1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

would earnings per click go through the roof if

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by greenway, Oct 20, 2005.

All publishers from asia and china had there adsense account terminated ?

Many AdWords advertisers now ban there ads from being shown to these areas of the globe.

Is click fraud the main reason EPC is now so low or is it just part of the reason ?

Chitika have banned all clicks from these countries,should google do the same ?

greenway, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  2. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    as long as they don't ban the publisher, I'm 100% agree. After all, I can click all my ads without worry of any invalid clicks

alang, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  3. KGL

KGL Peon

Best Answers:
    How is this so?

KGL, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  4. Ch-Nauman

Ch-Nauman Active Member

Best Answers:
    All publishers from asia and china had there adsense account terminated ?

I believe many of us would't like this assumption.

Ch-Nauman, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  5. randymorin

randymorin Peon

Best Answers:
    If you cancel a group AdSense accounts, for whatever reason, that'll free up more money for the other accounts and increase CPCs. So yes, cancelling accounts from Asia would increase CPCs. But, cancelling accounts from North Americans would also increase CPCs. Cancelling accounts for men less than six feet tall would also increase CPCs.

randymorin, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  6. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This would almost be the same thing as cancelling all accounts in Asia...though would have a much greater effect globally ;)

Infiniterb, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    Henny likes this.
  7. randymorin

randymorin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but it might result in me going on a murder spree :p

5'7''

randymorin, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  8. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Banning clicks is not the same as banning the publishers. Banning the publishers in Asian countries would not solve the problem of click fraud and would remove many legitimate businesses from the system through no fault of their own. The problem is with the clickers, not the publishers.

I was surprised to see Chitika say it so boldly, as evidenced by my blog entry today.

AdSense publishers can do some filtering themselves with a bit of coding. Then again, if all the AdWords advertisers end up excluding those areas from their campaigns then the geotargeting will take care of the problem -- if there's no ad inventory, there's nothing for the fraudsters to click.

This is why I wonder if Google is mostly letting the market sort this all out naturally. After all, there's nothing stopping advertisers from setting up multiple campaigns targeting different geographic areas. They would just bid less for campaigns in areas more susceptible to click fraud.

Of course, fraudsters can get around geotargeting by using proxy servers based in North America or Europe, so that's not the only solution. But wholesale banning of AdSense publishers from those areas will create more problems than it solves.

Eric Giguere, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  9. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Chitika's case is different from Google's.

Chitika is more about merchandising. With Chitika, even when the clicks are genuine , they are unlikely to convert to sales ...most of the stuff, services that is sold in countries of America , Europe is avaiable much cheaper in Asia..especially China and India. It makes sense for Chitika to keep them out..they are not going to get any sales from them.

Google has a worldwide presence and a much widespread user base.

Asia has a third of world Internet users and is growing much faster than rest of the world. Adwords is now becoming popular in Asian regions. Google cannot afford to keep out at this juncture.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

As suggested by Eric, Geotargeting is a much better solution for adwords advertisers.

sachin410, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    eXe likes this.
  10. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    with newbies around, I can't even make a joke. Got red for this?

Come on, its a joke ok, I'm from Asia too....do I have to put smilies on a post to make it looks like a joke?

alang, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  11. greenway

greenway Guest

Best Answers:
    dont worry alang,I got red because "china is in asia"

yes i know it is but being such a large country i include it on its own.
    I also know America is in iraq but i dont include arabia when talking about the usa.

greenway, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  12. pentium9

pentium9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Come on Greenway! I wish you were Chinese in order to keep ur mounth shut!

If you made a wish y dont you just wish all the other publishers would be banned tomorrow but you! so you will directly share profit with G. And probably one day we all have to call you Mr. Greenway - the world richest person!

Stupid idea!

pentium9, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  13. greenway

greenway Guest

Best Answers:
    pentium9 I am just asking do you think CPC would increase if all publisher acounts from asia were banned,as most fraud comes from that part of the world.

it is draining money from all good publishers not just me.

14. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone left a comment on my blog about how they asked Chitika about why they considered clicks from India and China invalid and Chitika's response was that so far they don't have any merchants targeting those areas. Which is a valid response, but it's not the way the statement in their FAQ reads -- they should reword it.

Anyhow, it's an interesting discussion!

Eric Giguere, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  15. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    Imho "because we want to limit click fraud" would be just as valid a response, after all it's their business, who are we to tell them which customers they will accept as long as they are not braking any laws.

Note: my knowledge of US law is based on tv shows, therefor I won't even begin to consider if it's legal or not.

blinxdk, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  16. lonecrow

lonecrow Peon

Best Answers:
    Well my 2 cents is that I blocked many well known countries from asia and africa directly in my firewall and It took a huge load off my email server.

I guess a side benefit is that I don't have to worry about clicks from there.

lonecrow, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  17. greenway

greenway Guest

Best Answers:
    emails from africa,now thats another problem.

18. etnu

etnu Peon

Best Answers:
    An even better solution would be to simply only allow 1 click per IP address per hour across the entire adsense network. Very few people LEGITIMATELY click on more than that, and the cost of obtaining enough IP addresses to make the fraud a profitable venture would be prohibitive.

Of course, with ipv6, the problem would come back a little bit, but there are other patterns that could be detected and isolated, and somebody using 50,000 unique ip addresses in one building would certainly generate a whole lot of suspicion.

Ultimately, if fraud were THAT big of a problem, they would have already done something about it.

etnu, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  19. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Yes you should use :D :p :) ;) these smilies in your post whenever you are making a joke.....oops I crossed the limit of 4 images so cant put any more smilies so here you go :p

The Webmaster, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  20. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Adword's advertiser control their campaigns including what countries they will pay for clicks from. I do like traffic from the US, UK, Austrailia and India but I generally accept all traffic due to the niches I deal in.

tbarr60, Oct 22, 2005 IP