1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Words That Make You [Sound] Intelligent

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by zac439, May 7, 2009.

1. gocali2009

gocali2009 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is nothing worse in writing than an author that uses too many 'clever' words.

Those you listed can easily be integrated naturally though.

gocali2009, May 13, 2009 IP
  2. chinatrout

chinatrout Peon

Best Answers:
    While we're nitpicking, "hunger plight" is very clumsy and probably wrong. "Plight" is not normally modified in that way. Worse, if you just say "plight of the homeless," then you are using a cliche - another mistake.

It's tricky territory trying to sound smart by using words you don't well understand. And it's futile if your readers don't understand them either.

Write to your audience.

Use words they are familiar with, even cliches (But not cliches used by journalists and academics , like the one above. Use real people cliches.)

Use short sentences.

And never, ever pronounce the "t" in often - unless you're British and don't know any better.

chinatrout, May 13, 2009 IP
  3. gocali2009

gocali2009 Active Member

Best Answers:
    While cliches are mostly bad, in some cases they work to create a feeling of familiarity for the reader. If you are trying to sell something it's good to have your reader feeling comfortable with you. That's why personal stories and cliches work so well. If we play on the emotions associated with a phrase it is an easy 'in' to making the reader relax.

gocali2009, May 13, 2009 IP
  4. chinatrout

chinatrout Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. That's why I specified academic and journlist cliches as opposed to real people cliches. In this case, I don't know of anybody who isn't overly educated and underly clear who uses "the plight of the poor."

Ironically, the good cliches are avoided by many academics and (US) journalists because they are afraid of not being taken seriously (i.e. if we could understand what they were saying, we might realize they don't know what they are talking about). Guys like Richard Feynman are never afraid to use common lingo, because they really are smart.

Just another reason to keep it simple. "Intelligent" words are often used to hide the fact that the author can't explain anything in common language. Although, they are useful for bullsh***ing.

chinatrout, May 14, 2009 IP
  5. jasonxav

jasonxav Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the context. Why would you use highfalutin words if your audience couldn't relate to it? You'll just alienate them and yes, you'll come off as someone who's arrogant.

jasonxav, May 17, 2009 IP
  6. wanderinglex47

wanderinglex47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I really don't like this type of language (as well as legalese). I somehow associate them with people who think too high of themselves and treat other like crap. Just look at the most successful people - none of them talks like that.

wanderinglex47, May 17, 2009 IP
  7. BelissaC

BelissaC Peon

Best Answers:
    Use words appropriately. Personally, I prefer to be exact, concise and brief. Being too wordy just won't cut it. It's actually a turn off

BelissaC, May 17, 2009 IP
  8. stodom888

stodom888 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Denise, explaining things the simplest possible way is best. There is no need for intelligent words. What is important is the organization of ideas. The explanation should be presented in a logical manner, explaining the most important to the least important points or the other way around.

stodom888, May 18, 2009 IP
  9. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    its a delicate balance depending on who your talking to. It's like when you talk to a doctor and he spits out allot of fancy words and you just want to punch him in the face for being a prick

ErikJ, May 18, 2009 IP
  10. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    making the message clear to the vast majority of your readers is what's more important than "sounding" intelligent IMO...

turbulence, May 20, 2009 IP
  11. jonathanfigaro

jonathanfigaro Peon

Best Answers:
    I use all of these word! They make me feel great!

jonathanfigaro, May 20, 2009 IP
  12. stodom888

stodom888 Peon

Best Answers:
    Write in the passive voice where your subject is the receiver of the action. You can also use inflated words. Here are some examples:

facilitate - help
    implement - start / create
    utilize - use

Then again I suggest that you keep your sentences simple, having the active voice and using non-inflated words. You want readers to understand your articles and not just to impress readers with your writing skills.

stodom888, May 21, 2009 IP
  13. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I was wondering (marveling) about (as respects) how (by means of) to use (apply) this (the thing indicated) post (report) to show (display) how (by means of) differently (adversely) you can (manage to) write (scribe) words (texts) in a way that can mean (purport) the same (comparable) thing, and this is what I came up with.

Cheap SEO Services, May 21, 2009 IP
  14. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Those words would actually be rather simple to most of the audiences I write for - not big or complex words at all. In fact, they're extremely common words in business writing (although given, I wouldn't use them on a gaming site or something). It's always, always, always about the specific audience. If you think they're bad though, you should try writing something targeting executives where you're instructed to use every big and buzz word in the book (yuck). ;)

jhmattern, May 21, 2009 IP
  15. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    <wisdom>

When it comes to looking smart, humor is in my not so humble opinion the best route possible.

Words are merely the building blocks, with them you can build a shack or the pyramids.

</wisdom>

Regards, George

geegel, May 21, 2009 IP
  16. kaioken89

kaioken89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel smarter already. lol

kaioken89, May 23, 2009 IP
  17. ashleyuk

ashleyuk Banned

Best Answers:
    These words are good I do admit but some common readers might find them hard to understand. Always remember your writing for the basic reader not a complex reader, A common reader is just intrested to get the information which he seeks and away he goes and to make him go to a dictionary or answers.com for finding the meaning of a complex word is not a good option in this age .

ashleyuk, May 25, 2009 IP
  18. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Says who? Not every writer here is writing for the same audience. When your audience calls for certain word choices, you use them, and that includes "big words." When your audience wouldn't understand them, you don't. It's really that simple.

jhmattern, May 25, 2009 IP
  19. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the majority of my readers would stop reading if I used those words. But I do use "big" words in everyday life. Not because I want to sound smart, but because I am smart and I know how to use various words to convey my point.

latoya, May 25, 2009 IP
  20. fastgene

fastgene Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good collection of words. Certainly will try to use them more and more in my daily life :)

fastgene, May 26, 2009 IP