1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WooCommerce vs other ecommerce

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by dragonforce-europe, Aug 9, 2013.

Hi,

I want to learn E-Commerce, but i am having some troubles ( for almost a month now!) finding out what is the best one for me.

I can learn Wordpress and also learn Woocommerce ( which should just be a extension to it ) or learn a complete new system like for example Magento.

The problem i am facing is, that i am more of a designer instead of a coder. And if i learn how to code, then my imagination will fail (thats just how i am) because i will look at things more differently.

Furthermore, i have googled for a month now, and people are recommending OsCommerce, while others are advicing Virtuemart and so on and so on.

I know its more of a personal question, and there might be no real good awnser to it. Yet, i hope with the help of you guys, i will get the awnser i am craving for so long now. Because i am getting tired of doing research all the time, and getting no real awnser.

So my question to you is as following: Should i learn Wordpress and add WooCommerce to it (saving me time) or should i go to the Mighty Magento and spend months just to learn how everything works?

I want to make websites and E-Commerce websites as quick as possible while making less use of code.

dragonforce-europe, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  2. marht

marht Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi dragonforce-europe,
    I would recommand Wordpress + WooCommerce or Wordpress + Jigoshop.

You will have your site up and running within hours.
    Download a nice theme or customize your current one with css and create a great shop.

Good luck

marht, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  3. dragonforce-europe

dragonforce-europe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Another reason why i have so much trouble, is because i want to add the following payment gateways to it:

1) Credit Card
    2) iDeal
    3) UnionPay
    4) AliPay
    5) Paypal
    6) Gift Cards

dragonforce-europe, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Magento is your enterprise level solution here that is still free. Oscommerce is complete piece of unusable shit. Stay far away from that and zencart as well really.

Prestashop is pretty fun and has an easier learning curve.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  5. SlimCharles47

SlimCharles47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on what you're saying, I'd have to say that Magento would probably not be a good fit. It's the dominant eCommerce platform, but it needs work out of the box and is a better fit for larger stores. You could also consider OpenCart as an option, but in your situation I would recommend WordPress with an extension such as WooCommerce or WP eCommerce. This blog post gets a little deeper into to using WordPress as an eCommerce platform - http://blog.nexcess.net/2013/04/23/using-wordpress-as-an-ecommerce-platform/ Good luck!

SlimCharles47, Oct 18, 2013 IP