1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP Plugin for Users to Post Own Content?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by bagman101, Apr 12, 2006.

Drupal can allow your registered users to post their own content/blog entries.

Is there a wordpress plugin that allows this?

bagman101, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  2. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's already installed. After users register, they are allowed to write articles. However, you need to accept them before they are posted on your blog.

sixty6, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  3. bagman101

bagman101 Peon

Best Answers:
    But do their entries go onto the front page or onto a subdirectory of some type?

bagman101, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  4. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't understand, WordPress assigns values to people. The person who creates the blog is the admin and anyone else who registers is a subscriber or something. They are NOT allowed to post anything on your blog. However, they are allowed to submit articles which will be displayed on your main AFTER you approve it by going to the WRITE section of your WP Control Panel and publishing it.

Try it yourself :D and then tell me..

sixty6, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  5. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Can you please tell me how they do this? I am very interested in knowing about this because I’ve been looking for a way for visitors to post on a blog freely for very long now. Thanks.

Emperor, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  6. Colbyt

Colbyt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I am really new at this but I have managed to figure this one out.

Open your ADMIM section, select options, scroll down to membership, check anyone, select contribute click save and logout.

When you refresh the home page the option to register should now be under the META section.

Here take a look. Register if you like. Just keep it clean and it will be deleted later.

edited: This will not make the poster's article live until you have approved it by clicking on publish. I will play some more later. I'm sure there is a way to make them live now if that is what you want.

Colbyt, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  7. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not what I'm talking about. Anyone can register and they are automatically set for the lowest level. They will be able to login to the WordPress Control Panel. They don't have any control over the site, but they can write an article.

You know when you save an article, it comes on the top part of your WRITE section? Well their submitted article will appear in that spot, which you can look at, choose a category and then publish it.

That's not a good idea because that way people can spam your site. However, if you make someone an author (by using the USERS section and upgrading a user) they can make their articles go live right away. Editors are one step ahead of authors and can edit other posts.

Hope that helps!! :D

sixty6, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  8. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I was looking for something simpler. Basically what I wanted was to (maybe) the commenting system and use that for making small posts. A very simple thing that enabled people to write short comments, but instead of appearing on as a comment it would actually go on the main page like a post. I’ve been looking everywhere for something that enabled me to build a blog like that.

Emperor, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  9. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    That isn't necessarily true. Starting in WP 2.0 you can set what role (user level) new users start at. From Options -> General you can set 'New User Default Role'. So depending what option is specified there, you could grant the ability for people to add themselves as users and automatically make them Administrators, Editors, Authors, etc... Whatever you wanted.

Obviously if your WP installation is visible to the world (not on an Intranet or similar) then you probably don't want to give new users too high of a membership level.

So yes, you can configure WP to allow visitors to subscribe themselves and have them automatically be assigned a role (user level) where they can post and have posts automatically appear live on the site.... if that is what you want.

tflight, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  10. sketch

sketch Active Member

Best Answers:
    That kinda defeats the purpose of the comment system, doesn't it? Plus, if it appears as it's own post, how will people know it's a comment and not a post?

sketch, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  11. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    intentblog.com is a perfect example to show what you really want to know.

SEO Guru, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  12. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Well it does doesn't it? I will take a crack at it after I finish the project I'm working on at the moment.

Emperor, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  13. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Read that tflight...

sixty6, Apr 17, 2006 IP