1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

with our without www.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DarrenC, Jan 29, 2005.

I've seen this discussed on various SEO forums.

How many of you do a 301 direct to direct domain.com to www.domain.com?

What are the benefits of doing this?

Or is it just a waste of time?

DarrenC, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi

I generally do it on all our domains.

It's more or less for G's benefit as they seem never or not consistantly be able to update their domain db (sometimes they seem to loose it completly) and may penalize as it thinks it sees duplicate content.

It also takes care of the problem of making sure other sites link to the right domain.

If they use any checker they will see a 301 recommending to change the link.

Cheers
    Expat

expat, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  3. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    At first, I tried to get everybody to link to http://ki4bbo.org, but for some reason, my pagerank never changed (it actually decreased) for http://ki4bbo.org, so, I tried changing it to www.ki4bbo.org, and my pagerank literaly trippled for www.ki4bbo.org, I am not sure why this is, but I think it might have something to do with subdomains getting some of the main domains page rank.

Josh

Josh, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  4. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just have it setup so that example.com is the default and www.example.com points to the same physical files on disk, so you can access everything from both locations. I always submit using the www.example.com style though, so that's what usually gets picked up by the search engines. I haven't seen anything to suggest that I get penalised for this (presumably if Google thinks www.example.com is duplicate content then it will only index example.com - either way one gets indexed so I'm not too bothered which).

pwaring, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  5. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I do it just the opposite. I prefer without the www, prefer to be linked to without the www; but nobody listens. So I do the 301 redirect.

flawebworks, Jan 29, 2005 IP