1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you please review my website and comment?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by gees7, Jan 14, 2016.

Hi everyone,
    I have restructured my wordpress blog into a complete online portal for architecture, interiors, landscape, construction and many more. I have been working on it since a long time. Her I would like you to review my site and give your comments on how to improvise the same.

http://archistudent.net/

Please take a minute and review the site. I would really appreciate your advice.

Warm regards,
    Guneet

gees7, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  2. Dreamer22

Dreamer22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I liked your design. May be you should write 500+ articles, it seems so short for search engines.

Dreamer22, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The one minute 24 second first-load REALLY isn't blowing my skirt up; the reason it taking so blasted long being quite obvious from the ridiculous 6 megabytes of content broken into 116 separate files. Handshaking ALONE should have a real-world average of 20 seconds and under ideal circumstances you'd be LUCKY to get a first load of less than that 20 seconds.

That THREE FREAKING MEGABYTES of that and nearly half the file counts is scripttardery, and another 750k in 19 files is CSS -- well, reeks of developer ineptitude based entirely on slapping together off the shelf parts any-old-way.

As evidenced by the site being an accessibility train wreck as well. Absurdly undersized fixed metric (aka size in pixels) fonts, media query triggers in pixels, goofy poorly rendering webfonts on flow content, absolute gibberish use of numbered headings breaking non-pointer navigation, and a host of other failings means it simply is going to be useless for a LOT of potential visitors.

... and that's BEFORE I pop the bonnet.

Of course, it's turdpress, so the HTML is bloated halfwit gibberish put together by people who have no damned business making websites in the first place... I could go on a long diatribe of the THOUSANDS of things wrong in the markup alone... from blocking scripts in the head to "semantic markup, what's that?" -- but let's just say you've got 123k of HTML to deliver 8.6k of plaintext and only around two dozen actual content images -- so that's easily six to eight times as much code as should have been used...

But that's turdpress for you... hence why as I often say if you don't know what's wrong with this:
    <body id="top" class="home page page-id-686 page-template-default lazy-enabled wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.9 vc_responsive">

<div class="wrapper-outer">

<div class="background-cover"></div>

<aside id="slide-out">

<div class="search-mobile">
    			<form method="get" id="searchform-mobile" action="http://archistudent.net/">
    				<button class="search-button" type="submit" value="Search"><i class="fa fa-search"></i></button>	
    				<input type="text" id="s-mobile" name="s" title="Search" value="Search" onfocus="if (this.value == 'Search') {this.value = '';}" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = 'Search';}"  />
    			</form>
    		</div><!-- .search-mobile /-->
    Code (markup):
    You probably have zero business working on websites.

Basically, read this multipart article I wrote here:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/article/whats_wrong_with_YOUR_website_index

About half of section 1, all of sections 2 and 3, and a good chunk of section 4 applies to your site.

deathshadow, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  4. gees7

gees7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks dreamer for your suggestion about post size.. I will surly look into that matter and post according.

@deathshadow, thanks for your comment. I have figured out some of your thoughts but I am not able to understand whats wrong with the script. I am getting it done from somebody, so please suggest me some simple ways to reduce the loading time and increase visitor count. Thanks

gees7, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  5. Achiever

Achiever Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    did you added css to site?

Achiever, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  6. VAKTA MONDAL

VAKTA MONDAL Banned

Best Answers:
    I just visited your site you listed. Looks good. Carry on!

VAKTA MONDAL, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  7. gees7

gees7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Achiever - CSS has not been set yet but it will be done very soon. I am sure you would like to subscribe the site for further information.
    @VAKTA MONDAL - Thanks for your comment. We are working hard to make it more refined and better.

gees7, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You probably have the wrong somebody if that's what they're vomiting up and calling a website. Turdpress starts out a bloated train wreck of ineptitude and how NOT to build a website and it takes a lot of hours and a lot of talent to drag it kicking and screaming into proper development practices. Ask them to change the layout to elastic and the fonts to a dynamic size -- if they don't know what that means.... find someone else. Tell them to lose the silly "post-load" image loading script that makes the page take longer to load -- if they balk at the mere notion of that.... find someone else.

You're kind of asking for silver bullet fixes when yes, bullets are the right tool as that mess really needs one to the head. It is such an ineptly slapped together laundry-list of how NOT to build a website that to be frank, I'd be tossing that entire mess in the bin and starting over from scratch. That 3.5 megabytes of scripttardery ALONE proves whoever is building that site for you has ZERO business making websites -- much less the ridiculous 1 megabyte of CSS being the pinnacle of developer ineptitude. If you've been told this is good site development, someone has blown sufficient smoke up your backside that I could probably chop you up, but your ribs into a styrofoam tray to win a BBQ competition.

Sadly that describes the majority of people making websites right now.

Admittedly, I say that about ~99% or more of the stuff people put together with turdpress, bootcrap, joomla, blueprint, yui, jQuery, foundation, or any other framework / off the shelf solution. The more of these the developer sleazes together out of ignorance or apathy, the worse it gets.

Which is how you end up with a 6.5 megabyte disaster built from 125 separate files -- resulting in 20 second to two minutes of first-load REGARDLESS of connection speed -- doing the job of half a megabyte in one or two dozen files.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    deathshadow, Jan 25, 2016 IP