.

Now, if you're building your masterpiece site, definitely go as high up the ladder as you can.

Here's another option. Let's say you're building a site that you're an expert on, but you can't write. Go ahead and put down your thoughts on paper the best you can and then pay for someone to edit it. On the pro level, you'll probably save 25% - 50% by doing this. It just depends how much "help" you need.

marketjunction, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  15. Wonderboy

Wonderboy Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I would learn to write. Reading blogs, articles and writing your own blogs will help you to become a better writer. You will also feel a sense of satisfaction when you have completed a good article. It also saved you money.

Wonderboy, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  16. butternyk

butternyk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what kind of articles do uneed. cany specify the details so we can help u further

butternyk, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  17. drnibbles

drnibbles Peon

Best Answers:
    I hire someone as i'm such a bad writer. I would like to learn how to write but for now I leave it for someone that knows what they are doing. I have been using elance.com for help. It has been working rather well

Place an add at elance and see what people bid for your job. Sometimes you get things done really cheap.

drnibbles, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  18. CopyExpert

CopyExpert Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, kisae!

I agree with all the above posters, however it seems when you need some good articles urgently there is no time to start learning yourself!

I've got some ideas regarding your matter. Please check your PM box :)

CopyExpert, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  19. JustWorth

JustWorth Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's another tip. Before you hire a writer, just talk out what you want to say; record it, and write it back out.

Sometimes, people think they're bad at communicating but they really aren't - it's just lack of practice writing. If at the end, you still want to have it polished up, you've at least got something that will ensure the person who writes knows what you want to say.

JustWorth, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  20. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if i have the money, id hire someone. theres a lot of good writers here on dp. before you hire someone, you can always ask for samples and then choose the best one ;)

ichigo, Jun 4, 2007 IP