1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal? Which CMS should I use?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Timehacker, Feb 26, 2009.

1. optimizare

optimizare Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go with WordPress... There are some people that will recommend another CMS: Joomla..

WordPress is the best cms especially for beginners. It also offers very advanced features. And yes you can even make an estore using wordpress and a plugin. You can do just about anything with it. about the forum topic. MY advice: if you need a forum just install a forum platform like phpBB. Why would someone want to have a forum built in the same css. That's a big no no for so many reasons.

WordPress is huge.. You can easily find lots of themes for it. It's very easy to work with and if I am not mistaking if you ever need custom plugins or themes wordpress development prices are lower than those for other cms.

WordPress beats Joomla, if someone here is a Joomla fan then I dare you to come with a compelling argument to prove me wrong.

optimizare, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  2. koan

koan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok replace all the "Wordpress" with "Joomla" in your post and it still works.

koan, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  3. dickieknee

dickieknee Active Member

Best Answers:
    ... no way .... joomla is far more difficult to get up and running, it has too many features already included the seo is painful and the default install has a whole lot of rubbish and when you go to somones site who has no exp with joomla you can see the default articles...

wp you can start of easily and ad functionality as you go, there are more free themes with wp and the WP community is very helpful....

3 years ago, joomla was the go as WP was just starting out, now wp is more advanced and the Joomla people do not want people to migrate away and learn that WP can be a very effective CMS

dickieknee, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  4. superjacent

superjacent Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is this such a big no-no. I would have thought if the option is available to have an integrated forum that would be a bonus. If not wanted then fine, set up phpBB or whatever.

superjacent, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  5. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    uhm yeaa..
    I kinda like having a fully-integrated forum.. same css, same login info, same permissions base.. One(or two)-click setup.. kinda nice..

Tearabite, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  6. km11kh

km11kh Banned

Best Answers:
    its all depend on which type website u going to make .. is you are making a huge portal ...you can go with joomla..

km11kh, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  7. Vilmas

Vilmas Peon

Best Answers:
    I change WP. WP good cms for seo. Cuz she had many plugins.

I think we have used drupal on a few sites that have general content etc and a blog section. found the developer on here. now use them on a regualr basis.

if you are looking to implement it yourself i have no idea which is easy to use from a developers point of view
    Becoroser My deciding factor between Joomla and Drupal was the number of extensions. Joomla seemed to have more.

There could be two different reasons for this. ..

1. If your 10th post was very recent, it might not be in affect yet. The system checks for users that need to be "upgraded" once an hour (on the 25th minute of the hour).

2. You need to be a member for at least 7 days.

3. The forum has a reputation system that allows users to add or take reputation from other users (you can find details on how it works by clicking here).

If your reputation falls below a certain level, the system automatically revokes your ability to have a signature and live links.

If your reputation returns to being above the threshold level, the system automatically restores your ability to use live links and signatures.

So, this means it's a good idea to try and get along with others. :)
    Our system has automatic signature guideline enforcement. Currently the restrictions are:

* Up to 250 characters
    * No more than 3 lines
    * No more than 4 links
    * Images are not allowed
    * Adult links are not allowed

Signatures and live links within posts are not available to users until they have been a member at least 7 days, have positive (green) reputation and have at least 10 posts.

Vilmas, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  8. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Easy...Wordpress. Basic HTML and PHP knowledge is all I have too and I can usually make wordpress into a pretty good CMS. You can make pages and subpages and even more (you just have to get ride of one line of code to make the pages so they don't all show up on the front page menu). Theres tons of plugins, even more themes, and there's almost an unimagined number of designers/developers around. Just look here in DP, theres a lot of wordpress services!

I've used many CMS Systems, but as you can see, Wordpress is clearly my favorite! And thats the one I'd reccommend!

ksb2050, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  9. ibanezgrx1

ibanezgrx1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla! has all of those things. Think before you speak.....

ibanezgrx1, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  10. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Chios, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  11. GeekDrop

GeekDrop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll never get a straight answer since everyone has their own (strong) opinion. If you have omly basic skills at the moment, I'd suggest Wordpress. Once you've mastered that, maybe move up to something like Drupal or Joomla.

GeekDrop, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  12. Maximus325

Maximus325 Active Member

Best Answers:
    WP is the simpliest, but not so flexible like Drupal

Maximus325, Sep 12, 2010 IP
    Chios likes this.
  13. abrardesigner1

abrardesigner1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have a requirement, and I'm confused which CMS to follow either Wordpress/Drupal, Can any one help me, Itz really really urgent for me to know which CMS to use my requirement is as follows

1.I want to create a customized CMS site where the users can download/upload thousands of media files(audio,video,Image,Pdf) for free.
    2.This CMS site must be fast to acces, SEO friendly, Social Media(facebook,twitter) should be also included.
    3.There are few roles in my CMS like
    a)Contributor : first he should register for an account, and should be able to upload & download files.
    b)End User : first he should register for an account, and should be able to download files for free.
    c)Administrator : Monitoring the activities of Contributor & End User, and capable to approve posts.maintain reports,hold full access of WP.
    4.Paypal should also be integrated in this CMS(for donation).
    5.Users must be categorized like free user,Premium user...etc.
    6.Ability to face book the specific file which they are downloading.

Any one please go through these requirements and please let me know as soon as possible, which CMS to use either Word Press/Drupal/any other CMS..

Thanks in Advance

abrardesigner1, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  14. ecmcircle

ecmcircle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, 
    we can get many features in both joomla and drupal. For an example Drupal is much more flexible when it comes to the development and setting up the theme and layout of the website. Joomla! is known to be surrounded by the paradigms set by itself, and offers less scope to be flexible.
    So Both having different kind of features which depends on processing..

thanks

Drupal Web Development | Drupal Web Developer |Drupal Website Development | Drupal Website Developer

ecmcircle, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  15. rlnorthcutt

rlnorthcutt Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress - Tends to have the shortest learning curve and is the easiest to do theming.

Joomla - Potentially more flexible than WP with lots of nice commercial plugins... slightly easier to learn than Drupal.

Drupal - Steepest learning curve but with the most flexibility. Arguably has the most helpful community and most of the thousands of modules are free to use.

As a professional developer, I build with Drupal almost exclusively - its secure, constantly updated and has an amazing community. But, the best part is when a client comes back to me and wants to add a new feature or extend their site. Most of the time I am able to help them get exactly what they want with a lower development budget. Because the system is inherently designed to be a flexible framework, we can build our own web applications with ease (all things considered).

If you want something up fast that you can make look pretty and do most of what you need... then I'd probably say WP. If you want to invest in a more robust site that you know you can continue to extend without difficulty, then go with Drupal.

One final note - if you are starting now, and you want the most "toys" then you'd want to use Drupal 6. If you want a simpler, more efficient system and don't yet need all of the extra modules, then Drupal 7 is pretty amazing.

ron

rlnorthcutt, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  16. michaelzhang

michaelzhang Peon

Best Answers:
    I built website by using wordpress ,because it easy to use.

michaelzhang, Feb 15, 2011 IP