1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wow, your css works on Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE7 but not in IE6

Discussion in 'CSS' started by donross, Jan 14, 2008.

Im starting this thread coz a lot of css coder here and i've seen they're nice portfolio works in every browser but not in IE6. im just wondrin' if they are ignoring IE6 coz there's still numerous viewers using IE6 till now and those are XP users. so everyone who is hiring a css coder here.. be aware that your css made site is working on IE6. and for the css coder pls check your portfolio if its working nice on IE6 and IE7 too.

Hope this doesnt offend anyone here. im just telling the truth and hope it'll helps.

donross, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Given that IE6 is still >40% of the browsing public on many sites, not supporting it is definately retarded - that simple. It is NOT the giant pain in the ass to support many people make it out to be as some simple fixes and planning can bring even IE 5.2/5.5 inline for all but the most complex of layouts.

Failing to do so is just lazy, ignorant, and ... well, bloody typical too. Remember, there are nimrods out there who think there's nothing wrong with Dreamweaver, DESIGN pages in a paint program, and in general are too lazy to write VALID markup, minimalist Markup, separate presentation from content, and in general STOP writing crap bloated unneccessary code like it's still 1997.

... and honestly I HOPE this offends a few people. It's called a wake up call, smell the freaking coffee. Anyone who DOES get offended by this probably NEEDS to get offended, and learn to do things PROPERLY.

Silly question, how does the offending people's code you are referring to hold up against the validator? Validation can still pass crap code, but I'm amazed how many people cannot be bothered to even TRY to write valid markup.

Which I still say if you cannot be bothered to write VALID HTML/XHTML, back away from the keyboard now and go take up macrome weaving.

deathshadow, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  3. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good point! The problem is if you have IE7 installed how do you check in IE6?

You can use MS Virtual PC and install an old copy of XP with IE6, that's what I do.

People think, bugger it, it's IE6, but sadly a lot of people use it, they shouldn't but they do. This morning for example i'm having to correct some IE6 bugs as the company use IE6 in their offices so I can hardly not fix the bugs.

Valve-Hosting, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Or use one of the standalones - some things like 'filters' for opacity or .png transparancy won't function, but it's a lot quicker.

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

Of course, they don't work in Vista - yet another strike against Vista as a development OS (especially since VMWare, Parallels AND M$ VPC are all too flaky to run more than five seconds at a time in Vista)

ALL of the browsers are freely available, not THAT hard to set up, and if you are a web professional you should have the $$$ to invest in something cheap like VMWare workstation or Parallels - and M$ VPC is free. There is NO excuse for anyone with a x86 based PC to not test the different browsers.

Hell, I use the drag and drop opera buttons to launch the current page in ____ browser.

5. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Vista x64 (I do have SP1 though) and VMWare works fine, I even have Vanderpool Tech with my CPU as it's a Q6600.

Cheers for those links though, I do have 4GB of ram but I need to use 512mb just to check in IE6, because of VMware. MS VPC is pretty poor I have to say, but it's free.

I even have Apache, PHP, mySQL running on Vista x64. I think Vista's a better choice, IF and only IF, you have a Q Core and at least 3gb of ram, otherwise, it's a bit slow. If I was still using my Dual Core as my main PC there's no way i'd use Vista.

6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I'm on a Q6600 myself with 4 gigs, and Vista is a stone cold flaky pig I cannot use for more than an hour without the entire system destabalizing... trying to run VMWare, M$VPC or Parallels will completely lock up the system inside five minutes EVERY time.

Though I'm aware MOST of the problem is the craps shoot that drivers still are for it - and that some of what I've come to treat as basic functionality (like multiple displays) is still in the dark ages on Vista.

That and it's consistantly 15-20% slower for what I do on the same hardware with XP x64... AND I can run the other browsers as the standalones without hogging memory with a VM.

7. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear about that :(

8. donross

donross Active Member

Best Answers:
    good thing i don't use vista yet for now, even if a have dual core machine with 4GB ram im still an XP user since i still use softwares that is not Vista ready...

and to the css coder that says they dont have IE6 installed because they're currently using IE7, i think its not an excuse... if you are css coder then you're code must run smoothly on every available browser... if you can do that, then thats the time you can call yourself a true "professional css coder"

donross, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  9. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, it's not that hard. It took me all of 10mins to fix the IE6 bugs this morning.

10. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I came across this last week. Spending about 4 hours making a site look great in Firefox, Opera and even IE7 with valid code.

I decided to see how it would look on other browsers using http://browsershots.org/ (excellent tool for those of you who have not used it yet). It came up reasonable well on all browsers and then IE6's screenshot came. Wow, don't think much worked there at all. Will be spending some time to get it IE 6 compliant in 2 weeks time while I get rid of some studies/exams now.

Odd thing is, with the messed up IE6 view, my earnings and sales have gone up on that page. Not sure if that is a coincidence though.

Claudek, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  11. donross

donross Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the link... this is cool.. i test the page im doing right now.. look perfect so far..

donross, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  12. ChaosFoo

ChaosFoo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree! More than half of the people that visit my sites are still using IE 6. It actually drives me nuts. Most of the problems that I have are probably not hard to fix, but I'm still learning, so sometimes it can take a while to properly determine what the source of the problem is in IE 6.

I have just a couple of comments:

- I use this to have both IE 6 and 7 installed on my computer. http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
    It may be a pain to get it to work on Vista. I personally will probably not switch to vista for a LONG time. It's too buggy for me.

-Browsershots.org drives me nuts. I hate having to wait 30 minutes to see my screen shots, and if I forget to check my session expires! Most of the time my session expires before my screen shots come in! It is a cool idea, but they have some fatal flaws that need to be resolved.

ChaosFoo, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Browsershots is a cute toy - but COMPLETELY impractical for the web design process as by the time you wait around for all the different results to come in, you could have DOWNLOADED all the browsers in question and run them in the first damned place LOCAL.

The middle of my design process is style a section, test in five browsers, fix any issues, lather rinse, repeat for each section. Sitting around with my thumb up my ass waiting on browsershots for every code change isn't exactly practical.... especially given that my testing process usually involves about one alt-tab, F5, alt-tab, F5, etc, etc every MINUTE.

14. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    What causes me most grief with IE6 is that it can't do transparent PNGS properly :/ I use them quite a lot as they give me a lot of freedom and can be very flexible. There's a hack to fix it but i'd rather not have to bother. It's part of our job though so we musn't grumble too much.

15. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Problem is overusing them and their completely ridiculous filesizes. VERY rarely have I seen layouts that couldn't have been done by pre-compositing the images with a little care without the alpha .pngs (let's be clear, palette transparancy works JUST FINE) and a little knowledge/effort.

But then with people these days considering 512meg websites 'lightweight'...

16. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. You call out all the shitty css coders, but I'm calling out everyone who can't fucking read properly (99% of Digitalpoint). Go back to andrew01's thread, and go read his original post. If you read that, you'd have known that his web site was coded with tables for layout, and if you had read that, you wouldn't have had to comment on my coding skills. And, my recoding didn't even use one division element, not sure why you're so stuck on divs and spans.

I swear this happens in every thread (no one BOTHERS to read previous posts). Some guy makes a thread asking something, gets the answer in the 2nd or 3rd reply and then people keep replying with the same redundant answer without reading anything at all in order to increase their postcount.

soulscratch, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  17. donross

donross Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey bro i didnt mean to offend you or your coding skills.. i was just suggesting and skipped to read some posts.. i know you're way better than me.. im just a newbie here so i know where i stand out.. lets stick on the topic and peace out bro.. :cool:

donross, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  18. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No hard feelings (yeah i get a little hot headed), but please do try reading every other post before replying.

soulscratch, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  19. ChaosFoo

ChaosFoo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to do transparency with IE6 you can save your images with transparency in a PNG-8 or a GIF. IE6 will do transparency with these file types.

ChaosFoo, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  20. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually the problems I run into with IE6 make me write stuff better, because I have to be more careful. However right now I'm in the middle of IE6 adding spacing somewhere (and I can't tell what it is, padding? margin? something overflowing somewhere???) and I'm going to have a bald spot eventually, and it'll look really weird cause I'm a girl and it'll be on the side of my head.

Fucking IE6. Screw 7 too, even with the fixes it has. I won't abandon 6, cause I can't, but damn when I write a page I am always trying to think ahead and that means knowing what the browsers will do but with 6 I swear I get a box of chocolates with that one. When the page renders right the first time, I don't even trust it anymore. I figure there's a bug waiting for me to trip it anyway.

Stomme poes, Jan 15, 2008 IP