1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress MU Subdomain Based Tutorial - Setup in THREE STEPS

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by rjhere, Jun 10, 2008.

I have got so much from Digital Point and it's members, that I am giving something back. Below is my step by step guide in install Wordpress MU (subdomain based)...

I will also show you how to create a 16 Wordpress MU site blog network on 16 different ips if interested. You can do this for as little as $32.00 (16 .info domians) and 15 a month (hosting with 16 dedicated IP's).

What Type Of Hosting Do You Need?

To start you can go with shared hosting. Must be PHP and have sendmail, Mysql, modrewrite access, and a decicated IP. (dedicated IP is not needed as long as you can do wildcard subdomains in your control panel (*.yourdomian.com)

Wordpress MU Download

First step is to download it at http://mu.wordpress.org/download/ .

Once done unzip and upload to your hosting.

DNS Records (turning on wildcard subdomains)

I am going to go through the steps in turning this on with a dedicated IP address. I use a secondary name server at http://www.editdns.net . It's free and very reliable. What this allows you to do is to point your *.yourdomain.com to your dedicated IP.

Simply add the domain you chose and it will create the basic dns entries. Edit the "A" record IP addresses to go to your dedicated IP.

Then ADD a new "A" record with *.yourdomain.com pointing to your dedicated IP.

Change Permissions

Wordpress MU installation requires you to set the root and the wp-content folders to WRITABLE. Once DNS resolves, go to your domain and it will show the installation pages. It will tell you what permissions to give these folders.. (SET THEM BACK TO WHAT THEY WERE WHEN DONE)

Installation

Follow the instructions as prompted. Make sure you have your MySql database info (host, db name, username, and password).

Select subdomain based option for this example. You can choose either sub domain based or sub directory based blogs.

In the path, leave it as is if your blogs will be in the root folder. If you put the install on a sub folder then add this to your path. For example, you can install at usersblog.yourdomian.com/blogs/ which would be in the blogs subdirectory of your root.

That's all there is.... I thought this was hard to do at one time and even paid someone to do it for me. I just wanted to post this to help you help yourselves in installation.

Create a free blog hosting network

I will show you how you can create a 16 free blog hosting site network on 16 ip's if interested. I do ask you go through my web hosting partner for this as payment. Cost for setup if you are interested is domain registration for 16 domains, and about 15 a month for hosting and 16 ip's. Blog networks are great for link acquasition and do give you free content from your users that sign up..:)..

Anyways, if you have any input to this tutorial, or if I left something out respond here.

Thanks

rjhere, Jun 10, 2008 IP
    a$$-wise likes this.
  2. artlan

artlan Member

Best Answers:
    Can somone please elaborate on how to exactly create DNS Records (turning on wildcard subdomains)?

Are you suggesting to add xxx.com (just as an example) as the domain name with the corresponding ip and then add 1.xxx.com and than point it to a different ip?

Thanks

artlan, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  3. Peace4all

Peace4all Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks RJHERE for sharing this useful info with all of us. Wish more in future.

Peace4all, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  4. samazgor

samazgor Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i modified .htaccess but subdomain is not working :(

samazgor, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  5. bowodesign

bowodesign Member

Best Answers:
    mate this tuts is made at 2008 try to googling to get the latest tutorial to setting WP MU

bowodesign, Dec 3, 2012 IP