1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress external links

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by scyth, Oct 5, 2008.

This may sound quite dumb but how do I add external links in wordpress. I know how to get them to appear down the side but I need them on the nav bar. When I go to new page it doesn't set it as a link. :confused: Any help would be great

scyth, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  2. toy17s

toy17s Peon

Best Answers:
    add new blog rolls to the backend

toy17s, Oct 5, 2008 IP
  3. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    Linking to another page in Wordpress -- you just use the relative URL (assuming you are using permalinks feature in Wordpress): eg, if page filename is "contact", you would just link the href in your <a> tag to "/contact/".

<a href="/contact/">link title</a>
    HTML:
    For an external site, just use the full URL, starting with "http://www.sitename.com/"

<a href="http://www.sitename.com/">link title</a>
    HTML:
    Hopefully that helps!

DeanKennedy, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  4. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    The other reason you might not see new pages in your Nav Bar is that it is "hard coded" -- ie, only certain pages are coded to be included in that list.

If you look in your theme's header file, you might find a nav bar section that has a list of "included" pages -- with numbers showing. These numbers are the page's ID -- if you go to Manage > Pages and hover over the edit link for the relevant page, you can tell the page's ID number.

If that's the case, you could include it by manually editing the list to include the number.

For the list of numbers, it is always in order of smallest to largest.

Alternatively, the nav bar might just have the actual relative links like in my previous reply -- in that case you could also "hard code" the link into the relevant position in the order of nav bar links.

Either way, it sounds like your nav bar doesn't just pick up the full list of pages and use that to create the set of links.

DeanKennedy, Oct 7, 2008 IP