1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would there be any issue using the following domain?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Grit., Sep 25, 2016.

So I was offered the chance to buy a domain, and it is simplygamerewards.com

Basically, I'm the worrying type sometimes, and I purchase video games through a website named simplygames.com

To me, the names feel extremely similar, and I want to know if there could be any potential repercussions if I was to purchase and use the domain I was offered. Is the potential similarity something for me to worry about?

Grit., Sep 25, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Probably not. There are similarities, yes, but whether there will be any problems will mostly be based on what you're gonna use the domain for. Are you gonna sell games? Are you gonna be competing with the other domain directly? And last, do simplygames have a registered trademark?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 25, 2016 IP
  3. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if i was to purchase the domain it'd be a reward scheme or something along those lines. I'm not the kind to go for selling items.
    From the look of it, there's no registered trademark on their behalf from what I could find

Grit., Sep 25, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Then you should be fine. However, there was a similar (although a bit more specific) thread here about Cisco being assholes recently. I didn't agree with their right to take that domain over, either, but yeah - I'm not one to back down if someone tries to make me back off just because they're bigger and have more money. In this case, however, I see no problems coming your way.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 25, 2016 IP
  5. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    games and game is not the same

Just dont compete to be safe.

I wouldnt even mention their site on yours, dont include their name in metatags or anything.

Dont know if they have an affiliate program, but if they do don't join it and bring attention to yourself

pmf123, Sep 25, 2016 IP
  6. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's that which concerns me. A business with a similar name, though not quite the same. I'd not be able to incur any legal challenges against it, hence why I was looking at avoiding any potential problems I could come across.

I think I'm going to steer clear of the domain for now. Thank you very much for the advice

Grit., Sep 25, 2016 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Probably a wise choice when you consider that anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time. Sometimes, a company with deep pockets will bring a lawsuit that they know would not likely win in court, but stand a reasonable chance of causing the other party to admit defeat prior to any courtroom activity due to legal costs.

jrbiz, Sep 30, 2016 IP
  8. geekability

geekability Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The main original intent of trademarks was to avoid any confusion in the minds of consumers. if your business is not similar to theirs and any reasonable customer wouldn't mistake you for them you shouldn't have much worry.

geekability, Nov 6, 2016 IP