1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress directory theme. Profitable?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PNV, Sep 29, 2014.

I have a big database of 1500 local travel businesses
    I have been checking out some directory wordpress themes, like the city guides. The designs are getting really good.
    and im wondering if it could work?

How would it be executed?
    how do you start to get the business to sign up in the beginning?
    send out invites?

PNV, Sep 29, 2014 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess if I were going to start a directory today wordpress would not be my choice for driving the directories engine. I would look at something better suited for the actual directory itself. Design is really only one aspect of a directory. You're going to need something that is capable of scaling well should your directory grow. It will need to be easy to manage and capable of helping you keep your directory fresh and devoid of bad/dead listings.

I think I would really suggest just buying something someone else already started. I think that would be easier than trying to start something from the ground up. Its going to be easier to garner new listings when you have a directory that is populated, categorized and well indexed already.

Mia, Sep 30, 2014 IP
  3. luken

luken Member

Best Answers:
    yes you can create a good business directory with wordpress. In plugins search Business Directory you will get it. also chk recently i made a article directory using same plugin.
    you can also see my article directory by searching "Articles Venue Free article Directory" on Google.
    Thanks

luken, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  4. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These days, there are many WP theme creator, but we notice that some of theme are very slow or map loading time is very slow. It could be profitable, if any theme there with better features and loading speed(both are important).

cm2010, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The problem as I see it with just about every WP site is they all look the same. That too me not only looks spammy from an end users perspective, but looks equally spammy to an SE.

Mia, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  6. gino

gino Member

Best Answers:
    I would list some local companies for free to fill in the content for now until you start getting submissions to your directory. If you have an empty directory, I don't think anyone would submit to it.

gino, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  7. PNV

PNV Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats what im thinking too. Thanks

PNV, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  8. AlexanderMedia

AlexanderMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking of doing something similar. My initial plans are to input the database (once I find one that works) then separate the directory by categories. I'm doing within a certain radius of a metro area. Once that's done, I will begin selling ad space within those categories on the sidebars and in banners to those who want more exposure. Granted, this will not be easy, but I think it can be monetized this way.

AlexanderMedia, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  9. Edward Johnson

Edward Johnson Active Member

Best Answers:
    definately, wordpress directory theme is profitable because it has its own positive prospects and profits.
    wordpress directory theme helps us in many differ manner like
    • creates client for our website/blogs,
    • through giving advertisement, we can generate revenue from it,
    • due to this theme, we gets opportunity to work with different feild,
    • know the proper and latest updates of market.
    hence, wordpress directory theme is win-win situation for users.

Edward Johnson, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  10. katkay1

katkay1 Member

Best Answers:
    I liked your plan and I think your business plan is good to start with. However SEO for directory website is very important and if you want an optimized theme for that I would suggest SmallBusinesser.com Directory theme.

katkay1, Apr 1, 2015 IP