1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Woo Hoo!! Number 2 and 3 on MSN

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by soultime, May 23, 2006.

Hi Guys,

I built a web page for a keyword that brings in 5000 searches per DAY

Full points for attempting it:D

A month later now, I have had exactly 7 uniques over the last few days. I notice I am in 2nd and 3rd position on MSN serps

I am indexed in google but no visitors.

My question is, how can overture be so different from MSN? I imagine there might be swings and we only use the overture tool as a rough guideline. I can see differences of 40% even 60% might be possible.

But to be getting absolutely no traffic in second spot for a keyword that overture identifies as having over 150,000 searches per month is just twisting my mind. If I had a cat I'd kick it :p

I dont know about your experiences, but I have been an online marketer for over 10 months now. (Im a retired small business owner) I had some roaring initial success with clickbank thanks to a couple of affiliates with decent sized lists that put a lot of money my way. That has since dwindled to under a few hundred per month since no new affiliates came to replace them.

I was grateful for that but I don't discount my own "sweat equity" that I put into those two projects. My second two sunk like stone ducks. I have launched several websites and even though I am willing to work like a madman and do. It seems much of my effort, as high as 70% is futile.

It is hard to put my finger on the right path to take. Sure, there are several options that stand out and getting a reasonable income stream has always been my first priority. It doesnt have to be much but it must be reliable (as possible anyway)

Consequently I spend a lot of time assessing my next move and end up doing very little. I am also cautious of making mistakes and burning bridges with people like google etc. The third problem is that I jump into things and launch into a 5 day marathon writing spree. I dont sleep, I dont even eat, I just work.

I am sort of all over the place and not comitted or confident on any single avenue. Then I get things like this that completely baffle me. How in the HEC can overture report 5000 searches per day and MSN not deliver even a 10
    per day.

This whole internet thing is sorely missing one thing. Empirical evidence.:D

Rant ends/:D

soultime, May 23, 2006 IP
  2. xtreme fever

xtreme fever Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can be the last listing in my keyword search on google and get more visitors than being number 1 on msn.

xtreme fever, May 23, 2006 IP
  3. soultime

soultime Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks,

Im sure thats the case, I just hate accepting it.

4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Overture does include MSN data since overture supply the ads for MSN (although this has just changed in the US).

Overture is also wildly inaccurate.

mad4, May 23, 2006 IP
  5. soultime

soultime Guest

Best Answers:
    I assumed this, but such a diversion? I was expecting to get at least a few hundred per day from MSN if not better. I even dared to believe that overture was on the low side...:D

Having said that, is there an alternative? Word tracker and everyone else all repackage overtures stats (to my knowledge- please correct me if I am mistaken)

As far as I can discern, overture is the only SE offering their search data. Google dont and MSN dont. What other data can possibly be relevant.

If I can't rely on overture then I must go back to my keyword dart board:D

Thanks

6. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google do offer their data if you are an Adwords account holder. Or there is an external tool.

mad4, May 23, 2006 IP
  7. DaVe™

DaVe™ Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't get any figures though, all you get is a bar showing Search Volume
    (unless they've changed it)

DaVe™, May 23, 2006 IP
  8. soultime

soultime Guest

Best Answers:
    Thankyou Mad4

Since you have added value to this thread I will do the same.

But the link you presented only shows little blue bars. What the hell do they mean? How do I use them? I want empirical evidence. Hard numbers that give me the green light to spend another 6 nights locked away in my "war room" batting away at the keyboard. I need help and I am at a point where I am not afraid to ask directly.

One of my keywords that I will now give away, which has been scrutinized extensively for competition I will give you in a minute. But here is possibly a much more useful Google tool. Its called google trends.
    http://www.google.com/trends

I have an adwords account but there is nothing in there that I have seen that would give me concrete, actionable information. I will look at it again tonight but I dont remember seeing anything other then insignificant blue bars that I could never make a keyword decision with.

One of my keywords is "Australian Visa" (I am an aussie)
    Overture cuts it at 1000 per day.

If anybody else wants to ad value to this thread I welcome the gesture:)

9. soultime

soultime Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry,

Trademark Dave and I posted at the same time.

10. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    In Adwords you can state your bids for an advert and it tells you the estimated number of clicks you are likely to get per day. For example you can bid £1 for the term web hosting and it says you will be in position 5 and get 200 clicks per day.

Assuming an average click through rate of 1 - 2% this means there are 10 -20,000 searches per day.

mad4, May 23, 2006 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  11. soultime

soultime Guest

Best Answers:
    HI Mad4

I just had a quick look at it and I see your point.

I can see how one could get adept at spotting keywords by using this tool

thanks

12. jimKeough

jimKeough Peon

Best Answers:
    i always seem to get high msn rankings before yahoo and google. i think msn weighs keyword density and keywork linking very highly and there seems to be no weight on the age of a site.

jimKeough, May 23, 2006 IP
  13. mikebrad0927

mikebrad0927 Peon

Best Answers:
    MSN also seems to like fresh links. My sites always soar to the top and then slowly fade away on MSN just as yahoo and google are moving them up in the serps

mikebrad0927, May 23, 2006 IP