1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wondering if its possible to create a site where visitors can upload img & write text?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by gurrman, Aug 9, 2019.

Hey there! I’d really appreciate your help here. For context: I am going to create a webpage for a junior basketball team. The main purpose of this page is for the parents and the children of the team to be able to go to the site and see which parents belong to which child. It’s also a way for the parents to become a little familiar with each other. So, there’s going to be pictures of everyone, and lines between children and their parents. I’m also going to have some text (Name and a Fun fact) next to the picture of each parent.

Here’s the question: Best case is if there was a way for the parents themselves to upload their picture and enter their Fun fact. My initial thought was that I can create a free Wix Site, and then send instructions to the parents as to how to log into the site and upload the picture + enter their Fun fact. But it would be nice if there was an easier solution, where they could just go to the site and click “Upload” for the image, and enter some text into a field for their Fun fact. Do you think it’s possible?
    SEMrush
    A million thank you. :)

gurrman, Aug 9, 2019 IP
    SEMrush
  2. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    Heey,
    Nice idea! There surely is a better solution.
    Firstly, you need to find a web hosting provider which supports WordPress. My suggestions - Hostinger (the cheapest one and my favorite) and A2Hosting.
    If you don't have a domain name already - register it. https://www.hostinger.com/domain-checker
    If you already do. This is a tutorial on how to point it to your hosting: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-point-domain-to-hostinger
    Now create a website and use an auto-installer to install WordPress. https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress#Option-1-8211-Installing-WordPress-With-Hostinger-Auto-Installer
    Pick a theme and customize your site.
    WordPress itself doesn't provide a way for your site's users to upload files or submit new content. If you have a client, site authors, or other users who need to submit files, you can use a plugin to add this functionality to your site. There are a handful of high-quality plugins that can add a file upload form to your site.
    • WPForms
    • WordPress File Upload
    • FrontEnd Uploader
    • WP User Frontend
    Hope it helps!

webbp0int, Aug 9, 2019 IP
  3. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-install-wordpress-plugins this is a link on how to install plugins.

webbp0int, Aug 9, 2019 IP
  4. gurrman

gurrman Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much webbp0int for the detailed reply.

Two follow up questions:
    - As the users upload their files (i.e. images) I will still have to place the files into the correct positions at the page, manually, right?
    - Do you know if there's a drag and drop design functionality for Wordpress? I have a certain design layout in mind, and know how I can get this done at Wix as it's drag-and-drop, but would love to do it in Wordpress as long as I am able to.

Thank you!

gurrman, Aug 11, 2019 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. First up, you need everyone to log in - either using an account they create or a social login (fb, google) or you will have submissions from every spam bot on the internet

2. It's super easy to put text over an image - but I'd recommend that you also keep the original image so that you can edit the "fun fact" just in case what's given isn't PG rated ("lets fucking win this season") or might be inflammatory (eg #MAGA, #BlueWave) - lets leave the parents to find out each other's foibles the old fashioned way.

3. WordPress is a good option but you'd be looking for a plugin that does what you're looking for. Drag and drop is possible but it might take a lot of trial and error to find the right plugin. I can't recommend one. Alternatively, you could go for a simple drop-down system to identify the parents (make sure you allow for at least 4 "parents" per child if you're trying to identify who is on the sideline each week). It'd be easy for a programmer to write depending on how much you want to spend. Probably a bit much for a beginner but someone who has dabbled and was prepared to do the R&D would get there eventually.

4. You also need to be able to have more than one team in the system - Raiders 2018, Raiders 2019, Raiders 2020, Raiders 1 2019, Raiders 2 2019 etc. Having the history of the teams up years later can be nostalgic

5. Consider how public this site is - do you want anyone to be able to access this information? You may want to require a login to view (see #1). We've had kids under protective orders where other parents need to ensure any photos they share online of the game, training etc do not show the child. You wouldn't want to unwittingly out a child or a foster family, even years later.

sarahk, Aug 11, 2019 IP
  6. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the first one for sure. I guess not, you can manage it that way so the files automatically appear where they suppose to.
    I found a link for you about WP drag and drop plugins. https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/best-drag-and-drop-page-builders-for-wordpress/
    and here's how to install them: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-install-wordpress-plugins I used only Elementor and it was quite nice.

webbp0int, Aug 12, 2019 IP