1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WooCommerce VS others

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Ence Litsep, May 16, 2014.

Why would you or wouldn't you use WooCommerce? If you do use WooCommerce what are some of the best Features about it? If you use another source what are the best features about it? What is some general advice for someone starting an Ecommerce Site?

Ence Litsep, May 16, 2014 IP
  2. 123eCommerce

123eCommerce Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WooCommerce is very nicely presented, but the fact that it is based on wordpress, makes me not move forward. I like abantecart. Reason is very flexible product construct, flexible attributes and easy way to manage text in the cart. There are more things, but most important to me is how simple can I manage the cart, security, features and performance of application.

123eCommerce, May 18, 2014 IP
  3. Ence Litsep

Ence Litsep Active Member

Best Answers:
    So besides wordpress what would you use to create your website?

Ence Litsep, May 18, 2014 IP
  4. 123eCommerce

123eCommerce Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For ecommerce I would use Abantecart first or open cart second. If you ask about blog site, I would use Joomla or Drupal

123eCommerce, May 18, 2014 IP
  5. Ence Litsep

Best Answers:
    Why are those sites better?

Ence Litsep, May 18, 2014 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Woocommerce is pretty sound as far as wordpress plugins go and that would likely be my suggestion.

We do everything with Magento. Its the fastest way to an enterprise level solution.

N.

Nigel Lew, May 18, 2014 IP
  7. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I understand you are building strictly an online shop, it would not be a part of a larger website, but a standalone shop (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here comes the other question - have you worked with WordPress before? If so, I would greatly recommend to use WooCommerce as you will already be familiar with the interface and the way things are build from inside the WordPress panel. If not, I believe your best bet would be a fully featured ecommerce solution - I have personally used and like PrestaShop, AbanteCart and OpenCart (the last two are very similar to each other). They are all pretty good for novice users, have a low learning curve and great user experience. Moreover they provide a lot of free and low-cost plugins, as well as populated and helpful communities. You can research them all and just choose whichever looks and feels best for you. Like @Nigel Lew suggested, Magento is also a widely-used option, but seeing that you are quite new to this field, I would avoid it, as it does require some previous knowledge and experience with such tools ;)

At the end of the day the best advise I could give is to not trust advises ;) Whatever best works for someone else might not work the best for you, trust only your personal experience and taste!

Rado_ch, May 19, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise likes this.
  8. Ence Litsep

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rado. Very sound advice about advice lol. I have been messing around with word press over the last couple months. Still feel like it has lots of untapped potential for me.

What if the website was for a real store and not simply online?

Ence Litsep, May 19, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise likes this.
  9. Digital Noise

Digital Noise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am a die hard wordpress user, but I agree with the advice given here. Wordpress really struggles when it comes to ecommerce. I personally use jigoshop, but the fact that Woocommerce ripped off their code they are very similar.

To answer your last question concerning a real store. It depends if you need your POS (point of sale) to integrate into your inventory. If so, completely avoid wordpress because there is nothing out there (that I am aware of) to help you. Normally the POS company will have their own software or recommend a 3rd party.

Good luck!

Digital Noise, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  10. jimbo83

jimbo83 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am currently using woo commerce but don't have a clue where to store my software files for downloads to my customers. I know I can upload my ebooks to my website but it becomes a problem when trying to upload tons of software. Can some point me in the right direction?

jimbo83, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  11. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Not sure if this is what you need but you might want to check this tutorial:

http://uploadwp.com/woocommerce-digital-download-products-tutorial/

Hope it helps ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 4, 2014 IP
  12. Michael Jon Lazar

Michael Jon Lazar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have heard many good things about WooCommerce. There are a ton of plugins that you can consider using, too, which can help you automate many processes. I've helped work on a WooCommerce shipping plug-in, and you will also find that WooThemes has plenty to offer. While there are some other good ecommerce platforms, I did some research and WooCommerce is used by about 10% of all stores online, it's one of the biggest I have found aside from Shopify.

Michael Jon Lazar, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  13. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To date I haven't found anything more sophisticated than WooCommerce.

giorgioarmani, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  14. Etoot

Etoot Member

Best Answers:
    Woocommerce is an eCommerce plugin used in collaboration with wordpress to build eCommerce sites. It is suitable for stores who has few hundred products. It is not good for eCommerce stores which warehouses thousands of products. But for larger sites magento is the viable option.

Etoot, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  15. chrislim2888

chrislim2888 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depend on what you are going to sell on your e-commerce site? But, I will prefer an e-commerce built oriented solution, such as Magento, Prestashop, OpenCart, Shopify, and so on. An e-commerce solution on top of wordpress framework may not be my choice, unless I'm selling some simple products with few offerings. Just my 2-cents.

chrislim2888, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  16. DeborahYoung

DeborahYoung Peon

Best Answers:
    Woocommerce is a very good and most popular e-coerce plugin for WordPress. There is a large amount of information, documentation, videos, etc. Various new features are also added to woo commerce as new and improved product panel, easier email template editing, new line-item storage. There are some tips to start successful e-commerce business:
    # Decide what you want to do and your niche.
    # Make a plan.
    # Fund your business at a low cost.
    # create a website.
    # Drive traffic.
    # And the most important thing follow the rules and regulation.

DeborahYoung, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  17. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    I'm not against eCommerce solutions, even quite the opposite - I do love PrestaShop and have also spent some time with OpenCart - they are very nice. What I don't feel right is ditching WooCommerce as an option, simply because its based on WordPress. And many people do that. Remember a few years back when WordPress was solely recommended as a blog solution? Look at it now - people are using it left and right and creating marvelous looking websites with it. And for people familiar with it, WooCommerce would require little to no extra learning as the setup and settings are no different than the WP ones.

Imagine if you are a merchant. You start with an idea - you want a website so you can sell your goods. You know the basic scope of your project and you need to start somewhere. Would you choose an option that you can easily operate and will fit the requirements of your project or you will choose something solely because it was "built for making shops". Magento is a great example for that - novice users would spend hours and hours bumping their heads against the wall just to get started, its really that complicated for people with no knowledge. And I am not sure where you got the idea that just because WooCommerce is not a separate eCommerce solution, then it wouldn't be suitable for larger shops. Heck, I've seen shops with 50-100k products on a WooCommerce shop running flawlessly. I actually believe the opposite is more accurate - most people are using eCommerce solutions without needing even 50% of their capacity.

In my mind there are passengers for all kinds of vehicles, but if you are aware of your skills and requirements you will have no troubles choosing the best for you ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 24, 2014 IP
  18. Solid Commerce

Solid Commerce Member

Best Answers:
    WooCommerce is a very popular solution. It's easy to use, and can jack into a ton of different plugins, giving a lot of sellers the functionality that they want/need for their online store.

A couple of other solutions that -- while paid -- are comparable in their functionality and ease of use. 3dCart and BigCommerce are two really popular hosted shopping cart options, and with good cause. They're both super easy to use, and they integrate with a ton of other great solutions and products.

Especially for newer sellers, these are great options due to their easy out-of-the-box functionality. You won't need to spend hours coding or working with a developer to get your site looking and feeling exactly the way you want it to...which is always nice. :)

Solid Commerce, Jul 2, 2014 IP
  19. ChristyMathew

ChristyMathew Member

Best Answers:
    when comparing to others, woocommerce is great.

ChristyMathew, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  20. Villasforrentinsrilanka

Villasforrentinsrilanka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes i Agree.. i have used WooCommerce..