1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress Directory plugin - which one?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Jez, May 8, 2009.

Hi has anyone had any experience with directory plugins? I looked at the one at squarecompass but it is very basic (although fast and simple) but mainly it does not support categories (though a prem version is supposedly coming but no release date and no mention if it will have more feautures or not).

Has anyone tried any others?

Jez, May 8, 2009 IP
  2. jtpratt

jtpratt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried them all - and IMHO they all suck dramatically. In the last month I did come across WP Directory Pro though and it is outstanding (and not just because the others sucked so badly).

jtpratt, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks but it doesn't look much if any better AFAIAC.

Titles don't seem configurable (I may, and I hope, be wrong) they don't even reflect the category name let alone the detail name. Have you got past that with your copy? If it can be fixed I would say it's probably worth buying but as it is I wouldn't.

In what ways other than that is it outstanding?

I don't know why so may of the directory plugins are so SEO unfriendly!

Thanks for your reply.

Jez, May 8, 2009 IP
  4. saiful-rez

saiful-rez Peon

Best Answers:
    Any other plugins which I can get for free.

saiful-rez, May 8, 2009 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WP Directory Pro looks like it has potential except:

The skin is very drab
    It takes over the installation instead of integrating within a blog
    It doesn't look like it is coded to open links in a new window

I've still not seen one that looks good. And what message are you sending if your site doesn't look good?

internetmarketingiq, May 8, 2009 IP
  6. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it looks the best I agree but the fact that it's not SEO friendly is quite a big deal in today's web world. I am really surprised no one has made a really top notch one yet.

ooooh! 500th post! I've only been a member since 2004! Not bad, eh?

Jez, May 8, 2009 IP
  7. Bruceper

Bruceper Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm Bruce, the owner of WPDirectory Pro. Just responding to some of the posts/comments.

You say the skin is drab? But WPDirectory doesn't have a skin, it uses the Wordpress theme.
    Takes over the installation? No, it's a true Wordpress plugin. You're thinking of IndexU which is a totally different product. IndexU and WPDirectory Pro used to be run by the same company, now they're not.
    Open Links in a new window? That's up to you, you can change it if you want.

As for the page titles, it is/was fixed, but it doesn't seem to be working in a lot of server configurations, including on the demo. That will be fixed in the next version (1.5) along with a new language file.

As for "SEO", there's a lot more to SEO than just page titles. The script is using as many as it can and will improve as time goes on. There's a lot to change still.

As a background story, WPDirectory Pro was simply intended to be a companion product to IndexU, with very few features. Now that it is no longer with that company, it will be expanding and will offer a lot more features just like most directory scripts.

And if you're interested, there is a coupon for 20% off. The coupon code is "newsite" without the quotes.

Bruceper, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  8. hishaman

hishaman Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, plz don't pay for any plugin before checking it very well! I have tried WPDirectory personally, and it's not getting enough support, also the support forum is unavailable, and so many members is asking for refund but no respond from Bruce to anyone yet!

hishaman, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  9. arcguy

arcguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DirectoryPress Was the Plugin which was initially Free but now they are charging for there Theme....Tricky Way

arcguy, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  10. bemmel

bemmel Guest

Best Answers:
    I can agree with that, the website and the plugin look both quite professional so I decided to buy this script from Bruce Peresky at www.wpdirectorypro.com or www.avtronics.net. Big mistake!!!

We couldn't find the download or license key in our admin panel of www.wpdirectorypro.com so we mailed Bruce Peresky about it (6 times!), we even called him (it was 05:00 AM in Canada so we awoke him, sorry about that Bruce) but we didn't got ANY reply at all and we lost our money. It's only 39 dollar but who knows how many people he already mislead this way?

It's too bad because I had great plans with this plugin but when you're thinking of buying this script you better think twice.

When Bruce solve this problem with us, we will place it also on this forum. Fair enough.

By the way, check this out on his homepage:

Why is WPDirectory PRO is the best WordPress Directory plugin?
    One year of free updates
    7 day money back guarantee!
    Instant Download
    Secure Ordering
    Dedicated Support Team NOT!
    Active Community Forum

This is hilarious!

bemmel, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  11. InSpiralz

InSpiralz Guest

Best Answers:
    InSpiralz, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  12. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i did directory Press for friend and that was good.

Jalpari, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  13. enclave

enclave Peon

Best Answers:
    I love Classipress the new version (3.X) is pretty and elegant to admin and payments for listings just work.

Now where is my affiliate link... ;-)

enclave, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  14. sakto

sakto Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend Classipress too since it can be configured according to your need and there's an active support forum too. By the way Classipress is not a plugin but rather a theme. You can check out my blog post about it in my signature link.

sakto, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  15. enclave

enclave Peon

Best Answers:
    btw if you have an exisiting site you can always do a seperate install as /directory

enclave, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  16. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DirectoryPress looks good as a directory theme/plugin for WP...should give it a go.

Ibn Juferi, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  17. sheelgohe

sheelgohe Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree Mark Fail's DirectoryPress is good. I feature I would like to see is bulk imports of directory from a csv file.

sheelgohe, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  18. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Same here. I thought it looked good and plopped down my pay pal card only to find there was no support.
    What sucks is, I am sure that my issue was a small one...I didn't even want a refund, I just wanted some support to make it function properly.

No email response or support.
    The Phone number on the website is disconnected
    The "Coming soon" forum. Nope!
    Even Pay Pal or 2CO couldn't get a response from him.

I ended up getting a refund. I can't believe 2CO hasn't dropped that product yet since the owner is missing in action.

Just tragic. TRAGIC!

hmansfield, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  19. Gangstamonu

Gangstamonu Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a directory site with WordPress maybe you can like it: "sitedizin.com"
    and add url page: "sitedizin.com/site-ekle/" It's theme but working like a directory site well. :)

Gangstamonu, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  20. ejhost

ejhost Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of the feedback here.. after much reading I'm probably going to go with Directory Press... It is $79.. but allows for unlimited installs, etc.

Question for those in the know (haven't read through everything there yet)... Is it easy to integrate with a current WP theme?

I'm planning on installing it as a second WP installation, but wanted to keep my look and feel of the site.. Is that a pain to do with DP?

Thanks in advance.. will head over to their forums tomorrow and read more.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    ejhost, Jun 30, 2010 IP