1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wow, I am impressed and stoked.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mdvaldosta, Nov 16, 2005.

My pride and joy website finally made it into the DMOZ. Out of frustration, I asked an editor (a big one) to review my site. I expected no response, and instead in just a couple hours I recieved this email:

There are good editors in the DMOZ, their just swamped. My site's category had no editor, nor did the section above it, and above that one, and that one too. I had to go up 4 categories to find an editor. Many many thanks to the editor.

mdvaldosta, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  2. kniveswood

kniveswood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats...and was your email a frustrated one or a polite one? :)

kniveswood, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  3. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, how's about that. congratulations. Fancy editing that category? You've experienced first-hand the need for more comrades :p

bradley, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    It was a polite email. On that note, the listing hasn't shown up yet on the DMOZ. I guess maybe the DMOZ doesn't update but every so often... I hope :/

mdvaldosta, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Polite is always better than impolite when dealing with ODP editors or anyone else. ;)

The editors have a separate server so it will take a day or two for any listing to show up. And yes, we are always happy to have more volunteers so if you're interested please consider applying. Obviously whoever reviewed your site was impressed with you.

compostannie, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  6. Bidera

Bidera Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations! It truly feels great when your site is approved. That means someone actually did review it and found it useful.

And yes politeness counts (even in small amounts)..

Bidera, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  7. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Post the email you sent so users here may learn the proper approach when emailing an editor.

- George

GeorgeB., Nov 17, 2005 IP
  8. kniveswood

Best Answers:
    Yes that would be great. :D

kniveswood, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  9. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a caveat, here - hate to spoilt the general mood of euphoria....

There is no true way to expedite your review in the ODP. Some editors may react favourably to a polite email, others will ignore it. Emails that are less than polite will often elicit a negative effect. Emails that are polite but pushy may well cause the editor to ignore a review, too.

In general, due to some horrible things that have happened in the past (including threats of legal action, stalking and violence), editors are advised not to enter into communication with submitters. It's not that uncommon - the legal action threat has been used with me on two occasions.

So while I am not saying don't do it, I'm not saying that it will garantee you any real help.

Alucard, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  10. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    Like Alucard, I don't mean to piss on the parade, but he's right - I personally would probably frown on receiving an email like that - there are loads of sites there waiting to be dealt with, why should sending an email prioritise your site over others? If it was to prioritise a site, all that would happen is that it would become commonplace to email the editor when making a submission... and that achieves little over the current system where there's no need for a cover letter!

bradley, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  11. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    It is important to keep in mind that most editors will not respond to any correspondence related to a site review. In some cases such communication may even be counter productive. Since all editors are volunteers, following certain guidelines, the interpretation of such communiqué can result in a drastically different result than what was expected.

riz, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  12. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I won't post the actual email I sent, but basically it said that I was sorry to bother the editor, but my website's category does not have an editor, nor do the 3 categories above it. And, if they had time, to take a look at it for me.

I did not expect a response, and am very grateful to that editor for taking the time to look. I think if your category has an editor emailing wouldn't help, but I believe I had a genuine case of being in a category that wouldn't get looked at for a very long time.

I didn't write this to encourage people to mass mail editors, only to say that not only are their good editors, those editors actually care about their categories. Not only did the editor visit my site, but actually read through it and suggested improvements. That has changed my outlook towards all DMOZ editors. This person actually cared.

mdvaldosta, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  13. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose it's not all bad if the editor took the time to process all the other sites pending review at the same time

bradley, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  14. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of them are, you got lucky :)

Test-ok, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    With the obvious exception of the Resource Zone. Being polite there just invites more abuse - it's interpreted as weakness :D

minstrel, Nov 17, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess what? My site showed up in the DMOZ today! woot!

mdvaldosta, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  17. kniveswood

Best Answers:
    *pops the champagne* :D

kniveswood, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  18. PBFerrigan

PBFerrigan Guest

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on the listing. How long did it take?

-Peter

PBFerrigan, Nov 22, 2005 IP