1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you vote for an Atheist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Would you vote for an Atheist?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    So you think Lenin and Mao were justified in the slaughter of millions of civilians?

So you're trying to convince us all that Hitler would have been a good guy if not for religion?

I can really see how a book that teaches you to love your neighbors and enemies can turn you into a psycho killer.

12 million+ dead (counting Hitler) in the name of an "imaginary friend" over the course of hundreds of years
    100 million+ dead in the pursuit of the eradication of religion by atheists in a few decades.

At least if an atheist was in charge, even if they went nuts, at least you wouldn't be at risk. And really, isn't that all that matters? Sure, he'll kill 10 times as many people in a fraction of the time but at least you won't be one of them.

This argument all boils down to the fact that atheists refuse to accept that they have been the most efficient killers the world has ever seen. How do you murder 100 million in a few decades?

KalvinB, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think the crusades were justifed? We can bounce these questions back all day. You compare dictators who acted on their own beliefs, regardless if they were religious beliefs or not. That in aspect as NOTHING to do with the fact of my question, are you avoiding it?

How can you, as a man of "god" accept the actions of your past brothern? The crusades caused the siege of Jersualam, which met the slaughter of every single man, woman and child in the name of god, for a so called "just" holy war, and thats one of hundereds of incidents related to just the crusades. The list goes on and on.

astup1didiot, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hitler was an evil person doing evil things. But he certainly justified his evil by referencing the christian bible.

The point is, Like i explained in the last post, Which you conveniently ignored to justify making the same fatuous point again, That if you want only religious leaders you open yourself up to the possibility that you will get a good man capable of doing evil due to his religion. Nothing is inhumane to someone who believes god is on their side and that god is condoning, Perhaps even ordaining brutal behaviour.

stOx, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  4. omgitsfletch

omgitsfletch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't comparing the deaths at the hands of Stalin, Mao, and other dictators to genocides of centuries past like comparing apples and oranges? I can think of modern technology and population density as two main factors that would lead to increased genocide, and that's just off the top of my head. There have got to be many other factors. The comparison between the two is incompatible.

Also remember that we are talking about religion/atheism being the CAUSE for the killing. If someone is highly Christian but they are killing people for a non-religion based reason, then I do not count that murder as a religious based murder. By that same point, I don't consider a non-believer or atheist to be making a religious based murder unless religion was the basis for the murder.

omgitsfletch, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  5. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
  6. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a christian, i dont believe that i will only see christians in heaven. I remember having this conversation witha friend that is now on his way to becoming a Priest. I remember him saying that there was a passage in the bible talking about god being in everyones heart through a thing called the natural law within us(our conscience), and that if they werent taught about jesus they would be judged on whether they listened to their conscience or not. I would go back to talk to him again but hes really on the extreme side(and this is coming from me lol). His eyeballs seem to be popping out everytime i talk to him.

When i hear someone say that rock was instrumental for the return of satan, i sort of back away at that point lol hehehe. The point im making is that we are all on this earth together, and we should always have mercy, compassion and empathy for our fellow human being no matter what their beliefs are.

I have seen killings being done in the name of god, in the name of man and in the name of atheism, its all about whether we decide to shut off our hearts that makes us capable of doing it or not. I just happen to believe the human heart is a gift from god

pingpong123, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  7. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Didnt Our great leader president bush say he was being called by god lol

pingpong123, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  8. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    That is a great point, many people look past the technological advances and population explosion.

9. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Yes, I remember his interview about the night before his authorized the Iraq war, he said he "prayed" all night. :rolleyes:

As we can see, religion makes the best choices when it comes to war... not.

10. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    Well said! I judge a man on his character, which I consider to be separate from his religion. It's foolish and narcissistic to pretend you automatically have more character than another based solely on your choice of religion. There have been foolish Christians and wonderful atheists and foolish atheists and wonderful Christians, it's all about the individual. I don't buy into collectivist bullshit.

11. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Don't you feel that religion is a way to control people?

12. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    Cram a lot more people into the same amount of space and give the bad guys much bigger weapons (bombs, machine guns, mines, etc) as opposed to swords and arrows and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, it's a lot easier to kill more of them.

13. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Yes, its amazing. But in most eyes we are jump ramping up the religious holocaust :rolleyes:

14. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    I do, to a certain extent. By that same token, I believe it controls some people more than others. Don't get me wrong, there are some Christians I would absolutely never vote for because their religion has made them delusional in my opinion to making unbiased decisions as President, that will affect every American, Christian or not. But there are also atheists who are completely insane and I wouldn't want them in charge of cutting my lawn, let alone in charge of 300 million people. I'm not foolish enough to try and play "our side is slightly more sane than yours!". I truly believe you just need to look at the individual.

15. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I believe in seperation of chrush and state, period. You should not be allowed to display your religious views or opinions when running for any general office.

16. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I think a lot of people on both sides would be amazed at which candidates they support, when they are not privy to that candidate's religion.

17. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    So so true.

18. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Lenin and Mao were acting at about the same time as Hitler. And they, the definite atheists, killed 10 times as many people as Hitler (who could be construed as religious for at least some period of time). Keep patting yourselves on the back though.

In fact it was Stalin, a religious person, who prevented Lenin from murdering all religious people. Lenin reluctantly agreed to let one church body live but it was still heavily persecuted.

Suppression of religion. The first amendment guarentees your right to religious expression.

Like I said, I'll vote for an atheist as soon as they soundly support the First Amendment. I would never vote for someone who is embarassed by what they believe or someone who advocates oppression of religion.

Let me guess, Ron Paul? Political questionaires that don't mention religion match me consistantly with Huckabee. I voted for McCain. 90% of Blacks voted for Obama. 90% of whites voted for Hillary. On the republican side, people are voting on the issues. That's why conservatives don't like McCain.

KalvinB, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  19. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I think you don't understand, this country seperated church and state, it is actually against the law to make decisions based on religious beliefs. No one is suppressing religion with the idea of church and state seperation. It states you cannot allow or use your relgious beliefs in your decisions in public office, period.

20. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Are you a true GOP Bush sheep? Obama did NOT get 90% of the black vote, maybe you should do some research on your numbers. Obama's big voting percentage came from youth. You spread more crap than my lawnscapper when he puts down fertilizer. :rolleyes: