1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress, Dreamhost, best use of my domain?? Help please.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by JayUdee, Feb 24, 2013.

Hello. I have a domain. LLLLL.com which I'm trying to develop for ad income for value for resale. Just getting started. I opened a blog on Wordpress named LLLLL.wordpress .com

My domain was previously parked at GoDaddy, and I was able to set it up so that LLLLL.com went directly to LLLLL.wordpress .com

Now, as I wanted to create history, stats, and value for the domain I own, I transferred the domain to a hosting plan I have at Dreamhost.

So now I have problem: On Dreamhost we uploaded Wordpress OneClick. The resulting site for LLLLL.com does not include the blog on LLLLL. wordpress .com
    Also, the template I used on the wordpress blog isn't available on the Dreamhost Wordpress One Click. The OneClick on Dreamhost appears to have few options for templates.

I don't know if I should continue with the domain on Dreamhost
    move the domain back to GoDaddy and pay for hosting there
    or a third option
    Wordpress has an option available for $13. a year where they offer to:
    "You can use a domain that you already own, such as example .com, with your site here at WordPress.com.
    Your old .wordpress .com address will still work, but we’ll automatically redirect traffic from your old address to your new one. That way, you won’t lose any readers after mapping your domain name."

QUESTION: Remember my goal is to increase value of LLLLL.com I don't know any of the details which are important in evaluating, page rank, backlinks, etc. I'm just starting and have no idea about those things. So my concern is that I set my domain up correctly so that it does build the proper recognition, or records showing it's history and getting credit for all visitors to the blog.

Your Ideas, thoughts, insight please?

JayUdee, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  2. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No one cares what WordPress Theme you're running, they care if you have good content. Look at Craigslist.org, no design, no CSS, straight up ugly but straight up useful.

If you want a solid strategy for building a blog read this guide by Steve Pavlina.

Also if your goal is to simply sale your domain, content and blog you really won't be creating anything you want to keep. You should only create lllll.com with the intentions of keeping it for 30 years. Why? Because that's the only real way to sale something by putting 100% into it. You need real love for your creation because we all feel the lie behind the blog posts you didn't write or the design you bought from a template site.

Care first about your readers then worry about themes, bells and whistles.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    ArchAxis, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  3. JayUdee

JayUdee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the motivational lecture but it happens that I'm working very hard on content and providing 100% unique content. I'm not posting garbage. Nobody will read a low quality site, so that really goes without saying doesn't it? I was being forthright about my business plan. Ad income or create something which someone else WANTS to own - because of it's quality and value.

My question is regarding the technicality of whether the domain name gets the same history and ratings using the Wordpress redirection of traffic and mapping domains.

JayUdee, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  4. JayUdee

JayUdee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion this http://soozu.wordpress.com/ is superior to this: http://www.soozu.com/

But the domain I want to build value for is www.soozu.com not the wordpress name.

I don't know if forwarding my wordpress blog to soozu will rank pages or create history for Soozu or for Wordpress.soozu

JayUdee, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  5. ArchAxis

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the clarification, in your example http://soozu.wordpress.com/ is not superior to this: http://www.soozu.com/ why? Because you don't own the main domain name Wordpress.com.

If you want to increase the value of your blog go with a selfhosted version of WordPress (download it from http://wordpress.org) and own the complete domain name not a sub domain of a free service like WordPress.com.

If you buy the premium option to host your domain on WordPress Soozu.com would get the traffic, page rank etc not soozu.wordpress.com, for example http://techcrunch.com/ is one of the largest blogs I know of using WordPress.com and it retains its page rank, and stats.

ArchAxis, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  6. JayUdee

JayUdee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you ArchAxis for this reply. This is helpful. And I did overlook the link you provided in your first reply which is also a very useful reference. Sort of a 'how to bible'. I can make great use of it. ~ Thanks for sticking in there and getting to a good conclusion in our communication. I appreciate your dedication and sharing.

JayUdee, Feb 25, 2013 IP
    ArchAxis likes this.
  7. ArchAxis

Best Answers:
    No problem! Yeah I guess the link looks like a DP Ad so it would be wise to overlook it :)

ArchAxis, Feb 25, 2013 IP