1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by wolvereen123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i partially agree with your post. It depends on what you think amateurs are. Most people want to get their work done without getting into any complications.... I didn't understand the line "for real work, unix is the MACK truck". Do you mean there aren't any professional programmers or designers that use the windows platform?? If you think so then you are wrong..

karan.digital, Jul 8, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Professional programmers use Windows when they have to code for Windows. Makes sense. When professional programmers have a choice, they choose *nix. Dennis Ritchie said, when given a Windows box, the first thing he does is install cygwin so he can become productive.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 8, 2011 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use computer since 1985 (then CPM)
    win95 since 1997 for one year
    then since 1998 only suse / openSuSE Linux for all work (and limited dual boot WIN for a very few applications that earlier years did NOT run under wine)

all my servers run opensuse Linux as well as all my laptop workstations
    the reasons / Pros for Linux are simple

security
    opensource ( NO hidden backdoors ) = TRUST
    stability
    progressive frequent updates/fixes new features

the free cost factor is NO pro - I purchased most of my earlier CD/DVD sets as a contribution to LInux development - quality has its price and thus needs financial support

the security and stability as well as overall cost of operation certainly is a factor/reason why more and more corporate or government environment (such as a few years ago the 3000 servers from Swiss federal government) change to opensource/Linux and thus away from Microsoft proprietary systems

while many years ago Linux may have been tricky to install initially
    I remember in early years 1997 till XP age that Windows - unless preinstalled by OEM - was even more time consuming to install than LInux.

my last openSuSE install on a HP EliteBook 8740w Mobile Workstation - installed openSuSE 11.4 from a downlaod DVD and absolutely all basic features/functions including instant wlan worked out of the box without any tweaking. NO more dual boot on my workstation - only clean trustworthy Linux!

may be one little "trick" for more Linux success is to chose a computer after consulting the compatibility lists available online or by choosing a computer manufacturer known to use HW supported by Linux or even offering Linux as pre-installed OEM option (such major manufacturers for example would be Acer and HP ( and surely many others)

in our still ongoing or even worsening global economy crisis across all continents, cost savings, total cost of operation, stability and security certainly are a factor more important than whether or not you can play a certain game on a computer or not.

a week ago, my fully licensed Vista home on my old Acer got BLOCKED by Microsoft = invalid OS license - after 4 years of repeated use on an ORIGINAL Acer OEM license
    that laptop now is no longer useful as the license is blocked and all windows apps blocked
    the simple fact that Microsoft infringes privacy to spy or manipulate or even "shut down" an entire production system is proof enough that Microsoft is NO trustworthy partner for important work A Google search showed that countless other windows users with valid lOS license have same problems
    when another company you paid a legal license is spying and controlling your own computer without you ever seeing what they do and what data M collects from your computer ...
    then there is a most serious trust and privacy issue. I would call such action by Microsoft as simple plain and criminal cyber terrorism

hans, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Companies like IBM, Google and a multitude of others have contributed financially and with people to the support of open source projects for decades.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that is correct and regular users too should support whatever OS they enjoy for work
    HP also does support Linux and as a result I do work with an HP EliteBook 8740w Mobile Workstation to support financially those who support what I love and enjoy to use
    support of Linux by individuals is possible and should be default
    either by donating to Linux projects or by purchasing their Linux dist of choice from their dist creator
    FREE as in freedom in no way means free as per $
    to always expect the industry or OTHERS to pay for own benefits may be cheap for wrong attitude

unfortunately much of the global Linux community uses Linux only because it is financially free
    and then these very same ppl complain about missing features, etc

hans, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  6. wasabi-kun

wasabi-kun Peon

Best Answers:
    natty narwal ftw

wasabi-kun, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  7. brill301

brill301 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both side by side using the seemless feature on virtual box. However, I prefer Linux

brill301, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  8. Ruddo

Ruddo Member

Best Answers:
    Windows because its easier to use

Ruddo, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  9. brill301

brill301 Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows because, I used it before linux and I am used to it, therefore, it s easier to use

*Fixed that for you!

brill301, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  10. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Haha! I like that.

Alastair Gilfillan, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  11. kenny5

kenny5 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a Windows guy, haven't had much experience with Linux but I've heard it's really complicated, most people don't want to deal with complicated, which is why Windows is much more popular.

kenny5, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Real trucks are more complicated than toy trucks.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  13. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    Not at all; most people didn't ask themselves "Should I start with Windows or Linux?" before they bought their computer. Windows is more popular because it's more popular...because of marketing.

14. pri2sh

pri2sh Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have tried ubuntu , and i feel windows to be more comfortable and easy .

Android may get popular as mobile OS but IMO windows will still rule desktop reason for it will be popular windows apps

pri2sh, Jul 10, 2011 IP
  15. Alastair Gilfillan

Best Answers:
    Let me guess; you tried Windows for a decade and Ubuntu for 10 minutes? :p

Such as? Microsoft's office suite's popular for Windows and MacOS but more and more people use Google Docs and LibreOffice. I have no idea which "apps" the average computer user installs but my guess is that it's an office suite (usually MS) and a web browser (more people go to efforts to not use IE than put with it). As consumers get even more desktop options (and even more affordable ones), I can't see Windows gaining market share...especially after seeing what the next version will be like!

16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The shift is on from the desktop to mobile for average users. Microsoft is almost non-existent on mobile (phones and tablets).

drhowarddrfine, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  17. amkeabhi123

amkeabhi123 Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for sharing the window and linux different so thanks again

amkeabhi123, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  18. J-Solutions

J-Solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say linux, definetly.
    Much more secured, no viruses and very powerful.
    It's shame that linux can't run very much games.

I would have linux as my OS if it would run games correctly.
    But well, windows for games, linux for servers.

I have experiences of Debian, CentOS, Gentoo and Ubuntu.

J-Solutions, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  19. lumpy

lumpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey guys. I'm really tempted to try Linux but I'm not sure if it would fulfill my needs. I don't play games on the computer, I'm a programmer and a blogger. I do a lot of programming and content writing, photo editing & stuff like that. Should I give it a try or stick to Windows?

lumpy, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Why wouldn't it?

drhowarddrfine, Jul 27, 2011 IP