1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wordpress plugins as zips not tar.gz

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by lowcostlux, Jan 13, 2009.

Sure I must be doing something quite dumb here but why are wordpress plugins all supplied as zip files? Seems to me that tar.gz would be more useful.

Is there a way to unzip them on a cpanel server? Only tar.gz seem to offer an extract option.

I have just done a few - download - unpack - pack again as tar - again as tar.gz
    Then they're ready to upload and extract using cpanel- file manager.

What am I missing?

lowcostlux, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  2. rjd22

rjd22 Peon

Best Answers:
    wordpress has a import and install option for plugins with the new version. In normal installations its at:
    "www.youresite.com/wp-admin/plugin-install.php"

Here you can select the zip file and install it without uploading it with FTP or SSH. ATM only zip is supported thats why.

rjd22, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  3. maestria

maestria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

If you want to install a wordpress, we can do this for you at a nominal cost.

maestria, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  4. lowcostlux

lowcostlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, rjd. That explains it.

Don't know about anyone else but for me replacing something that works without me waiting for a browser response (FTP client) with a web page interface is not an improvement.

Guess an FTP client with option to repackage a zip as tar.gz will be my next step.

lowcostlux, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  5. godinu

godinu Peon

Best Answers:
    put in an easy download plugin and u can install plugins directly to the blog without even having to DL them to your local pc. it's great!

godinu, Jan 23, 2009 IP