1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress::: How to exclude page from showing up in search results

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by bigpapa, Dec 1, 2008.

I have been searching all over for a simple solution to this WITHOUT having to install an entire plugin for this simple action. I would rather edit the template as needed.

I am trying to exclude one or two particular pages from displaying in any search results.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks for any help.

bigpapa, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    When you post, at the bottom is 2 check boxes. 1. To allow comments. 2. To allow pinging. Uncheck the pinging box, and that post won't be included in when your blog automatically pings.

There is also an option on the right, that will allow the post to stay private, and also at the bottom, you can password protect the post.

Works with pages too.

Hope some of this helps.

hmansfield, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  3. bigpapa

bigpapa Banned

Best Answers:
    All of my pages have comments and pings disabled. They all show in the search results, which is fine but I want to exclude just a few manually- just from the search results, not from displaying in their categories.

bigpapa, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  4. dpsubi1

dpsubi1 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    disabling comments/pings will not help. if the main page can be identified by google then it will also search other pages on the site and will add it search results.

if you are use Platinum SEO Pack plugin there is an option like "index, follow index, nofollow noindex, follow noindex, nofollow" which will help

or you can edit your templates and add no index header for the required post ids ...

dpsubi1, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  5. ridgey2805

ridgey2805 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi I was having the same trouble and tried numerous things to sort it out until I came across a theory myself which works without a plugin. Wordpress automatically assigns the default category to your wordpress single pages. So I created a new default category. created a new page and copied the contents into it and then obviously once saved it is assigned to the new category. Then put a simple query in the search page to exclude that particular category.

See my blog for more details www.worldoweb.co.uk

Hope this helps other people that encounter the same problem

ridgey2805, Feb 16, 2009 IP