1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress & Localhost question

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by zinghana, Sep 26, 2009.

Hey all..

Hoping for some help on this one, i have a localhost setup and would like to design a few wp sites on my local machine before going live with them (my ISP / my bandwidth is currently capped to 7kb/s :mad: ) so to save time i would like to design some themes and add articles to them on my localhost...

The last time i tried moving a site from my localhost to my resellers account / live site, i got many errors... i have moved / sold / bought / transferred many sites and am familiar with transferring databases and site files and so on... but is there anyway to go directly from a localhost to a live site ?

I wish to pack up the files & database from my localhost and upload them to my server / domain.. but as the lets say localhost/testsite when i upload this to my site all the database is looking for is "localhost/testsite".

Would anyone around here have any advice as to how to solve this conflict ?

Is there a way possible to do this ??

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies, Cheers :)

zinghana, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  2. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    after upload

in wp_options table u can replace those things ( localhost/site ) and in .htaccess change those words too

chandan123, Sep 26, 2009 IP
    zinghana likes this.
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I do this all the time (develop locally, upload when finished)

Once my theme and content is all finished locally, I create a new (empty) WP install on the server - just as if I'm starting a new blog, tweak the permalinks etc, and upload my theme directory and any plugins. I've then got a blog that looks like my local version, but with no content.
    Then I export my WP db from the local install (via the WP admin panel), and import it into the live version on the server. Takes about 5 mins.

Basically... copy your theme over to a fresh empty blog, then import your posts.

Kerosene, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  4. zinghana

zinghana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help guys.. i knew it was possible just wasn't sure how, getting a little sick of manually adding all the articles across, Cheers again

zinghana, Sep 27, 2009 IP
    chandan123 likes this.