1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP host

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by vrachel, Sep 23, 2015.

Hi there,

I am on WP platform. Name.wordpress.com

Now I want to get WP domain but want to check if I get domain for free with the account?

Also, would would have happened with old links. Would they still be visible or when someone link would be rederected. Thanx!

vrachel, Sep 23, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I would never buy a domain through my hosting company. If you decide to change hosting you can have a real tussle with the host to regain control of your domain.

sarahk, Sep 23, 2015 IP
    billzo and Arick unirow like this.
  3. [ET]Alexander

[ET]Alexander Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How so? You are legally entitled to a domain if it has been provided to you, and as such, if you were to cancel your hosting package rather than getting the domain for free at renewal time you would instead be responsible for the then current domain renewal cost. This is of corse unless you are committing a crime or in violation of the host's TOS, then that may cause issues.. However, any law abiding citizen utilizing a service would still have full control over their name.

As for OP; Probably the worst thing you can do is build your business upon the hosted wordpress solution, without having a domain name. Unfortunately when you make the transition you will lose any kind of search rankings. I may be able to help you out, cost wise, to save you a couple of dollars to lighten your load. Interested?

[ET]Alexander, Sep 23, 2015 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There have been plenty of instances where people have wanted to change their hosting and the old host (usually a cowboy) has refused to change the dns settings or allow the domain to be transferred. They've often taken down the site at the same time so the departing client is left with no web presence and a legal wrangle.

sarahk, Sep 23, 2015 IP
  5. [ET]Alexander

[ET]Alexander Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    See, that's why you check what capabilities you are offered with each domain name. For example, we give customers full access to their domain for DNS control and generation of EPP codes, they can trasnfer them out whenever they so choose to. The reality is the customer has paid for the domain by fulfilling their responsibility as a customer. If a host were not to provide access to said domains, a simple case filed with their sponsoring registrar (typically Enom) would result in you getting control of the name. Part of the reseller's responsibility is to give their customers full control over the services they are provided with.

[ET]Alexander, Sep 23, 2015 IP
  6. vrachel

vrachel Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am very happy yuu guys have so nice converstaion here with explaining everything. My blog is simle and ppl like it. So I do not need domainand hosting to change a lot. Even so I still have no perfect knoweledge what I can do with my own web. If I use host and domain from other provider I am scared that I'll get stuck with exporting, managing etc. That's the reason I want to stay with WP. Once I have quite better knoweledge I can change all of if it.

vrachel, Sep 23, 2015 IP
  7. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can not point your own domain, if you have one, to Wordpress.com and make it work unless you're premium.

The last time I checked, a couple of months ago, if you're on WP.com, you can use your own domain (or they will provide one for you) only if you upgrade your plan to premium. Check https://store.wordpress.com/plans/premium/.

Re: old links, I think WP.com will handle that, redirect old links to new links (like you do on blogger platform).

th.sigit, Sep 24, 2015 IP
  8. vrachel

vrachel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! That's what i asked. I want to pay for premium and that way get their domain so it would look like this: name.com. Now it looks like: name.wordpress.com. Ad I suppose If i upgrade account they would provide frre gosting, aren't they?

vrachel, Sep 24, 2015 IP
  9. th.sigit

Best Answers:
    Yes, details are here: https://store.wordpress.com/plans/ Do you plan to run an ecommerce store? Seems you can't create an ecommerce store using the Premium option, must go with Business.

10. vrachel

vrachel Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not interested in e-store but thank ou . i am just interested in geting domain so I can do seo optimization and use plug-ins (which is not possible if you do not upgrade).

vrachel, Sep 24, 2015 IP
  11. th.sigit

Best Answers:
  12. vrachel

vrachel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanx a mill. You are very kind and helpful.

vrachel, Sep 24, 2015 IP
  13. th.sigit

Best Answers:
    No problem. You're welcome :)

14. vrachel

vrachel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not to have web hosting and domain name registration from the same provider???

vrachel, Sep 25, 2015 IP
  15. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Damn. What kind of hosting providers have you been using?

Abelo, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've seen this happen with local and American hosts.

sarahk, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  17. tillhunter

tillhunter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi vrachel
    In this page you can check top 10 cheap wordpress hosting
    https://hithoster.com/top-10-cheap-wordpress-hosting
    Also in main page you can search hosting companies who offers free domain with hosting plans

tillhunter, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  18. doublespaces

doublespaces Member

Best Answers:
    I mean, what he's suggesting is still solid advice. If you register your domain somewhere else, Namecheap/eNom, etc, then you don't have to worry about that at all. What is being saved, 5-10 bucks for a piece of mind, its more of an organizational decision than anything.

Regardless, OP, get your own real domain ASAP. If you can afford it, just go to a regular registrar and purchase your domain. This way, if you ever move web hosts, you've got full control of your domain. You can certainly get a 'free' domain from your new web host, but when you change web hosts, over time, you may find yourself with domain scattered across several web hosts instead of being administered in one central registrar. If you obtain multiple domains in the future, you'll come to understand why that can be a frustrating process trying to remember where each domain was registered.

Also, regarding going with Wordpres.com premium, $100/year is more than you likely should or need to pay for what you're website entails. There are many folks out there which can put up a very capable and inexpensive shared hosting plan with full plugin support and help you manage the various aspects of making that transition simple for you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    doublespaces, Mar 28, 2016 IP