1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you write these samples? Possible scam?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by shkad14, Jul 21, 2008.

I have been applying to freelance job postings left and right over the past few days. One company in particular responded in the email below:

I took the company name out. They want me to write three sample pages. I did research and found a lot of people unhappy with their hosting services, but I couldnt find any complaints from people who did freelance work for them.

I have only ever written one sample. It is currently on ezinarticles. The problem is; I cant get in contact with the client, I didnt get paid, I havent been offered any other assignments, but he is using my article.

This company seems legit, although I do not have VOIP like it requires.

What are your thoughts?

shkad14, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    latoya likes this.
  2. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    1200 free words?!! Heck no I wouldn't write that.

If they've already reviewed your resume and think your skills are good for the job, then they shouldn't need any samples. Let's say they need a sample to compare you to another candidate, samples you've already written should suffice.

latoya, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  3. wdillsmith

wdillsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    If I was hiring a freelance writer, I would want writing samples (in fact, I hired one last week, and they had samples posted on their website that I looked at first). However, you should not have to write one specifically for them. That being said, if you are looking for freelance jobs you probably should already have a portfolio of writing samples ready to show or posted on your website/blog that you can refer to.

wdillsmith, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  4. shkad14

shkad14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did submit a portfolio along with my resume.

shkad14, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would I do it? No. I've got enough experience and content to show.

Anyone who wants "custom samples" can look elsewhere.

Even if you don't give the company the right to use the work, you're still potentially wasting your time.

Of course, in the end it depends on you and how bad you want it.

For 5 cents per word, I'd write my name for them. ;)

The only time I'd give advice toward doing a custom sample is when there's a byline involved and the work could lead to bigger things. But that isn't the case here.

marketjunction, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  6. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    1,200 words is a heck of a sample! Especially when the employer already thinks your skills are a match. Even though you haven't found complaints from freelancers, I'd be skeptical of sending such a long sample to a company that gets a lot of customer complaints. On occasion, I will create samples for reputable employers, but only short pieces (300 words max) that I can sell elsewhere, if need be.

wordscientist, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    latoya likes this.
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'll echo what others have said here. There's no way I'd do a custom sample for the vast majority of clients, and if I did they'd have to be a very well known and respected company, it would have to be for a rather lucrative deal, and I'd have to have personal referrals from other freelancers I trust telling me they're worth it. Other than that, time isn't free. Your portfolio should be more than adequate for any serious buyer. It looks like they're either trying to get free copy out of you (and how many others?) or that they simply don't know how to hire a freelancer (and knowing what they're doing on that front is their responsibility - not on you to beg for the job with free work).

jhmattern, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  8. tsrumler

tsrumler Peon

Best Answers:
    I know the company you are talking about it, and if you do a search you will find a TON of negative reviews on them. A lot of people aren't happy, although it doesn't show the people who are.

I do know someone who did apply and didn't write a 1200 word sample, because it said "up to". She only did an 800 word. She said she will update what she finds out, but I'm not sure when that will be.

I would avoid this until you find out more about them from people who actually work for them.

tsrumler, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  9. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Before I got to tsrumler's post I had come to the conclusion that this wasn't a job you wanted. You'll find that even when it's not a lame economy, there are people who play to the fact that you "want" to believe them. Pass on it. Just a gut feel although tsrumler has actual proof that would suggest as much.

And heads up you guys. July is always a slow month although last year this time I was swamped. August is sometimes better, September is kick butt. So do some marketing and lay the groundwork for future work while you make your posts on the boards from which you get work. Try your local community, too. Many of those people need things written as well.

webgal, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  10. puremonopoly

puremonopoly Active Member

Best Answers:
    SCAm|\/|4g3!! :D.. ^_^ I wouldn't trust them at all... find someone that you can trust and go with that!

puremonopoly, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  11. shkad14

Best Answers:
    I had nothing to do last night, so I decided to test them out. I do freelance private investigation on the side. If it is a scam, I do not mind taking the hit. At least then, I will be able to name the company and maybe help other freelancers who might search for information on them in the future.

I only wrote 700 words. Anyway, I will keep you posted on whether or not it is a scam. If it is, I will rip this company! Last week I recovered $500 from a crooked seller on Ebay for a woman who read and responded to an article I wrote on the subject of eBay scams. So, I know how to get information and I know how to get information out.

Who knows...It might actually be legit ;)

shkad14, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  12. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    Risk can lead to reward, and I hope it works out for you.

wordscientist, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  13. spacepide11

spacepide11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like the phrasing: "Inc. 500 company," "we found your skills to be in accordance with what we are looking for," and "to determine the information that the customer wants." Not to mention, "please" is used three times in the last paragraph.

When I happen upon a hastily written notice, I run.

spacepide11, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  14. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. Or it could be more proof that the company needs a writer. :p

latoya, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  15. ItalianBred

ItalianBred Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems like they are trying to get free work outta you. I would say away esp. of they have bad reviews, regardless of the playing field.

ItalianBred, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  16. @phang

@phang Active Member

Best Answers:
    I refuse to write custom samples in the majority of situations simply because my time can be spent earning money in the time I write those samples - I have enough samples I can supply and my workload is high, meaning it's just not efficient for me. I echo the comments of Jenn where she says she would only write custom samples for an established company with good references, otherwise I'd say they can find someone else, I'll find other work faster than they will a good writer.

@phang, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  17. RandomWoman

RandomWoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also heard some negative feedback about them.

While I'm sure there are happy people writing for them that is a HUGE writing sample to do free of charge. Most places that I have written for which require samples specify that these will be "paid samples".

I know we all have to do what we have to do to get ahead but that is a lot of work to do in hopes of getting a job.

RandomWoman, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  18. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    Always be on the lookout on whether or not they used your samples and posted them somewhere. A lot of people who ask for "samples" do that. They gather customized samples and never pay for them nor do they eventually hire the people who wrote them.

what, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  19. article marketer

article marketer Peon

Best Answers:
    I also saw that ad and was not comfortable with it.

Personally, I would not write a sample that long, either, and advise you not to waste your time. I generally do not write samples for potential clients - unless I know that they will be paying for them.

I do encourage you, however, to get more samples prepared. Clients will often want to see 2 or 3. Write some that are keyword based of different lengths and on different topics. Preparation will help you go a lot further - and faster.

Hope this helps.

article marketer, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  20. shkad14

Best Answers:
    I did write the sample. Now, I am waiting to see what happens. So far, I havent heard anything from them.

shkad14, Jul 26, 2008 IP