1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you write for a site you found morally disgusting?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by maddie73, Jan 13, 2009.

1. malikwiki

malikwiki Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will never do this kind of job because money is not that important for me

malikwiki, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  2. christopherw

christopherw Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think I'd ever write for something which morally disgusted me. I certainly wouldn't want to play a part in spreading information on a topic which I felt was detrimental to society. However, if I had no money and was in dire need of it, I wonder if my attitude would change?

christopherw, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  3. incentivesearch

incentivesearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... it depends.

Generally I would say no, but if I was offered enough money and I found the topic to be distasteful rather than reprehensible, maybe.

For instance if I was asked to writing a sparkling review of a vacation destination I didn't like I would probably say yes.

If I was asked to write a sparkling review of the KKK I would say no.

So it really depends. Or as Y. L Prinzel said above, everything is on a sliding scale of acceptability.

incentivesearch, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  4. Crazy J

Crazy J Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point incentivesearch,

although not liking a place isn't neccessarily equal to finding a business or something immoral or reprehensible.

I had to do graphic layouts for stores that I didn't like back in my yellowpage ad-rep job days, but I did it because it was just my personal oppinion about the given store (mostly due to experiences with bad service) but it was my job to do the best job for them (to give them good service) but I refused doing ad-copy for companies or businesses that I would morally object to.

I really enjoy all the great feedback is giving here.

Cheers, Smiles and Success,
    Crazy J
    a.k.a. Johnny Hollywood
    Comedian turned Internet Marketer

Crazy J, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  5. theWebGuru

theWebGuru Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    that's a rubbish.

theWebGuru, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  6. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I have written for things I don't agree with, but I gave them up quickly. However, I had not realized how morally reprehensible I would find them when I took the project.

For instance, in the beginning of my writing career, I was paid a fair amount to do a series of articles on penis enhancement products. Now, I know these don't work, there is no medical evidence to prove they work, and that isn't what bothered me. What did bother me were some of the claims made on the website (i.e. the normal penis size is 8.5 - 9 inches; 90% of women fake orgasms, and begin affairs with men of larger sizes, ect).

The level of manipulation against men who obviously have serious problems with self image, and the irresponsibility of such ridiculous claims, which are easily disproved, made me ill. I have been careful when taking projects ever since, making sure I know what I will be required to say.

oo87, Feb 10, 2009 IP
  7. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I've written lots of content for adult and erotic content, however, those are not topics I find appealing in my own family way of life - nor are they topics that I avidly promote. Yes, it was for money.

Of course there are circumstances where I would draw a line...

I don't mind saying how great I think Maybelline is.. however, I wouldn't write fake shit about a sick man needing money for surgery... ;)

Karen May Jones, Feb 10, 2009 IP
  8. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With the risk of sounding morally bankrupt, there are very few projects I turn down if the pay is good. I do however tend to work in a different fashion than usual.

Let me detail: I am am avid smoker, so when I received the job of writing the sales letter for a generic stop smoking e-book, I was faced with a dilemma. What did I do? I used my contempt for such e-books to write possibly the best sales letter of my career up to this point. The trick is to use this disgust, in this case to picture the competition in a not very favorable light. I knew where the potential readership's position stood and I took advantage of that. To this date, that sales letter still brings about 3000 dollars in monthly income.

So my basic point is that if you can't write sales copy for a product you don't like without lowering your standards, you probably lack imagination. Your heart is already in it, although in a negative way. What you must do is be honest with yourself and use that passion. This is why I actually love writing sales letters for controversial products. The challenge and the results you can get are much higher than with ordinary ones. Deals like these are to me opportunities in disguise.

Regards, George

geegel, Feb 11, 2009 IP
    mspennylane likes this.
  9. ankit_frenz

ankit_frenz Active Member

Best Answers:
    simple n short

no!!

ankit_frenz, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  10. TiffB

TiffB Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just given a job to write articles for a website that has half naked woman on it and I turned it down even though I would have made an easy $20 for 400 words. (This rate is one of the higher ones I have been offered) I just did not want my name linked to that kind of website.

TiffB, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  11. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    geegel - I really like the way you turned this thread idea on its head, food for thought even though I don't agree 100%. I am guessing you don't find the idea of stopping smoking morally disgusting? If so, maybe you could use it to your advantage in the sales pitch, but would it be right to do so? :)

mspennylane, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  12. Xerge

Xerge Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that protecting your integrity plays a big part in it, but that's a personal matter and everyone would have to decide for themselves if it's a good decision or not, based on how they'd feel or have felt in the past.

Xerge, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  13. morwanneg

morwanneg Peon

Best Answers:
    I won't. There are people though who do not care about their moral principles when big money is right in front of them.

morwanneg, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  14. Kirsty H

Kirsty H Banned

Best Answers:
    I must live with my head in the clouds because I had never hear of NAMBLA. I just did some quick Google research on it? WTF? Can't believe how anyone can agree with their ideas.

As to writing on something I found morally disturbing, it would depend on what it was, I would never write for anything that involved hurt/abuse to anyone, especially minors, and I certainly would not write anything to do with hate or hate crimes. But as to people's life style choices i.e. gay/lesbian/bi/transexual etc I would not worry about writing anything like that as people have a choice in life, providing it's legal I don't have any qualms with it.

Kirsty H, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually refused a $1500 job as it was for a hunting site which I find disgusting.

JohnT

Wordsmith, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  16. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to view things in a broader context and the fact is that there is a crusade going against smokers at the moment. Governments everywhere have decided in their benevolent, almighty power that people should no longer make decisions for themselves, but rather listen to the Politburo like to the words of the Holy Bible. So yes, writing something that works to enforce this movement is morally disgusting to me.

I have written sales copy for Salvia Divinorum, adult dating sites and gambling sites without even a twitch of my moral muscle. I see nothing inherently wrong or immoral with them, Just to give you an idea of where my moral compass stands.

As for the NAMBLA thing, well... personally I think that the 2 greatest inventions of the 20th century are hygiene and pedophilia. The first because it is the main engine of driving up life expectancy and the second because that simple word managed to give evil a name. There are some parts of the world where pedophilia is still tolerated (as is slavery and lack pf personal hygiene), which shows that moral compasses still hold a variety of shapes and forms, much larger than what people normally believe.

I know who and what I am and I assume the values of my civilization to the extent to which they don't hinder individual liberties. I make deals with the devil, I don't sell my soul to him.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Regards, George

geegel, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  17. MarketLeverage

MarketLeverage Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's a hard one. If I was completely, 100% opposed to the topic or company, I wouldn't be able to do it. Money is important, but so are your values. I would understand if it had to be done to pay the bills, but I personally wouldn't be able to do it.

MarketLeverage, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  18. blazinrachel

blazinrachel Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can be able to start working for such site but time will come that you will come to your senses. If it works just because you need money by writing then fine. But if you are morally disgusted with it, how can you be able to write for them anyway?

blazinrachel, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  19. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. Philosophy in the copywriting forum. And I thought I've seen it all...

geegel, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  20. aeolson

aeolson Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never personally turned any topic down. There are some topics I won't write about, however, such as dangerous diets/articles that promote eating disorders. I have written articles about diet supplements, however.

aeolson, Feb 18, 2009 IP