1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress and SEO: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by oceanmachinery, Apr 22, 2014.

?

Has using Wordpress improved your site ranking over HTML?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
    We recently re-designed a website using Wordpress and it is virtually non-existent in Google. The old site ranked quite high for a variety of keywords and now when we check the stats maybe 15 keywords are being used in a month to bring in traffic. This is a significantly lower number than the 800 or so that used to be searched to get people to the site. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Wordpress not actually being good for SEO. A few problems are that the page names would have changed but we used 301 redirects for the old pages to the new ones. Any suggestions of if Wordpress is potentially hurting the site?

oceanmachinery, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  2. mitdrissia

mitdrissia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you give us the website url so we can check?Try to use yoast wordpress plugin for seo. This will help for sure.Also do you see keywords in your page urls or are these only numbers?let me know
    There are many possibilities why your site is not ranking well. Maybe a google update?

mitdrissia, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  3. oceanmachinery

oceanmachinery Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi. The website is http://www.adeptweddingphotography.com. We are using the SEO by Yoast plugin. One thing we know is a problem is that the homepage lacks content. But other than that one obvious problem, what might have caused this drop in traffic after switching to Wordpress? Thanks for your input so far!

oceanmachinery, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  4. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The cause of you losing traffic is the lack of content of your current homepage. Maybe your old website had more content/keywords as seen in source view as a spider than the current one. Maybe you should throw in some content on the front page, a short description, something.

webcosmo, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  5. KonRadicool

KonRadicool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Literally posted this a few minutes ago on another thread. It's a list of plugins you should install on your website to get it better optimized. Works a charm for me and additionally, sometimes when you have major changes to your website it can drop it down the rankings for a period of time till it gets re indexed properly. Install the plugins and add more content to your website, and share it around and in no time it will begin to climb its way up
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/ultimate-seo-plugins-list-for-wordpress.2717130/
    Regards
    Konrad

KonRadicool, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  6. Liam Hindson

Liam Hindson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've actually done the same thing recently, partly to help operate and change my website easily, and also to improve SEO.

I made my own website from scratch and it took ages to build up any traffic. It's only been about a week so far, but things don't really seem to be worse and I get the feeling that traffic will pick up soon.

You may want to look into the All in One SEO plugin. I've been using it for a few days now and it's been really helpful

Liam Hindson, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  7. unna

unna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please share the URL of your website.

unna, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  8. Glen11

Glen11 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's probably not Wordpress - after all, hundreds and thousands of successful bloggers use it to run their operations. It's a good bet that you need more good, high-quality, unique content on your main page and other pages, too. That's my motto - keep writing! And your customers will come to you...

Glen11, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  9. ethinoze

ethinoze Member

Best Answers:
    The problem I am 95% sure is your on page se:confused:npage seo is what gives google an idea of what your site is all about. Its either you got it right before and this time you focused more on design than seo, but here's the fact, you need to consider optimization of your page a higher priority than design, so redsign or adjust, but by all means, dont do those at the expense of how your site looks and what your site represents with google.
    also, do you have a backup of the old design?if no you made a grave mistake, because you may need it .if yes i would say set it up separately on another host and try to spot out differnces.

ethinoze, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  10. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It shouldn't be a problem with Wordpress... Just to say that it could be a reason if you used any PHP scripts or a plugin to change your link of the articles (your article name or a the first 2-3 words of your article name for example!). Was everything OK once you started with the Wordpress website? :)

patco, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  11. eljon02

eljon02 Active Member

Best Answers:
    it doesnt really matter if you are using wordpress or html. i experimented on both platforms and the results are almost the same. just do some good onpage and offpage seo and you should be fine.

eljon02, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  12. meethi jain

meethi jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason for an individual sacrificing site visitors is usually lacking content of your existing web site. Probably your current older web page got additional content/keywords while seen in origin look at as being a examine compared to existing 1. You may really should place in most content on the front web page, this short information, something.

meethi jain, May 8, 2014 IP
  13. Pooja Gupta

Pooja Gupta Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress website is good for seo. You can work on your website with proper way of different techniques of SEO and put the quality content with uniqueness. It gives benefit to you.

Pooja Gupta, May 9, 2014 IP
  14. funkymonkey12

funkymonkey12 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress it's perfect for SEO, all plug-in for SEO so easy to use , i think the problem for your visit it's because you can't compare to those who use adwords

funkymonkey12, May 9, 2014 IP
  15. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress itself doesn't add anything, all it does is make things a little bit easier serving as a CMS and has plugins. A site is not hurt or helped in the search engines by Wordpress, and if you believe the hype, Google will devalues slightly Wordpress, Tumblr, and similar in favor for their own blogs.

If you're accepting a ton of blog comments, that might be hurting your site.

If you're not constantly adding new content, that will hurt the site.

If you redirect a page to another, it passes the link strength of the previous URL, but without new traffic coming in at a similar level as it was before the 301, it's a bit like starting anew. 301 works very well to build backlinks to, but if you decide all of a sudden to change URL paths, it can be like starting from square one. *Figure out what you want your URLs to be for your posts as soon as possible when writing a new article, this is one of the basic rules*

Traditione, May 9, 2014 IP