1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress vs HTML5

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Claviceps, Feb 28, 2016.

Wondering what the general consensus think about web development optimized for search engines. I grew up in the days when any public script was looked down upon by the gurus and only custom coders were "l33t" I recently got back into the game for a few projects I am currently working on and am fairly convinced that WordPress offers a lot to individuals who want to slap together a decent optimized website. What is your take?

Claviceps, Feb 28, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress contains a tremendous amount of bloat and is not anything anyone could call optimized. It's use of HTML5 is unnecessary and redundant, requiring a shiv js file (which I hate). There are no meta keywords or description. It's got all sorts of ridiculous meta and link attributes, multiple class names for almost every element, relies on jQuery and externally-hosted font files...and on and on. Even the TinyMCE post editor is a pain in the butt that will strip out any custom HTML you use unless you find a plugin to stop it. And you need a plugin for every little thing, even stuff that should be part of the core functionality. And the default themes it ships with are terrible and the free themes you can find are not much better.

That said, if you want to slap together something quick, Wordpress is an option. But it is not optimized for anything other than being a major hassle.

The more I have gotten to know Wordpress, the more I dislike it.

billzo, Feb 28, 2016 IP
  3. Claviceps

Claviceps Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post. I think I will go with my gut instinct and,avoid WordPress. Just had to hear it from somebody else who has used WordPress. I am not planning on making the next Facebook scaled site just looking to get some of my stuff online. I may use WordPress for link building purposes to my mother site. Thanx

Claviceps, Feb 28, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Good questions to ask. If you are the only one maintaining a site then your choices are broader than if you have to allow registrations, logins etc. The moment security becomes an issue systems like WordPress, Drupal et al come into their own as they have people constantly on the look out for vulnerabilities. Equally they have people looking for the opportunity to exploit them but the DIY coder can come unstuck too.

sarahk, Feb 28, 2016 IP
  5. Claviceps

Claviceps Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks again,
    For the website I am thinking about making I need just a basic interface where I can have some packages lined out with a small description of services and prices. So I will go head with html5 for that. My next project will be more comprehensive with user interaction and possibly transactions so I am not sure what I will do with that. For something like that CMS like Wordpress or Joomla sure makes it easy to setup a community.

Claviceps, Feb 29, 2016 IP