1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP Meta Tags

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by scar tissue, Sep 7, 2006.

WP template : header.php

<title><?php bloginfo('name'); ?> <?php if ( is_single() ) { ?> <?php } ?> <?php wp_title(); ?></title>

meta tag description
    meta tag keywords

<meta name="generator" content="WordPress <?php bloginfo('version'); ?>" /> <!-- leave this for stats -->

Hi there !

I need your help regarding WP template since I am still new on WordPress :

1. should I put meta tag description and meta tag keywords as above ? Because when I put the codes there, all I got was an ERROR. It's weird since I did follow all the instruction mentioned on http://codex.wordpress.org/Meta_Tags_in_WordPress

2. I did test my WP on http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php but the results was :

- - -

Meta Keywords :
    No meta kewords found :confused:

Meta Description :
    Internet marketing tips, guides and information. From affiliate programs, opt-in list to bla..bla..bla..

- - -

note : I did create this meta description from WP Admin > Options > General > Tagline

3. should I put meta tag description again in header.php if I already created it on WP Admin > Options > General > Tagline ?

4. besides header.php should I put these two codes again on index.php (meta tag keywords and meta tag description) ?

I need any of your input, advice or help regarding the above matter or if you knew there's a thread already that discussed about this - wouldn't you be kind to let me know soonest since I did search before but I couldn't find it then I'd be more than happy to know more ...

Lots of thanks ! :D

scar tissue, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  2. scar tissue

scar tissue Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't anybody want to reply for this matter now ? Or you guys just simply don't care about it ? :eek:

scar tissue, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  3. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    meta tags stink. i don't even use them anymore.

tonyrocks, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Scar, I got bored of your post because it was so long.

I'm assuming you want to improve your meta title tag is this correct? If it is read this post, and then discuss here, or on my blog.

DarrenC, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :confused:

Maybe you didn't get a lot of replies because it's difficult to figure out what you're asking.

If this is literally what you inserted, then of course it won't work. You need to use this format:

<meta name="description" content="insert brief description here">
    <meta NAME="keywords" CONTENT="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3">
    Code (markup):
    Be aware that neither is used for search engine ranking. The description tag may be used for the SE snippet, depending on the SE and on the search terms. The keywords tag is ignored by pretty much everyone these days.

minstrel, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  6. scar tissue

scar tissue Peon

Best Answers:
    To tonyrocks, DarrenC and minstrel

Thanks for your reply and help - I really do appreciate your comments and tips :)

scar tissue, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  7. csb

csb Peon

Best Answers:
    csb, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  8. jacksmith

jacksmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you to use plugins since you are new to WP and don't know coding. Also try using widgets .

jacksmith, Sep 12, 2006 IP