1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP UPDATE ISSUE - Need Expert Help?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by MDanish, Jul 12, 2014.

I am tring to update my WP but below error appear and it wont update, now what i suppose to do

ERROR
    Warning: copy(/homepages/17/d333482360/htdocs/wp-expeditechicagolimo/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /homepages/17/d333482360/htdocs/wp-expeditechicagolimo/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 217
    The update cannot be installed because we will be unable to copy some files. This is usually due to inconsistent file permissions.: wp-admin/includes/update-core.php

MDanish, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  2. yanpub

yanpub Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you host your website?

wp-admin/includes/update-core.php permissions? Must be 0644 from what i see on my files

yanpub, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  3. MDanish

MDanish Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1and1

MDanish, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  4. yanpub

yanpub Member

Best Answers:
    All the files in my wp-admin have the 0644 permissions. Folders 0755. Please see if yours are the same and give it another try

yanpub, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  5. MDanish

MDanish Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Check its 0644

// If we're using the direct method, we can predict write failures that are due to permissions.
    if ( $check_is_writable && 'direct' === $wp_filesystem->method ) {
    $files_writable = array_filter( $check_is_writable, array( $wp_filesystem, 'is_writable' ) );
    if ( $files_writable !== $check_is_writable ) {
    $files_not_writable = array_diff_key( $check_is_writable, $files_writable );
    foreach ( $files_not_writable as $relative_file_not_writable => $file_not_writable ) {
    // If the writable check failed, chmod file to 0644 and try again, same as copy_dir().
    $wp_filesystem->chmod( $file_not_writable, FS_CHMOD_FILE );
    if ( $wp_filesystem->is_writable( $file_not_writable ) )
    unset( $files_not_writable[ $relative_file_not_writable ] );
    }

// Store package-relative paths (the key) of non-writable files in the WP_Error object.
    $error_data = version_compare( $old_wp_version, '3.7-beta2', '>' ) ? array_keys( $files_not_writable ) : '';

MDanish, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  6. carrieathomer

carrieathomer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Change the PHP version to 5.2 or 5.3 or higher versions and re install wordpress, save your theme first. so you can just reupload the themes

carrieathomer, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You are unlikely to be able to update the version of PHP - you are on shared hosting, right?

Go check out those permissions problems and if you are still stuck reupload the wordpress update. A classic mistake people make is to upload the upgrade over the top of the existing files. That method exposed sites to a nasty hole many years ago and I'm sure they watch for it now but it is a clumsy way to upgrade.

Instead upload into a separate folder. Create a subfolder called oldfiles. Move the files in the root, and the entire wp-admin and wp-includes into that folder. Now move the upgrade files and folders to replace them. Your site will down for 15 seconds, max. Just becareful to leave wp-config behind. And go into the plugins folder and move the new version of akismet over. I tend to delete the old since it only takes a second.

then upgrade.

and always backup first.

sarahk, Jul 12, 2014 IP
    TIEro likes this.