1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress Forum (BBPress) Software Opinions

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by stallican, Jan 6, 2009.

Hi,
    Anyone out there using the BBpress on a web site. I have used several other forums such as PHPBB which have worked out well. However, since the Wordpress Forum platform integrates users with my Wordpress blog, I have been thinking about using it on a new site that I am building.

I have seen BBpress set up over at the Wordpress site, and I must say I quite like the look of it. But it has to be functional.

For this site, less is more. I don't need a lot of features for the viewers, just the ability to register & post their opinions.

I am mainly interested in
    1) Power & Speed. Is the software scalable? Anyone have experience with this with respect to lots of users?

2) Customization. Can the Wordpress blog be themed or customized easily. I have been a full time web developer / programmer for 10 years or so I should
    be able to handle it, I just don't want to get into a new big can of worms.

3) Administrative Functions. Do they compare well with the other forum platforms.

Thanks in advance. Any and all comments, experiences & insights will be greatly appreciated.

stallican, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  2. bobbyt

bobbyt Active Member

Best Answers:
    1) Power and speed
    This should answer your question: http://bbpress.org/about/examples/
    2) Again refer to the above URL.

As for customization ease and availability of add-ons, I suppose bbPress is the most customizable wordpress forum software (with its closest competitors Simple:press Forum and SMF with WordPress bridge). Also, read this for first-hand customization experience:http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=591

3) I suppose its features are as good as its other two main competitors (SMF is a full-blown forum software, so no doubt it is good).

Anyway from the 1st URL I shared, we can deduce that bbPress has good security features, great spam protection and wonderful speed.

bobbyt, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  3. stallican

stallican Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks,
    I am installing it now!. I'll post any good / bad / ugly here later on.

stallican, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  4. ravee1981

ravee1981 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well? any updates?

ravee1981, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  5. stallican

stallican Peon

Best Answers:
    Well,
    I tried it out and here's what I came up with.

1) It was easy to install.
    2) it configured very quickly
    3) It did integrate easily / quickly with wordpress.
    4) Customizing the forums look and feel was verrrrrrry easy, mostly via css. If you have ever customized PHPBB, it is a bit on the complicated side.

On the downside.

1) As far as I could see, there was no way to do hierarchical sub-forums, which I needed for my application.

2) The other thing that I didn't like was that a lot of the extras that you might need for a forum were plug ins, some of which didn't work very well. I think that some more development might be in order.

All in all, if you want a quick forum to tack on your wordpress blog to get a bit of discussion going, it would be a good option. I wouldn't use it for a full production site where a forum was the focus of the site. I think it's a bit short on features for that. And I expect that if you installed a lot of the plugins, it would slow down a bit.

Hope this was helpful to some of you.

stallican, Feb 5, 2009 IP