1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Stax_Daniel, Oct 3, 2007.

I'm looking for advice from some people who use these programs a lot (i'm a vbulletin guy myself)...

I'm planning on making a new site, and these are some of the features I'm planning on...

Main Page
    Other Static Pages
    Directory
    Blog
    Forum
    Possibly some sort of member download/information center
    wiki

it sounds like a lot...but it's going to be for a non-profit charity type site...so all the sections will actually be used a lot with what i'm planning...and would be better served all on one site rather than a lot of different sites (i.e...one domain for directory, one for wiki...etc)...i want them all incorporated together.

Can one of these 3 systems have all of these easily incorporated (or default/addon features)...I could always use vb for a forum, wordpress for blog, phpld for directory, etc...but that would be tons of work to get them all bridged together, etc...

I'm looking for the most simple, end-user (only one account for everything) friendly implementation...and while i'm perfectly capable of reading information about all 3 of these CMSes...i thought it might help to hear info from those of you who have used them a lot..and what would work best for me..

Stax_Daniel, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  2. maracola

maracola Member

Best Answers:
    I think Joomla is better, some Joomla plugin can help your wanted.

maracola, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  3. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input...do you have any reasons why?...i was hoping for some more indepth information :D

Stax_Daniel, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  4. seoecom

seoecom Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal. Watch my free videos to get started. Joomla is easier to use, however once you get over the learning curve, the modules, features, SEO capabilities make it a better alternative

seoecom, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  5. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    Does it have all the capabilities I asked about?...

Learning curve isn't a concern to me, I learn stuff like this easily...my concern is the ability to combine all the things I need into one CMS...and make it usable for the end-user

6. ass45sin

ass45sin Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't help you with WordPress and Joomla but Drupal has all that capability. Some notes though..

Blog: If the blog is for a single user then drupal's blog module would be just okay. If it's a multiuser blog you need to tweak it a bit.

Forum: Since you're used to Vbulletin. er..Drupal forum module features looks pale in comparison to Vbulletin's features. It certainly do quite well for a normal user forum but once you decided that you want to make it like, DP for example, you'll have one hell of a time tweaking. So you might want to use the Drupal Vbulletin module and use the Vbulletin for well.. making the forum.
    http://drupal.org/project/drupalvb

Other features you need like Wiki you can use

"Liquid Wiki Engine Project" http://drupal.org/project/liquid
    "Wikitools" http://drupal.org/project/wikitools

And

"PEAR Wiki Filter" for Wiki type formatting. http://drupal.org/project/pearwiki_filter

Other then that it does the other things you need very well.

ass45sin, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  7. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:

does it have a directory module? I've been looking and haven't found one quite yet...

8. ass45sin

ass45sin Peon

Best Answers:
    ass45sin, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  9. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    lol, thanks :)...guess i over looked it...

EDIT:...just realized i searched for dorectory instead of directory :D

10. ass45sin

ass45sin Peon

Best Answers:
    No prob.. when one spends his life 16 hours a day in front of their computer it happens.. ^__________^

ass45sin, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  11. alexjstubbs

alexjstubbs Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried all three (and expressions engine as well) and I have to say Wordpress.

Since it has the biggest following you can easily find any answers to any questions- or find a plug in to do whatever it is that you are looking to do.

Plus when it comes to designing - wordpress wins hands down

alexjstubbs, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  12. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm going with Drupal at the moment, we'll see how it works out.

I was thinking about wordpress...but i don't want the site to seem like just a blog...

Stax_Daniel, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  13. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla has a built-in directory but there are other components that you can find that would be suitable, or just add a forum separately in a subdomain or folder. I've never worked with vBulletin, so I don't know if someone has integrated it, or found a way for it to work in conjunction with Joomla.

Joomla has dynamic content management for your front page, as well as a static content manager. There's a built-in editor for creating pages, or you can install many third party editors, or just turn them all off and write in .html. You can create blogs, emagazines, whatever.

Joomla is so diverse, and there are so many people working on applications for it, that you'll almost always find something that will help you match your website to your needs.

There is a bit of a learning curve, like any CMS, but there is such a huge community at www.joomla.org that you'll always have support.

TikTok, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  14. mic

mic Peon

Best Answers:
    Just Found Out That This Site Uses Drupal: TeamSugar.com :eek::eek::eek:

mic, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  15. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    wow, thanks for sharing...that site looks pretty nice :)...hopefully i can get my drupal looking that good

Stax_Daniel, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  16. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For multiuser blog with drupal there is no tweaking to do, if you go to yourdrupaldomain.com/blog you have the blog entries of everybody all in one list.

But wordpress is clearly out of the question regarding the features you want!

Joomla can be appealing, but don't be fooled, drupal is still the best.

Soon joomla 1.5 will be released and as it is meant to be a big step forward, I will have a proper look, but drupal is really a work of art I have nothing bad to say about it!

JamesColin, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  17. onedollaridea

onedollaridea Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla rocks

onedollaridea, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  18. greatness008

greatness008 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that teamsugar.com site is a darn pretty drupal page!!

greatness008, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  19. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the opinion....but would you happen to have a more helpful comment/information?...lol

Stax_Daniel, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  20. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    wordpress would be a bit of a dog because it would only do certain functions so the other stuff will need to be bolted on as stand alone products. Not a problem, probably more effective but integration will be a nightmare.

use WP for mainpage, sub pages, and blog.

bolt on SMF for your forums.

bolt on PHPLD for your directory manager

and mediawiki

but theyre all standalone, probably incredibly powerful but I would go with Drupal or Xoops or something where it can be integrated into one site.

blade007, Oct 15, 2007 IP