1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WooCommerce and large video files for upload during sales process

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Chloe14, Aug 9, 2016.

Hi there,

I am building a Wordpress site, using WooCommerce for the eCommerce platform, and I need to integrate as part of the sales path a step where the customers is invited to upload large video files which will then later be dispatched to one of my team members.

I need a system where I can easily plug into the API and automate a few processes, but also a fast one where the upload will be as fast as possible for the customer.

How would you suggest I handle this? What platform/database/software/plugin would you recommend in this situation based on your knowledge and experience? What are the potential drawbacks?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Chloe

Chloe14, Aug 9, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What you first need to understand is that as long as you host this site on something at least fairly decent (Gbps line, minimum), the bottleneck won't be your setup (unless you have hundreds of user simultaneously trying to upload these videos), it will be the customer's outgoing bandwidth - which for most users in the world, is pure garbage. I dunno what kind of videos these are, but you might wanna try making something that can record video (if it is a recording) directly to your server - that way the customer don't have to first make the video, before uploading it - it's basically streamed to your server and stored there. However, that will only be viable if the recording is a made recording, and not something ready-made the customer attaches.

Places like Youtube and similar have vast serverfarms, and bandwidth is never a problem, hence they have fast receiving servers - however, full-HD video uploaded to YT still takes time, depending on what the user has available.

I don't know about using Wordpress / WooCommerce for this, as I have no clue as to what plugins might be good, but it shouldn't be hard to allow for a video upload. Getting the video to team-members might need custom coding, but it will probably not be too hard to integrate some sort of on-demand notification system, either via email or other means.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 9, 2016 IP
  3. Chloe14

Chloe14 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks PoPSiCLe, although they are not recordings. They are multiple and large video files that they will upload at once. I was initially thinking of using a solution such as Dropbox so they can first sync all their files onto their Dropbox on their computer and then simply choose a "copy from Dropbox" solution.

I understand it may be slow depending on their connection, but ideally they leave it for upload to their account for a few days before purchasing.

I have to admit that I am not a developer, merely a digital producer, and I am looking for guidance to determine the specs and requirements before dropping this big project onto a non-suspecting developer who will have fun dealing with this... :)

Chloe14, Aug 9, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, a dropbox link would probably be good. You will need a server-setup with proper bandwidth, and preferably something capable of maintaining multiple connections at once. When you say large files - how large are we talking?

PoPSiCLe, Aug 9, 2016 IP
  5. Chloe14

Chloe14 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    About 10 to 30 Go each time (multiple files adding up to). Is there another (better/faster) option than Dropbox? I've ran into big security issues with them and I am very unhappy about the way they have handled the support request.

Chloe14, Aug 11, 2016 IP