1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wordtracker data from KW suggestion tool questions

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by disgust, Jul 5, 2004.

I had a few questions about it:

is there any way to make it not truncate the list? ie is there any way I can get a full (or at least longer) list of searched terms that include a particular phrase?

also, this one I had always assumed but now I'm wondering... if it says there are x searches for "widgets" would searches for "blue widgets" and "widgets online" etc but included as a search for plain old "widgets"?
    SEMrush
    I assumed that they wouldn't but considering some of the traffic I'm not getting after getting in the top 10 for a phrase that gets > 15,000 searches a day on wordtracker I'm wondering about it.

disgust, Jul 5, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it's not possible to get a longer list from WordTracker (unless you actually have a WordTracker account).

As far as it including single word results with the others, check a search for western. There are fewer searches for that than 2 word phrases, so that makes me think it does not group them.

digitalpoint, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I have a WT account and I don't mind doing a run through for you - you can do a trial for free BTW - either way let me know what you want and I will do it for you :)

Foxy, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I tried signing up for the free trial, but it looks like that just gives you "related" phrases similar to what google would pump out for them.. I was trying to get a rundown of how often they're searched. am I just in the wrong place?

disgust, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm 99.99% positive that Word Tracker does not count the single word as part of the two, three or four word combinations. However there are all kinds of potential reasons that you may not be getting the results you expected.

1. WordTracker uses the search results from meta searchengines. These are normally thought to be lower than Googles searches but maybe this isn't the case for you keyword phrase.

2. Every time a webmaster looks to see where his site is listed this is counted as a search on that search term. So for any given search term the searches reported versus the real live searches by interested people can be quiet different.

3. What does the description of your site in the SERPs look like? Maybe other sites have a more interesting or appealing site description.

4. One potential problem with a single word keyword phrase is that it may have different meanings. Many of the searchers may not be looking for your type of web site at all. For instance I have a client in the electrical transformer business. But if you do a search on transformer you will never find a page about magnetic electrical devices. Tranformers today are these futuristic toys that kids play with that can be "transformed" into different shapes and configurations.

compar, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    how exactly does it get the data from meta search engines? I guess I don't understand that completely.

I'd still think I'd be getting a lot of traffic from it but perhaps I need to wait until I get a bit higher (in the top 5, maybe).

I'll try tweaking the descriptions a bit and see if that has an impact.

disgust, Jul 5, 2004 IP
  7. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Metas get their data from the "search engines" - in other words they "average" the searches

Top 5 will give you traffic but you should know that the sample of searches is taken from, I think, three days and then scaled - so sometimes these can be "mismanaged".

With the phrases/keywords on Wordtracker you can get three hundred initial "similar" KWs which you can then see the combinations - so you have to think a little laterally and you need to understand the market that you are aiming at. :)

Foxy, Jul 6, 2004 IP