1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress as cms, Newbie help

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by xChapx, Jun 17, 2017.

I am new to website development, one peer of mine that haves more experience told me to do this:

1. Design website using wordpress
    2. Host website on digital ocean
    3. Give user wordpress account to use as cms
    4. em profit?

As far as i know, wordpress also gives you the hosting service, also all of this made me make some question:
    ¿Can you export and import website "templates" from wordpress?
    ¿Can you use wordpress for design and cms, and use other hosting website for hosting?
    ¿How?

If you can answer or link me to a tutorial i would be very grateful, also if you think this method is bad or risky, linking me to the best practices would help a lot

Thanks

xChapx, Jun 17, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's certainly possible but I'd try to do one for your personal use before you even start to think about doing it professionally.

sarahk, Jun 17, 2017 IP
  3. xChapx

xChapx Peon

Best Answers:
    Its good to know it is possible but any idea how? also is there a "best practice" for this kind of stuff?

xChapx, Jun 19, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. I don't know who digital ocean are but there are plenty of decent hosting companies - you want a reseller package though
    2. On the design front, the "best practice" list is incredibly long. You have a steep, steep learning curve ahead of you. You can always just buy templates and use plugins but you won't know how secure they are if you can't, at the very least, read the code and understand what they're doing. When I started out with WordPress templates were simple and straight forward. Haven't done one in a while but they're much more sophisticated these days and require a level of understanding to get right. My old school templates probably still work but wouldn't give a client the same professionalism that they've come to expect.

sarahk, Jun 19, 2017 IP
  5. xChapx

xChapx Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using bootstrap templates and change stuff around and let me say that while the website isn't that "Technological" it can end with good results, found a guide on the webs by the way linking it here

The problem i have right now is the lack of information, as you said i can use whatever open source stuff is around, but i am not sure why is it good or is it at all.

xChapx, Jun 19, 2017 IP
  6. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All you say is possible with wordpress. Main thing is you need to decide on business plan, what exactly you are looking for and what you wish to offer before you proceed.

webhost.uk.net, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk DigitalOcean (DO) is a very decent VPS-provider - I use them myself for most of my domains/sites. They're definitely not the cheapest, and they provide nothing in the "controller"-part - basically, what you get is a host (barebone install), and then you do whatever you want with it.

OP: Mass-hosting / producing WP-sites to make money isn't as easy as your "friend" made it out to be. What you should look into is WP MultiBlog environment, I guess, where you can basically set up so that users get their own site on the host (if you set it up correctly, you can provide redirect / own hostname as well), can pick between a multitude of ready-installed themes and plugins, or install their own, etc. Basically they get their "own" WP-install, but can benefit from multi-environment functionality, like already installed, vetted plugins and such.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 20, 2017 IP
    sarahk likes this.