1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working as a content writer

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by parsibagan, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Working as a freelance content writer, might well be one of the best jobs, for those who want to work from home. It might also be one of the worst, depending on whom you are working for. One fine morning you might find a well researched and carefully written article, returned back with the comment that, the word count is short. On discussing the problem with your employer, you discover to your horror, that the headline is not counted as a part of the job. This should set alarm bells ringing.

However, if you choose to ignore the alarm, you can be rest assured that the day is not far off, when you shall also be required to add a resource box to the end of the text. Next follows the author’s bio. And (blasphemy… starting a sentence with `and’) here is the pièce de résistance. You are paid a certain amount of money to thoroughly research and write an article of 500 words. All of a sudden you are requested to write 10 articles of 50 words each, (remember… headings do not count?) for the same amount of money that a 500 words article fetched.

The employer also states “There should be no speling or gramaticul errors and the articuls should pass the copyscape com, palgiarism will not be accepted.” Have a broad outlook. Instead of selling your articles for just $1, sell them for what they are worth. By selling them for $1 you are not only spoiling your future, you are also spoiling the future of many other talented writers. Look around and you will find gigs that pay a minimum of $10 per 500 words.

parsibagan, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  2. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    True to an extend.

It all comes down to the amount of work involved, which is why I have 2 sets of rates: One that is fixed, at $ 0.01 per word, no matter how large or how small they want the article to be. This I use for regular run of the mill standard SEO writing jobs. Jobs requiring lots and lots of research, thorough testing, and what not, fall under rate number 2, which is custom and negotiated on a case by case basis.

By the way I never count the title when I take on a job. To me that goes without saying. Are you stating that other writers count the title in their word counts?

Last, Employers making demands is fine, to an extend. In case they become unreasonable, I always have two options at my disposal: One, complete the assignment, and decline any other requests of that content buyer in the future, and two, in case the employer has created an unworkable situation, I can simply refuse, and ask him to find another writer. That is one of the perks of running your own business and not asking for upfront payments.

Like everything in life there are always up and downsides to any type of business, it's how you deal with them, that makes the difference.

Kraven2, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  3. SONIC MINE

SONIC MINE Peon

Best Answers:
    All comes down to the quality involved! - I can get 50, 500 word articles (not including headings :) ) for $75 , these are just about presentable - However would last about a week or two on article sites . Now you could pay $10 a piece and your article could last a couple of months even a year but the cost would be $500. It makes more sense to go for the later, but people always go for the former... : /

SONIC MINE, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  4. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what the article is for and whether or not you are dealing with a serious client.

The question should not be what it costs, but what you gain. If the return the article brings outperforms the cost of the article it is worth it.
    People who do not see that, do not last long online anyway.

Kraven2, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  5. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, no matter what the job is, if you feel like you are working for cheap your brain will churn out cheap stuff. And then you are pulling down the quality for everyone else because then they have to write cheap to get gigs. This whole thing is a vicious cycle and has resulted in 98% of the internet being filled with utter c*ap. Time for change?

lostpoet, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  6. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Kraven2: I do include the title in the word count, unless the article is of 500 words or more. Have heard complaints from clients like "do you check the word count while writing for your articles tend to end at 501-504 words". I just reply back that if the article does not have a proper ending or seems incomplete, I shall re-write it. Till date, only 1 had to be re-written. BTW, congratulations on your achievement ;)

@Sonic Mine: People go for the former because they do not look at things from a long term prospective.

@lostpoet: you are correct that it is time for a change, but who bells the cat?

parsibagan, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  7. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never got that kind of complaints simply because I do not count. In fact while writing I usually have to pace myself, and have been known to get carried away :D

I use word count to work out a deal with a client. For example: client comes to me wants x amount of articles at 500 words. That will result in a quote from me for the complete amount of articles at 500 words. Then I start writing and the only guarantee will be that the articles will be 500 words, they should, however not be surprised to find a few 600 words or more, because:

I deliver a quality product, whether it is a $ 5 piece standard article or a $150 SEO one, it will be perfect English and easy to read, if that takes a few words more, then so be it. I never charge for that though, it is my problem.

I guess I just can't be arsed to bother about a few words more :D

Kraven2, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  8. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot say whether my English is perfect or not, since this language is not my mother tongue, however, I try to keep down the percentage of errors as low as possible. I have yet to receive an article that increases my bank balance by $150, with $65 being the highest I have received for a single article. I do not mind running the extra mile for appreciative & positive clients, but for those who complain and send back an article, just because it is a word short, no way.

parsibagan, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  9. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Parsibagan — everyone bells the cat. Just ask for more and make sure these clients are not paying you as if you are a bonded labor. Why do all the hard work and let them laugh the way to the bank?

lostpoet, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  10. readerman

readerman Peon

Best Answers:
    as a content writer what is the hard action to do???

readerman, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  11. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post.

Look around and you will find gigs that pay a minimum of twice that per 500 words.

heh heh I haven't had one say that. Yet, anyway.

Uh-oh...I think I may have just jinxed myself!

Perry Rose, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  12. trafficweb

trafficweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm... May be time to find a new employer.

With regards to titles, I have never counted the title as part of the word count.
    It would be interesting to get a poll of authors who do.

In my humble opinion, a well-researched, well-written article is a world apart
    from the $1 to $5 article. Providing good information that solves a problem or
    quenches a desire is the best formula I have found for writing great articles.

To accomplish this, I try to adhere to the writing guidelines and requirements
    of major magazines.

trafficweb, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  13. azteca

azteca Peon

Best Answers:
    Demand Studios is a pretty high paying site, $15 for like 250-500 word articles. They pay twice weekly into your PayPal. They are very strict about grammar, spelling, etc. but I am making about 400 a week from them working part time from home. Not bad!

azteca, Jun 12, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That does sound good. Is this something like constant-content.com? I do pretty well with them :)

Kraven2, Jun 12, 2010 IP
  15. johagulo

johagulo Peon

Best Answers:
    At times you need to make sure that you have a bit of luck which you. Not everyone can get a good content writer, and in the same way not everyone can get a good employer.

johagulo, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Luck is something you create.

In my opinion there are two types of people:

1. The type that sits in the corner, waiting for what fate has in store for him or her.
    2. The type that takes fate by the throat and squeezes until he or she gets what he or she wants

I am a type 2 guy :D

Kraven2, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  17. topcontentwriter

topcontentwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a really good point. If people understood that quality brings results, they would pay more for writing. Quality definitely factors in to your traffic and site stickiness. Someone who comes to a site and sees absolute garbage is going to click away just as fast. Someone who finds an informative, well-written article is going to stick around and see what else you have to offer.

topcontentwriter, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  18. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find that running a content creation business can be very rewarding. It is also probably the easiest way to break into the world of home based business. Even though content creation does require some knowledge of keyword density and grammar finding writing gigs is actually quite easy when it comes to sites like DP. Even though the competition is quite high.

gvannorman, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  19. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    But traffic is Queen, without a doubt!

Kraven2, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  20. clashctyrokr

clashctyrokr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hate to be picky, but it's "to an extent".

clashctyrokr, Jun 18, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.