1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would a 'Worker's Comp' site pay as well in Canada

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by NewComputer, Sep 9, 2004.

As it does in the US? I am not sure if it would or not. I have been looking at Shawn's tools here as well and AdWords and a few others and I have been wondering if me as a Canadian domain owner are being short changed on my clicks for being north of the border. I know that I get paid in US funds, but are my PPC's lower?
    SEMrush

NewComputer, Sep 9, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    it would be the same. (google has no way of telling which visitors on your site are from where- until they actually click)

but good luck optimizing and getting traffic for a worker's comp site :)

disgust, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I may have not made myself clear. Because I am in Canada, am I paid a lower CTR than say a .com company that we registered in the US? As for them no knowing where clicks are coming from, I would be pretty much 100% sure they can. They know when click fraud is being performed via IP addresses, they could also have a list of ISP's for Canada.

NewComputer, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I understand your question, the answer is no, the CPC/PPC won't change.

yes, they can determine where the user is from AFTER they clicked, but the amount they're going to pay you is determined BEFORE they click.

invalidation of clicks due to click fraud is a seperate issue, yes, that can be retroactive. geotargetting value on content matches can't be retroactive.

some advertisers can pick which countries they want to bid in- but that's only for the ads directly from google.

(the only exception to this would be if you're serving ads in another language, then it may vary- I'm guessing your site won't be in french though :))

disgust, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, they do, because it's the client-side that requests the AdSense JavaScript, which they can tell not only the country you are in, but the city. If you poke around, you will actually notice some AdSense on people's sites geotargetted for your location.

digitalpoint, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  6. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I notice that Adsense is geo-targeted on the client side.

I am in the UK and if I look at a US-based web site, I see Adsense ads from UK based advertisers.

Google will be determining the users location from the IP that requested the page, i.e the client browser's IP.

I believe where you host the site is irrelevant. It is where the user comes from that is the first level of relevance.

nadlay, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, you beat me to it.. lol

schlottke, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  8. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    interesting, I didn't know that.

I've seen results on googles pages that are obviously location-targetted, but never on content pages/adsense.. I always assumed they either couldn't do it or hadn't implimented it

disgust, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  9. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    It's probably much more noticeable for those of us outside the USA, especially in the UK because a lot of the ads have .co.uk URLs.

nadlay, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Depends on where you live I guess. I'm in San Diego, so there are lots of AdWords publishers with San Diego specific ads (travel, vacation, real estate, etc.) Find a real estate website with AdSense on it, and I bet you see some AdSense ads that looks regional for you.

digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2004 IP